Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Voynov as well.
Was that via arbitration due to his arrest for DV? Wasn’t he suspended with pay pending the outcome of the charges? Can’t recall if he was still under contract at the time he returned to Russia.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Was that via arbitration due to his arrest for DV? Wasn’t he suspended with pay pending the outcome of the charges? Can’t recall if he was still under contract at the time he returned to Russia.

Incorrect! I actually just looked all this up but he was suspended with pay due to domestic violence. Then while suspended he tore his Achilles tendon playing tennis and was then suspended without pay. Then he filed for retirement so he could return to Russia and his contract was then terminated by the Kings.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Incorrect! I actually just looked all this up but he was suspended with pay due to domestic violence. Then while suspended he tore his Achilles tendon playing tennis and was then suspended without pay. Then he filed for retirement so he could return to Russia and his contract was then terminated by the Kings.
Tennis isn't exactly a dangerous activity like skiing, motorcross, jet ski, etc. Lots of players play basketball during the offseason. In a way, surprised that would be grounds for suspension without pay. Must have been specified in the contract or part of the SPC.

Had to review the RyJo thing. So, he claimed his hip was busted after he cleared waivers to be sent to the A last season.... We've seen guys land on LTIR without a surgery or anything. Did they make him take a physical or something or do an MRI at the time? Not sure how they come up with proof that he's not hurt at the time.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Doubt it's that simple. Can't see a team outright trying to terminate a guy for an actual "hockey-related" injury. Would guess the argument is going to come down to whether the injury was actually a result of club-sanctioned, hockey-related activities.
On the Flyers board earlier in the day a some mention/belief for some time that he was faking an injury. He magically played every game for the Avs, got traded, was waived and didn’t report to the Flyers because he was hurt.

Reactions: MS and TruGr1t

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh, it might. But I think goaltending prospects are generally too volatile to acquire at a cost.
When Schneider was moved he had 90 NHL appearances, of which I'm sure it was about 80 starts. Askarov has 9 periods of NHL hockey under his belt. Strong AHL stats, but still virtually nothing at the NHL level.

Really talking a prospect for prospect swap here.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
When Schneider was moved he had 90 NHL appearances, of which I'm sure it was about 80 starts. Askarov has 9 periods of NHL hockey under his belt. Strong AHL stats, but still virtually nothing at the NHL level.

Really talking a prospect for prospect swap here.
Silov and OTT4th round?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The disappearance of bridge deals for core players and diminution of long-term fingers-crossed UFA deals for aging players seems like a natural progression toward rationality and cost certainty dictated by the salary cap. The game of chicken/prisoner's dilemma that resolved it took 20 years, and I don't really get that, but it had to happen eventually.

Smart teams have been doing that for years. Look at the MacKinnon 2nd contract, and Draisatl's 2nd. They become absolute bargains in the later years of the contract, and allows the team to add pieces with that extra cap space.

Landing a big time UFA has never got any team a cup. I always thought Free Agency is a great time to add the spare pieces and not your core.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nice person, wish him well in Vegas.

But Benning giving him that contact extension at the trade deadline was stupid. Just to make his BFF Horvat happy, whatever he gone too.
Think Nash had interest in him at that TDL to recoup either a 3rd or potentially more. 2021 draft IIRC.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He just needs a fresh start, all for it in Montreal
He's had a fresh start before.

I don't think Laine will be bad, but I don't see any path to him being worth the cap hit, given his non-existent (at best) defensive game.

The Habs' top line and 1PP will also have to be significantly revamped to work in Laine.
They were obviously never going to match the absurd AAV on Broberg but I’m surprised they’re walking on Holloway who had a fine playoffs and looks to be developing into a really solid, two-way, physical middle-6 forward.
I'm also more surprised they didn't match Holloway, but it makes some sense. EDM basically needs their bottom-six wingers to be at sub-buriable cap hits. Now Holloway was too expensive.

I guess Bowman was never really going to match, he just wanted to get an extra pick back.

Reactions: andora

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
On the Flyers board earlier in the day a some mention/belief for some time that he was faking an injury. He magically played every game for the Avs, got traded, was waived and didn’t report to the Flyers because he was hurt.
Imagine following Chuck Fletcher and Tortz around in NHL circles

Bound to be a wasteland of controversy. Flyers trying to drain the swamp

RyJO is a lazy idiot, Gauthier an entitled POS, Provorov Hart DeAngelo jeesh shitty people. Kolosov sounds like is another one demanding things before doing F all.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Beniers was probably the main reason Seattle wasn’t good. 24 ES points from 1C minutes and all the prime zone starts etc.

He was about as productive as Sam Lafferty from minutes you’d expect an average top-6 C to pull 45-50 ES points from.

That said, yeah. His rookie season was promising (although he shouldn’t have won the Calder) and if he rebounds even into the 60-70 point range this will go well for them.

He had a bad sophomore slump. Guess Seattle believes in his ability to bounce back and thus prefer term vs a bridge and him regaining his form. Was expecting a bridge deal but guess the potential payoff is worth it for SEA.
Even last season, Beniers' defensive results and two-way microstat profile (transition game, retrievals, zone exits/entries), were really strong. The offensive creation was not, though. I think if Seattle had a true star player to pair with him, he would look really good as the playdriving partner.

Still, not really concerned at all. Pretty confident he will be a 60-70 points two-way center in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad