Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
McHattie is another 07 at Ayr. I am a little surprised he has not been signed but that would give us 9 signed with Morris our 08.
It's possible to move Allen at the deadline to make room for McHattie in the top 7.

Storm only drafted 2 08 Dman knowing Frossard was a flyer, which to me is an indication of their defense prospects.

StormSound

Feb 12, 2024
McHattie is another 07 at Ayr. I am a little surprised he has not been signed but that would give us 9 signed with Morris our 08.
It's possible to move Allen at the deadline to make room for McHattie in the top 7.

Storm only drafted 2 08 Dman knowing Frossard was a flyer, which to me is an indication of their defense prospects.
Agree that the last draft is a clear indication that there are a number of D in the system which they are happy with. I was actually surprised they drafted a D in the import draft but it does make sense given his size and the fact that Frossard didn’t sign.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I was very surprised that we didn’t make a serious attempt to get Malholtra from Kingston. The payment from Brantford wasn’t that much and they didn’t lose a roster player. Given his dad’s history with us I would think he might report.

Reactions: StormWatcher

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
I was hoping we would make the trade but unfortunately we couldn't compete with Brantford's draft stock in a draft pick only deal. Brantford is flush with 2nd round picks and we didn't even have a 26 2nd round pick to swap. Even the 3 conditionals would have hurt but a small price to pay for a top 08 prospect if he committed. Imagine 2 top 10 picks with McLean and Malholtra - I am sure we were in the bidding.
For this reason we need some trades this year to build our draft stock to add needed pieces the next 2 years.

Reactions: StormWatcher

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Cali trade just announced and similar to the Valentini trade, no 2026 2nd round swap.
Huge move by Brantford to add to the Malholtra deal since it was also very good for Kingston.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I agree with those saying they were surprised that Jovonovski didn't stick as opposed to Ellsworth. We'll see how it plays out this season.

I definitely think we see Allen moved at the deadline. That would help the pick cupboard. We also have an OA to trade.

Predicted D pairings pre-deadline:
Budnick/Allen
Singh/Beauschesne
Skvortsov/Topp

NHL camp season will be rough for this team, not because Guelph is leading in attendees, but because without those who will be gone our roster is very green, especially up front. A very good opportunity to see how players fit and who can earn middle 6 minutes.

Reactions: StormSound

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
I agree with those saying they were surprised that Jovonovski didn't stick as opposed to Ellsworth. We'll see how it plays out this season.

I definitely think we see Allen moved at the deadline. That would help the pick cupboard. We also have an OA to trade.

Predicted D pairings pre-deadline:
Budnick/Allen
Singh/Beauschesne
Skvortsov/Topp

NHL camp season will be rough for this team, not because Guelph is leading in attendees, but because without those who will be gone our roster is very green, especially up front. A very good opportunity to see how players fit and who can earn middle 6 minutes.

I agree we will see these D pairings

Reactions: StormSound

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
That is what I think but we shall see.

From opinions I see on these boards we are definitely an underdog with low expectations.

We have 7 prospects playing in Ayr if needed to cover injuries and suspensions.

StormFan1990

Jan 13, 2024
Do we have any thoughts on the overage situation? Personally I like Karabela, Namestikov, and McGuire. I think the D can handle themselves without Budnick, even more so with Gillespie back there. Hard to say as I think all will start on the roster for the season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Do we have any thoughts on the overage situation? Personally I like Karabela, Namestikov, and McGuire. I think the D can handle themselves without Budnick, even more so with Gillespie back there. Hard to say as I think all will start on the roster for the season.

The defence needs left shot Budnick for balance and depth imo. I don’t think any of the ‘07 D can reasonably be expected to play 25 of the tougher minutes, at least not prior to the Christmas break.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
McGuire had 13 points in 59 games and 103 pims

Budnick as a stay at home d man had 10 points in 34 games with you guys. From what I recall in Kingston- he’s a good leader and shot blocker. Would probably make more sense to keep him and maybe upgrade him later on and say bye to McGuire.

StormSound

Feb 12, 2024
Although unfortunate in a numbers game, I think McGuire will be the odd man out. The others play much needed roles. JK is a hometown boy that can score, TB is a left handed, experienced, stay at home D, and MN is a fan favorite. While McGuire brings toughness, he did spend a lot of time in the box.

Reactions: StormFan1990

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Frossard one of 10 D on Youngstown's 24 - 25 roster announced today. Includes only 1 08, 1 07 and 1 06 - 7 04's and 05's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad