Around the League Thread | The one where Florida blows it…?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Nobody got to Skinner like we did - which made our inability to get the puck to the net in Games 6 and 7 even more infuriating. :laugh:
They started forechecking then, we couldn't get the puck out or get clean breakouts which means we got no zone time and therefore no shots let alone offence from working the angle. Then it just becomes a vicious cycle.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
We weren’t good enough or mentally resilient enough to win with that group. And I think we all need to be okay with that, looking back.
I don't know. I think they were just too beat up. The mental issues seem more like coping, but perhaps that's just me coping? They had three of their top six either gone from injuries or injured to the degree they could barely play and Thomas played the series of his career.

2011 sucked because of the loss, but the universal shit fest directed at the team from the Canadian media made it a lot more bitter than need be.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Not the first time they’ve had that walk in on a break down. Both times they missed

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Thing is, they can't shoot everything. They have to work the angles if the Oilers are cutting off the middle. Make them work, make skinner work. Turtle defence also produces more traffic, it's harder to fight through the screens.

Everyone says shoot all the time but look at us vs nashville, record number of shot attempts but basically no offence generated because it plays into the shot blocking.

Having said that you need at least 24 shots a game. You just have to make sure most of those are quality shots.

And I would never seriously advocate that or do it. Just 40 minutes, all 5 guys have to be in constant motion in the O-zone. If you aren't skating, you aren't playing.

I've always to a certain extent seen O-zone play like football. Everyone without the puck is a wide receiver. Guy with the puck must be doing full 180 scans and playing keep away. Receivers need to manipulate their mark into freezing, even if for half a second. Half a second is huge in a game this fast.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Tkachuk had Skinner beat. Just missed the net. Like Kulikov before him. Hit the god damn net Panthers.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Florida’s Dmen are pinching on every play. Working in their favour now….. but one battle loss down low and it’s curtains

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Florida dominated that period but it’s 1-1. One breakdown on their aggressive pinches and allstars Brown/Henrique/Janmark are going to score the other way

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
More importantly, Florida looks 5050 or better now on puck battles.

Except for the one rush chance which is pretty much on brand for Florida, Oilers don't look nearly as threatening.

Florida defence has to be aggressive because that's their identity but I think the Oilers are taking advantage of it because they're too predictable, not because they're being aggressive. A bad pinch is a bad pinch.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Florida was fantastic to end the period and Edmonton is fortunate.

But the more this goes down to the wire in a tie game, the more I lean Edmonton because of the star power
Oilers are still due for a powerplay opportunity too

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Florida’s Dmen are pinching on every play. Working in their favour now….. but one battle loss down low and it’s curtains

I wonder if the rationale is "well, their forwards are insanely fast and our defense is slow and broken down, might as well try and get our chances". I don't agree with that, but I wonder if that's a plan. There's no way the coaches haven't addressed it if unintentional.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Solid start. Just weather the McDrai storm until the minutes start tiring them out around the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad