Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
He also dominated the AHL is 22 and finished the year playing with Nurse outplaying Desharnais and Ceci?

You think he's a fringe player obviously?
In the playoffs, he was 34% xG% with a PDO of 110. That xG% is the worst on the team, behind Ceci at 37% and Nurse at 42%. Desharnais was at 52% with a PDO of 92 (makes sense given how he seemed to be on for virtually every Skinner stinker).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He spent almost the entire year in the AHL, was poor in his regular season NHL games, and then had a few good 3rd pairing games late in the playoffs.

For his career he’s played 81 games at 12 minutes/game with zero offence and lousy metrics. He’s a borderline 6-7 guy at best until he shows something a lot more than he has to this point.
Maybe for him, playing regularly on the Left side with either Faulk/Parayko as his partner will help. Clearly, STL is rolling the dice here and hoping they can get him going at the NHL level. Banking that he's going to be worth a big contract when his OS ends. Faulk and Krug's deals expire in 27, so 3 years from now. They need an infusion of younger Dmen. Not exactly a lot coming through their system over the next 2 seasons.

They drafted 3 Dmen in rounds 1 and 2 in 2024.
Spent 1 of their 3 firsts on a Dman in 2023
At best it will be 2026 before any of these kids arrive at the NHL level.

Have to go back to 2018 for the last 1st or 2nd round Dman they drafted in Perunivich.
Used 3 thirds on Dmen from 2019 to 2024.

Maybe a bit surprised they only went 2 years at such a high cap charge relative to his play. Maybe a 3rd year might have been better for them, on the hopes he hits. At worst, could still buy out that final year at 1/3 so $1.5 mill and eat $750k per year over 2 years in dead cap.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Accounting for kane they still need to be at the cap or under day 1 before they put him on no?

They were pooched before and basically railed now.. they still need to clear

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Accounting for kane they still need to be at the cap or under day 1 before they put him on no?

They were pooched before and basically railed now.. they still need to clear

You actually want to be over the cap as close to his cap hit as possible in order to get the most amount of LTIR space for the season.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The Blues really shit the bed back then and lost FIVE 1st round picks +. (lol, but not really)

That the team was still able to make the playoffs each season is unbelievable, but, then again, this was the pre-cap era and the Blues wildly spent.

Funny that the last Blues OS signed was to Bernier, which was, imo, Larry Pleau being a pissy bitch. We matched Backes' signed OS from Vancouver, but then tried to pry Bernier from you, which Vancouver matched.

Those were some fun years. Two pretty darned good teams back in 93-94. Linden, Bure, Courtnall and Lumme. Hull, Shanahan, Janney and Brown. That's a studly top-3 forwards and top D.

Oh....and f*** Edmonton.

Peace out y'all!!!

Definitely a Wild Wild West back in the day, the Blues already lost 5 1st rounders for Stevens, than do the same thing next year with Shanahan, and than loses...Stevens as compensation lol :laugh:

How the NHL even allowed the Blues to do the second offer sheet I will never know.

Yeah I don't think the Blues even wanted Bernier. They just wanted to get back at Gillis.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The Blues definitely used it as a strategy, especially in the early 90s.

Funny thing with the Petr Nedved offer sheet, it eventually played a big part of the 94 run. The Canucks wanted Brendan Shanahan, but was awarded Craig Janney and a 2nd. Janney refused to report so he was traded back for Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan Lafayette.

I wonder who the Canucks took with that 2nd?

surprisingly, an actual impactful player: dave scatchard

who of course was traded in the package for felix potvin and later blossomed into a pretty good two way center in the early 2000s

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
In the playoffs, he was 34% xG% with a PDO of 110. That xG% is the worst on the team, behind Ceci at 37% and Nurse at 42%. Desharnais was at 52% with a PDO of 92 (makes sense given how he seemed to be on for virtually every Skinner stinker).
well i guess STL has no idea what they are doing then?

I've never been a big fan. He makes bad reads and isn't overly physical for a big guy but you cannot deny he has great tools and his AHL year was a indication he was ready for the next step. He has top4 upside still and this STL are morons for targeting a fringe NHLer is a questionable take...i dont think they just do this for spite and the Blues have had good scouts

He may have had bad numbers but he also got thrust into the Panthers series and Stars for 3 games after others were struggling and he was pretty much playing shut down in place of Ceci with Nurse who was having a really bad playoff. He settled down Nurse more than Ceci and they got the Panthers top6 with Dzone starts all series.

it's incredibly optimistic from STL but i also think it could be really smart and a good move for them especially considering he can play with 2 good puck movers in Parayko and Faulk.

In 2023 Tomas Harley was a fringe NHLer. Big mobile skilled D dont grow on trees

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
well i guess STL has no idea what they are doing then?

I've never been a big fan. He makes bad reads and isn't overly physical for a big guy but you cannot deny he has great tools and his AHL year was a indication he was ready for the next step. He has top4 upside still and this STL are morons for targeting a fringe NHLer is a questionable take...i dont think they just do this for spite and the Blues have had good scouts

He may have had bad numbers but he also got thrust into the Panthers series and Stars for 3 games after others were struggling and he was pretty much playing shut down in place of Ceci with Nurse who was having a really bad playoff. He settled down Nurse more than Ceci and they got the Panthers top6 with Dzone starts all series.

it's incredibly optimistic from STL but i also think it could be really smart and a good move for them especially considering he can play with 2 good puck movers in Parayko and Faulk.

In 2023 Tomas Harley was a fringe NHLer. Big mobile skilled D dont grow on trees
The data show he got caved in those minutes, though. I think it's fair to call him a fringe NHLer at this point. Sure, he has all of the tools to succeed, but so does Podkolzin and I would probably balk if some team had signed him to an offer sheet of 4m+.

The contract ultimately doesn't matter for St. Louis because they're not really going to make noise this season or next, so it's an ok bet with the only downside of paying him too much, which the owner has signed off on already. Broberg isn't really comparable to Harley because Harley smoked his minutes in both the 2023 and 2024 playoffs.

Given that Jim Matheson tweet, it almost feels as if Armstrong did this as a favour for his buddy Ken Holland. I don't think his Oilers exit was exactly amicable.

Reactions: Vector

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
If I am the Oilers I trade Ceci to a team. Obviously, you would have to attach a pick and or prospect.

This is likely their last chance to win it.
I can't imagine the Oilers dumping Ceci given what it cost to move less expensive Cody Glass. Plus who's going to play defense for them?
Even if we assume it’d cost around a 5th to dump Ceci, does Ceci + a 2nd + a 5th net you a better player than Broberg?

Every team knows the Oilers are in tough - no team is going to throw them a life vest. In fact, teams will be looking to throw them an anchor lol.

Every team should be asking for a crazy overpayment from Edmonton to take Ceci

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The data show he got caved in those minutes, though. I think it's fair to call him a fringe NHLer at this point. Sure, he has all of the tools to succeed, but so does Podkolzin and I would probably balk if some team had signed him to an offer sheet of 4m+.

The contract ultimately doesn't matter for St. Louis because they're not really going to make noise this season or next, so it's an ok bet with the only downside of paying him too much, which the owner has signed off on already.

It’s really a small sample size either way. There’s certainly some upside here. Besides what is the real cost? 2nd round pick + money? If Broberg doesn’t work out his buyout is hardly cost prohibitive. I don’t really take issue trading a 2nd for a former high first round pick who still has perceived potential to become a top 4 Dman. Ya that 2nd round pick might turn into a better player but it’s a fair bet.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I guess I'll give out my hot take that I don't think Edmonton is just going to waltz into the President's Trophy and I don't think they should have the best cup odds.

They lost a ton of good defensive players both on forward and defence and replaced them with soft scoring wingers or bums like Josh Brown. Still obviously a threat but that is a very flawed team and I don't understand the narrative that they were some sort of big winner of the offseason.

Last edited:

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
I guess I'll give out my hot take that I don't think Edmonton is just going to waltz into the President's Trophy and I don't think they should have the best cup odds.

They lost a ton of good defensive players both on forward and defence and replaced them with soft scoring wingers or bums like Josh Brown. Still obviously a threat but that is a very flawed team and I don't understand the narrative that they were some sort of big winner of the offseason.
Agreed. Good chance Arvidsson misses at least half the season as well. Would be hilarious if Skinner’s no playoff streak somehow continues.

Reactions: nucks88

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Definitely a Wild Wild West back in the day, the Blues already lost 5 1st rounders for Stevens, than do the same thing next year with Shanahan, and than loses...Stevens as compensation lol :laugh:

How the NHL even allowed the Blues to do the second offer sheet I will never know.

Yeah I don't think the Blues even wanted Bernier. They just wanted to get back at Gillis.
Oh yeah!

The lack of foresight and sense of responsibility was dumbfounding.

Okay peeps. Take care, good luck and f*** Edmonton. Go Nucks!!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
St. Louis is in full rebuild mode. They should have the cap room and as such they can afford this short term deal for Broberg even if it doesn't work out. If it does work out well then they stole a player (If Oilers don't match).

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

agreed. they added some soft skill wingers... but got a lot slower and subtracted on defense. they played with their season on the line from november to the end of june. i think they are a comfortable playoff team, but i don't think they are anywhere near a president's trophy.

more than their day one roster, these offer sheets f*** up their deadline ability to add a gavrikov/provorov/chychrun type defenseman, which was the hail mary for them to fix the d.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
St. Louis is in full rebuild mode. They should have the cap room and as such they can afford this short term deal for Broberg even if it doesn't work out. If it does work out well then they stole a player (If Oilers don't match).
Leddy's deal expires in the same season as Broberg's. And then Faulk/Krug come off the following year.

Main reason is the gap in their D group age. Have Purenuvich and Kessel from the 2018 draft that split time in the A and NHL last season. Then it's a gap to the kids they drafted in rounds 1 and 2 the past 2 drafts. Used a pair of 3rds on Dmen from 2019-2022 drafts. So, they do have a gap in their prospect pool age wise on D.

Plus, we see with Ana and Mon, they are trying to insert half their Dcore with kids right now. Lacombe 2019, Zell 2021, Mint 2022. Mon with Guhle 2020, Harris 2018, Struble 2019, Barron 2020, Hutson 2022, X would have been 2019 draft. Very young group trying to figure it out in the NHL.

Pretty difficult to insert that many kids over a short period of time. Plus they are mostly early 20's.

STL guys are 24, so pretty much physically mature as this should be their playing weight throughout their 20's.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I really love that they lost McLeod who brought a ton of speed, PK ability, and versatility in their lineup, and may lose another speedy forward in Holloway (or be forced to overpay heavily for him). Love that they brought in the plodding Josh Brown.

Jeff Skinner I believe has consistently put up some of the worst defensive metrics amongst all NHL forwards and Arvidsson is not a worldbeater defensively either (although I think he was the better add). Neither of these players will crack their PP1 so it's pretty much going to be pure ES minutes for these two.

Like, we should all be happy with the Oilers moves overall as they lost/may lose lots of pieces that were important parts of their new defensive structure. I would be skeptical of them keeping up their historic PK run too.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The Broberg offer sheet is simultaneously terrible for both St. Louis and Edmonton.

$4.2 million for a fringe NHLer … but a fringe NHLer that Edmonton badly needed on a cheap contract for next year.

That's the beauty of having cap space when you're a middling team. You can make moves like this to hopefully improve and slightly overpay short term, which doesn't really affect you financially. The only way this impacts them is if they end up being pretty good and want to upgrade further. My guess is it doesn't really hurt St. Louis at all in the long run. They can definitely use the services of both players so they're paying a $3 -$4 million dollar premium to add two young blossoming players to the mix.

I'd rather that than the OEL penalty. ;)

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
agreed. they added some soft skill wingers... but got a lot slower and subtracted on defense. they played with their season on the line from november to the end of june. i think they are a comfortable playoff team, but i don't think they are anywhere near a president's trophy.

more than their day one roster, these offer sheets f*** up their deadline ability to add a gavrikov/provorov/chychrun type defenseman, which was the hail mary for them to fix the d.
What really f***ed up their deadline ability was trading their 2025 1st round pick at the draft to make a pick in the first round. Really didn't understand it, but it fit with their weird organizational philosophy of cheap home grown talent... which has really yielded no positive results for their contending ability, given that they had to trade McLeod and are now on the verge of losing two other "cheap" young players due to offer sheets.

Reactions: Vector

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
the only question is if the gamble is worth a 2nd round pick. The Blues clearly looked at Broberg's AHL numbers and thought there was upside to be had in an expanded roll.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
the only question is if the gamble is worth a 2nd round pick. The Blues clearly looked at Broberg's AHL numbers and thought there was upside to be had in an expanded roll.

They also have PP1 opportunity with the belief that Krug will be out the entire season.

Reactions: Wisp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad