Around the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I wish there was a list with people Mike Commodore hates and to see if he's been right or wrong more often. He was super right about Babcock.
Right that Babcock is an a-hole. Wrong about Babcock ruining his career.

There's a reason Commodore didn't catch on anywhere else after Detroit and it wasn't Babcock.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Right that Babcock is an a-hole. Wrong about Babcock ruining his career.

There's a reason Commodore didn't catch on anywhere else after Detroit and it wasn't Babcock.

There’s a quote from Justified that I think fits.

“If you run into an asshole, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you’re the asshole.”

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
I forgot how bad playoffs officiating is. It seems to get worse by the year. With 10 seconds to go in the game the refs don't call an obvious tripping penalty against Florida. Then less than a minute into ot the refs make sure they call a clear hooking penalty on the rangers. Just brutal. I really think the officials have to be held more accountable in the nhl because it's getting worse. I fear for when the wings are back in the thick of things.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
giphy.gif
90598f9f-3bf3-483e-a086-7894820ed225_text.gif

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

[sarcasm]
And in a stunning move, Carolina goes outside the brain trust to bring in Ken Holland.

Aho to Detroit for Copp and the rights to Kyle Quincey.
[/sarcasm]

• Haha
Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010

[sarcasm]
And in a stunning move, Carolina goes outside the brain trust to bring in Ken Holland.

Aho to Detroit for Copp and the rights to Kyle Quincey.
[/sarcasm]
Also Abby and the rights to all of Dan Cleary’s children and future grandchildren.

Reactions: jkutswings

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Dallas got both Wyatt Johnson and Logan Stankoven in the 2021 draft both later than Edvinsson and Cossa.

Like yeah I know hindsight and all. Still annoying nonetheless. I'd give up Edvinsson and Cossa for those two in a heartbeat, and that's no shade to our guys at all.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Dallas got both Wyatt Johnson and Logan Stankoven in the 2021 draft both later than Edvinsson and Cossa.

Like yeah I know hindsight and all. Still annoying nonetheless. I'd give up Edvinsson and Cossa for those two in a heartbeat, and that's no shade to our guys at all.
Because Dallas already had Heiskanen and Oettinger.

I wouldn't swap.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
If Dallas had our picks, 6th and 15th you think they take those two? Not a chance(I know Dallas had 15th).

Now if you wanna say something to the effect of oh we could've had Stankoven instead of Buium, then ok fair.

It's always what have you done for me lately and playoffs amplify that, just like Laffy is now better than Raymond apparently. But if Ed is a top pairing guy and Cossa is a starting goaltender. Do we really care?

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
If Dallas had our picks, 6th and 15th you think they take those two? Not a chance(I know Dallas had 15th).

Now if you wanna say something to the effect of oh we could've had Stankoven instead of Buium, then ok fair.

It's always what have you done for me lately and playoffs amplify that, just like Laffy is now better than Raymond apparently. But if Ed is a top pairing guy and Cossa is a starting goaltender. Do we really care?

No I get it, I know thats not how drafts work. Doesn't make it any less annoying nor me any less envious though, because we haven't been able to draft an offensively gifted center for 10 years now (Larkin the last one in 2014) and seeing Dallas get two of them out nowhere in one draft is annoying regardless of how much of it was dependent on luck of where the scouts universally had those guys ranked compared to the guys we got.

Happy to be flagged in a few years should either Kasper or Danielson defies the odds and become more than just "200 foot game" guys who most closely resemble mid/low tier 2nd to high/mid tier 3rd line centers, but colour me a skeptic at least for now. Both guys have a ton of work to do to figure it out offensively.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's quite interesting, if Dallas meet Florida at SC Finals, the home crowds won't meet again for over a year.

Because they play their only season 2024-25 games in Tampere, Finland.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
No I get it, I know thats not how drafts work. Doesn't make it any less annoying nor me any less envious though, because we haven't been able to draft an offensively gifted center for 10 years now (Larkin the last one in 2014) and seeing Dallas get two of them out nowhere in one draft is annoying regardless of how much of it was dependent on luck of where the scouts universally had those guys ranked compared to the guys we got.

Happy to be flagged in a few years should either Kasper or Danielson defies the odds and become more than just "200 foot game" guys who most closely resemble low-end 2nd to high-end 3rd line centers, but colour me a skeptic at least for now.
I think that the team philosophy and circumstances regarding bringing prospects along slowly matters a lot here too. I think if we made a swap with Dallas we'd be watching Edvinsson playing next to Heiskanen and annoyed that Johnson didn't get any more than 9 games this year.

Reactions: 19 for president

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Because Dallas already had Heiskanen and Oettinger.

I wouldn't swap.
Exactly!

Having a solid D core and goalie allows you to take more risk up front. With Cossa/Augustine and Seider/Ed lined up and all looking really solid I will be very disappointed if Yzerman & Draper don't take a riskier approach to forward in the upcoming couple of drafts. Dallas was ready to go for guys like that because they had the D/Goalie locked and already had some vet forwards there to help shelter when needed.

D and Goalie also usually take the longest to fully develop, so it really makes sense to draft that first. This is especially true for bigger two way guys. Maybe Finnie becomes that guy for us in last years draft.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

If they do shop him at the draft, it'll be interesting to see what's offered. It's one thing to have several teams willing to part with picks and prospects, but I'm not sure how many will have established players to deal, since that's reportedly what Carolina wants. (Or at least was. I guess they need to name a new GM.)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

The Dallas director of scouting did an interview recently and is on record saying Wyatt Johnson far, far exceeded their expectations.

These teams are picking guys they like for different reasons but after that there's a ton of luck. Yzerman has said that many times, too, if I recall. It's not a science, unfortunately.

Reactions: Winger98

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The Dallas director of scouting did an interview recently and is on record saying Wyatt Johnson far, far exceeded their expectations.

These teams are picking guys they like for different reasons but after that there's a ton of luck. Yzerman has said that many times, too, if I recall. It's not a science, unfortunately.

including the luck of them even being available at all

without COVID cancelling Johnston's draft season he probably wouldn't have even been there at 23, same with Stankoven only playing 6 games and being there at 47

WaW

Mar 18, 2017

If they do shop him at the draft, it'll be interesting to see what's offered. It's one thing to have several teams willing to part with picks and prospects, but I'm not sure how many will have established players to deal, since that's reportedly what Carolina wants. (Or at least was. I guess they need to name a new GM.)

Yeah Im not really sure whays actually out there for them either...Carolina shouldn't get what they want IMO.

If Necas was as good as what they value him at, they simply wouldn't trade him. It doesn't actually make any sense to move him of you think he's a good 2C/top 6 forward at only 25 years old, particularly since buying out Kotkaniemi is a really cheap and feasible option for them and the cap is going up.

I'd certainly take him here because he's quite a bit better than Compher and Copp offensively, but I'm not going all in for a guy who just had 53 points in 77 games and likes to disappear when I've watched the Canes play.

WaW

Mar 18, 2017
Awesome, go Oilers.

The games in Florida are gonna be like a 50/50 fan attendance split lol.

Reactions: Kerberos

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
I think the Final shows that depth can be good and might get you some success, but to truly be a Cup threat you need a stud #1 C. Very rare for teams to win it all without one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Think Dallas would take Julius Honka and skip a guy like Dylan Larkin. :)

including the luck of them even being available at all

without COVID cancelling Johnston's draft season he probably wouldn't have even been there at 23, same with Stankoven only playing 6 games and being there at 47

I drafted Wyatt Johnston at #40 to Red Wings, at our Finnish mock draft on that time.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Would you prefer Jamie Benn?

Weirdly I think I might. None are great options but I'll take the dirty power forward over the two spot-picking rats.

Then add to that how Edmonton could pick up Perry cheap because he did something so bad his contract with the Blackhawks could be cancelled, while also apparently not so bad he should be out of the league for more than a couple months. Boys will be boys I guess, amirite?

Reactions: SoupNazi and jaster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad