Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Very sad news

My heart goes out to Johnny's young family, the kids losing their dad and his wife losing her partner.
GWO1YwUX0AEKOXH
GWOxbyqXYAIMyFa

Last edited:
Reactions: guyzeur

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Very sad news. Shocking to hear Johnny hockey and his brother Matthew have died.
You never can tell what might come down
You never can tell way you might check out

Quote from Tom Cochrane's song Big League

Last edited:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Absolutely brutal. I can't imagine what the Gaudreau family is going through. My condolences to the Gaudreau family.

Reactions: Icelevel

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Such a sad turn of events. My heart goes out to them. Alcohol destroying more lives and affecting so many others in one bad decision. We had a similar incident recently where I live and it sure makes me question ever riding my bike when it's not isolated from roadways.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I still don't get what is a TBL or VGK while people continue mentioning it. I mean we used the LTIR all season last year but we didn't make the playoffs. It's the same rules for every team : the cap doesn't count in the playoffs so all it takes is the right timing for a previously LTIRed player.

Unless a hip surgery is faked, I don't see what a TBL is.
I think it refers to teams using the LTIR because players are injured, but then certain high calibre players coming back in time for the playoffs as early as round 1, game 1. Some of these teams have been over the cap quite a bit during the playoffs and it makes a perception of it being unfair.

Not that I have an opinion on it, but just think its amusing the amount of backlash over teams using the LTIR to end up with over the top cap teams in the playoffs.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
Damn.

This guts me hard. Guy was 31 years old and out for a stroll on his bike with his brother and because of some asshole who decided that he was good enough to drive after having drank, someone's life is gone and a career cut off too shortly.

As someone who suffered through the loss of a parent due to drunk driving, this just angers me to no end. And I speak as the person who lost their family member BECAUSE they took that decision to drink and drive and did not make it home. It angers, saddens and frustrates me that people believe they are invincible without realizing the cost of their decisions.

I hope the family gets all the support they need through this trying time. And my heart goes out to his wife and young children who have to grow up without their father in their lives because of this decision.

Such an avoidable tragedy. Just gutted.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Carleton Place, ON
A drunk driver and passing on the right.
and trying to pass two cars to boot.

There's literally zero reasons for this to have happened except impatience and ineptitude and terrible decision making. Compound this with the fact the guy told the cops he had 5-6 beers?

Gods. There's just no words for how angry this makes me.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Much of June and July was spent complaining about photo-radar.
we spent much of winter fighting over speeding and cars
Much of June and July was bitching about cyclists
TSN 1200's morning show, spent either Monday or Tuesday discussing Photo-radar and evading it.

We bitch and complain. We want our lives as we want them and f*** you to anyone who tries to stop us.

We speed, commit infractions regularly. And curse any and all who complain.

NOW YOU SEE the end result!!!!!!!

They traced a human gene to 200,000 years ago, They call it the Eve gene. In reference to Adam and Eve. The reality is, some 200,000, there were many homosapiens. And most probably originated from one batch of primordial goop. So 200,000 years of us being "quasi human". Yet we have still to take a second step out of the cave.

One Neanderthal, with a f*** you attitude. 2 dead, 20-30 lives forever altered.

Animals kill for food or protection. We kill because of alcohol, being in a rush and being morons. We human are suppose to be the dominant species on this planet. Really! Most monkies would be ashamed.

Rest in Peace John. Now let's see how many will be buzzing like mad men this weekend. And how many of you will be sauced!!!!!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I will indeed be sauced this weekend. Of course I won't be behind the wheel of a car. But here's the thing, in a theoretical world where I imagine trying to drive after having consumed a couple, I would be on my best behaviour. What sticks out to me is that the idea to try to pass two cars on the shoulder does not come from being drunk - the lack of inhibition in actually just doing it does, to be sure, but that means that's something this guy would otherwise have been tempted to do and hopefully managed to hold back from doing. Key word hopefully. I guess what I'm trying to say is that underlying aggressive driving strikes me as the real culprit here.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I will remember Johnny Hockey absolutely undressing Craig Anderson in the shootout while he was on the flames. One of the best shootout goals I’ve seen.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's the absolute senselessness of the way they were killed that gets me. Out riding a bike and are killed by a drunk driver. It's so unfair to them. It's so unfair to their families. Their friends. Everyone who knew them and cared about them. No chance to say goodbye. Young kids growing up without their dad around. All because of the actions of one person.

Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Senseless and so devastating. Their sister was to be married this weekend. Just hurt on top of hurt for the entire family.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Very sad and shocking news, condolences to the whole family and the NHL

Such a sad turn of events. My heart goes out to them. Alcohol destroying more lives and affecting so many others in one bad decision. We had a similar incident recently where I live and it sure makes me question ever riding my bike when it's not isolated from roadways.

Go ride your bike in national or provincial parks. Here we have the Sepaq parks with incredible places to bike

Pedestrians and bikes should never share the road with cars, only in places that are designed for it. It's incredible how undisciplined they are in Montreal, you have to be focused at all times, people are literally crossing the boulevards during green lights while looking at their phones. Life is so weird now because of technology, it's like if danger was not real.

I think it refers to teams using the LTIR because players are injured, but then certain high calibre players coming back in time for the playoffs as early as round 1, game 1. Some of these teams have been over the cap quite a bit during the playoffs and it makes a perception of it being unfair.

Not that I have an opinion on it, but just think its amusing the amount of backlash over teams using the LTIR to end up with over the top cap teams in the playoffs.

The hate is directed at some teams/players but what people find unfair is that the cap stops counting after the regular season. It is very simple, NHL players don't fake injuries, and doctors don't risk their lives/careers to contravene their hippocratic oath. Star players and true competitors like Stone or Kucherov certainly wouldn't accept to stay on the sidelines just like that. They are missing games because they are truly injured IN REAL LIFE. That's what I hate about internet, there's such a vast gap between the 2 realities...

Think about Ottawa, Norris or Chabot is on LTIR, we acquire a player at the deadline and we make the playoffs for the first time in 8 years. Would we be cheaters then? No, it's playing by the rules, you'd need your star player to make the playoffs but he has a serious injury so you have to make it without him. You invest to replace him and hope for the best. In the playoffs, cap doesn't count anymore, that's all. This is the same rule for all 32 teams hence why it's not cheating. Very very simple

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I had not seen this deferred payment cap tool before. Something for the inner capologist lurking in you.

Ugh, this just seems like a real headache to me... So, defer payment, enjoy a lower cap hit through a players prime, then trade the player in the last year to sell off the deferred payment liability to a team that can afford it and wants to buy picks.

I hope the league puts some serious guardrails on this and quick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ugh, this just seems like a real headache to me... So, defer payment, enjoy a lower cap hit through a players prime, then trade the player in the last year to sell off the deferred payment liability to a team that can afford it and wants to buy picks.

I hope the league puts some serious guardrails on this and quick.

I am not clear on all the ins and outs ... Its reasonable to assume in a trade the team acquiring would be on the hook for the deferred payments but its weird wrt to the cap .. I think we see more before the league steps in it is in the CBA.. not sure if the PA would oppose a change.

This thread has a bit more on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad