Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I hope the Bruins sign Swayman long term for $10+ million. Anything to make their cap situation tighter and force them to continue relying on Pasta to carry their offense. If they trade him, I hope the Bruins finally start to friggin decline. We been waiting ages lol

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm surprised the Leafs didn't sign Hakanpaa and LTIR'd him.

I hope we sign him on a league minimum. Even with his bum knee, if he plays 30ish games, that'd be 30 games where he'd be better than Hamonic

• Haha
Reactions: DylanSensFan

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I'm surprised the Leafs didn't sign Hakanpaa and LTIR'd him.

I hope we sign him on a league minimum. Even with his bum knee, if he plays 30ish games, that'd be 30 games where he'd be better than Hamonic

The fact that they didn't do this probably points to them thinking he won't be able to play at all. As much as they Leafs can burn money, if he is completely done, giving him 3M for nothing doesn't make much sense.

Even if there is a slim chance they be might coke back, they also might be afraid of scrutiny from the league if they knowingly sign someone who won't play during the regular season and then activate him for the playoffs.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
The fact that they didn't do this probably points to them thinking he won't be able to play at all. As much as they Leafs can burn money, if he is completely done, giving him 3M for nothing doesn't make much sense.

Even if there is a slim chance they be might coke back, they also might be afraid of scrutiny from the league if they knowingly sign someone who won't play during the regular season and then activate him for the playoffs.
Laughing at, "scrutiny from the league". Vegas and Tampa sitting with me getting a chuckle at that.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Laughing at, "scrutiny from the league". Vegas and Tampa sitting with me getting a chuckle at that.

This is a different context. This past summer, the league apparently communicated that they would scrutinize contracts meant to circumvent the cap. This did involve Tampa, because Stamkos was one of the players this warning was meant for. There was smoke that because a few players like Stamkos, and Tanev were 34 years old that teams would sign them to long term deals destined for LTIR. The NHL has the 35+ contract rules to close up that loophole, but because the players were just under 35, they weren't subject to those limitations.

With the above in mind, I suspect they wouldn't like the idea of a team finalizing a contract with a player who has an injury that makes it very unlikely they will play at all because the only reasonable conclusion would be that Toronto is gambling on the player possibly being available down the road in the playoffs.

Reactions: Blotto71

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
This is a different context. This past summer, the league apparently communicated that they would scrutinize contracts meant to circumvent the cap. This did involve Tampa, because Stamkos was one of the players this warning was meant for. There was smoke that because a few players like Stamkos, and Tanev were 34 years old that teams would sign them to long term deals destined for LTIR. The NHL has the 35+ contract rules to close up that loophole, but because the players were just under 35, they weren't subject to those limitations.

With the above in mind, I suspect they wouldn't like the idea of a team finalizing a contract with a player who has an injury that makes it very unlikely they will play at all because the only reasonable conclusion would be that Toronto is gambling on the player possibly being available down the road in the playoffs.
Not buying what the league is selling - and definitely don't think that a contract to the likes of Hakanpaa would be the preverbial straw that broke the camels back. The NHL would back any play the Leafs made here.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mark Cubans take on the Pittsburgh Pirates is interesting. Leaves fans commenting they feel the Leaves are just a business model to print money and there is no incentive to win - they just ice whatever 20 skaters they want and it’s a sell out every game. Nobody within the ownership group cares if they win a Cup and this ownership group never will.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Mark Cubans take on the Pittsburgh Pirates is interesting. Leaves fans commenting they feel the Leaves are just a business model to print money and there is no incentive to win - they just ice whatever 20 skaters they want and it’s a sell out every game. Nobody within the ownership group cares if they win a Cup and this ownership group never will.

The Leafs are partly owned by Rogers who paid a significant amount for the Canadian rights deal.

The Leafs failing to make a deep run has a direct effect on how much money Rogers was able to recoup on that deal. It also has a direct effect on HRR, which the Leafs organization is entitled to.

I think the reality is that they haven't made the right choices, and have not done a good enough job. Saying "they don't care" is a way to absolve them of their failures.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

It would be absolutely hilarious if the Leafs tried to pull a TBL or VGK, and the league hammered down lol

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It would be absolutely hilarious if the Leafs tried to pull a TBL or VGK, and the league hammered down lol

I still don't get what is a TBL or VGK while people continue mentioning it. I mean we used the LTIR all season last year but we didn't make the playoffs. It's the same rules for every team : the cap doesn't count in the playoffs so all it takes is the right timing for a previously LTIRed player.

Unless a hip surgery is faked, I don't see what a TBL is.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You must be proud whipping this meme up on your blackberry while sitting on your davenport.

Cheers to your accomplishment old champ.
1724972221480.gif

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I still don't get what is a TBL or VGK while people continue mentioning it. I mean we used the LTIR all season last year but we didn't make the playoffs. It's the same rules for every team : the cap doesn't count in the playoffs so all it takes is the right timing for a previously LTIRed player.

Unless a hip surgery is faked, I don't see what a TBL is.
Are you just being sarcastic? Hard to tell with text. But just in case you're serious, Tampa Bay Lightening, Vegas Golden Knights.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Are you just being sarcastic? Hard to tell with text. But just in case you're serious, Tampa Bay Lightening, Vegas Golden Knights.

No I know, of course lol, more the big deal that is made about it... I don't think the Lightning wanted Kucherov to have his hip replaced... but it happened, his recovery was actually quite faster than the regular human being. There was no garantee he would be the same player after or that he would be back in time for the playoffs.

It was the 56-game Covid season, everything was unknown... stars aligned for them, they played by the rules, that's all

The debate should be that the cap should ALSO count in the playoffs but I don't know about all the things at play for that to happen.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I didn't hear Cubans take but the Leaves winning the cup would be worth hundreds of millions to TMLSE.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
You don't want to use the trite phrase that silence is deafening, but the silence is pretty dang deafening right now as we creep into the morning hours on the East coast.

That and I'd like to think Peel isn't that crazy enough to push something that major without at least a genuine belief - from somewhere - that it's true. This ain't a trade rumor we're talking about, here. It's not the kind of thing you'd just make up; the consequences of being caught in a lie would be way too devastating.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I didn't hear Cubans take but the Leaves winning the cup would be worth hundreds of millions to TMLSE.

Corporations leave their goaltending to Jack Campbell and Yola Samsonov. Hockey owners who are fans trust their goaltending to Linus Ulmark

Reactions: Fandlauer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad