Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
When your players get offersheeted in August you only have yourself to blame.

July? Maybe the player is a bit antsy and you get annoyed at it. But by this point in the offseason, both sides are playing hardball so something has to budge. Bowman has a history with being an idiot with his RFA's dating back to Chicago's first cup run & having to overpay Versteeg & everyone because he didn't file on time.

Holloway is probably a match, but his numbers in the NHL aren't that different from Podkolzin at the same age. You'd hope to have that locked up for a cheap bridge contract with potential to outperform, now he has to hit.

Broberg is basically gone, I can't see a world where the Oilers can afford to pay him that much. It's way too high of a risk for a cup contender to pay him like he's gonna hit as a top 4 dman when he hasn't a single season as an every day guy. The Blues can afford it, I guess?

We were incredibly lucky this didn't happen with Petey & Hughes when Benning waited so damn long with our messed up cap situation. You know he wouldn't have been smart enough to trade Loui either and we would've gotten the "we ran out of time" excuse.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
NHL needs to investigate Kane’s surgery delay. He should’ve had his operation back in June already. Thats 2 months of extra LTIR time
They gamed it to be out for the season, and EDM reporters are all but confirming it. Given how EDM's cap situation is shaping up, Kane on LTIR all year certainly seems like the plan.

Holloway is an easy match and I’d take a 2nd for Broberg regardless of his contract. First test for Stan Bowman with the Oilers.
Yeah, Holloway is the auto match here and STL probably assumed Bowman would match anything reasonable. It's just more leverage to poach Broberg.

And especially at that contract, taking the 2nd is the obvious choice.

I think there is some more to Broberg though. He gave them some useful minutes when EDM finally decided to stop doing Nurse-Ceci. Losing Broberg basically means...they're back to that again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They gamed it to be out for the season, and EDM reporters are all but confirming it. Given how EDM's cap situation is shaping up, Kane on LTIR all year certainly seems like the plan.

Yeah, Holloway is the auto match here and STL probably assumed Bowman would match anything reasonable. It's just more leverage to poach Broberg.

And especially at that contract, taking the 2nd is the obvious choice.

I think there is some more to Broberg though. He gave them some useful minutes when EDM finally decided to stop doing Nurse-Ceci. Losing Broberg basically means...they're back to that again.
In STL vs in Edm who are his Partner options? Bouchard, a PMD offensive Dman and Ceci unless Broberg plays his offside. Vs in STL where it's either Faulk or Parayko who are natural RHD so he can remain on his natural side.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I like that the Oilers let Desharnais go and bet on Broberg stepping up... without having him signed. Nice. Lmao.
And especially since they might need to dump Ceci to clear cap. Kane LTIR plus matching Holloway, I’m not sure they even still have enough cap space even with a 21 man roster.

I don’t see anyone else they can clear cap with. It would be pretty unprecedented to trade UFA’s you just signed (Henrique, Skinner, Arvidsson). Maybe they trade Connor Brown but he’s probably their best bottom 6 forward and their best PK guy so I highly doubt they’d want to trade him.

Their defense if Ceci is dumped looks like:
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Brown
Hofenmayer/Gleason

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yep, but they are still inflated based on what the players have shown thus far. Done that way to limit the comp. Makes it hard to accept, but EDM doesn't have the cap room to do it and now they are in a massively bad trade position if their hope is to deal Ceci to free up cap space.

I think it's pretty smart. The compensation isn't prohibitive, and though the contracts are obviously a bit rich, I suspect they only expect to get one of the two players. Basically making the Oilers choose, where it's probably more likely they let Broberg walk. It also handcuffs Edmonton since they can't trade the players for a year if they match.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
And especially since they might need to dump Ceci to clear cap. Kane LTIR plus matching Holloway, I’m not sure they even still have enough cap space even with a 21 man roster.

I don’t see anyone else they can clear cap with. It would be pretty unprecedented to trade UFA’s you just signed (Henrique, Skinner, Arvidsson). Maybe they trade Connor Brown but he’s probably their best bottom 6 forward and their best PK guy so I highly doubt they’d want to trade him.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Brown
Hofenmayer/Gleason
Cup contending D???!!!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Cup contending D???!!!
IMG_6482.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it's pretty smart. The compensation isn't prohibitive, and though the contracts are obviously a bit rich, I suspect they only expect to get one of the two players. Basically making the Oilers choose, where it's probably more likely they let Broberg walk. It also handcuffs Edmonton since they can't trade the players for a year if they match.
Also for Army, EDM isn't in a position to strike back, like STL/VAn with Backes/Bernier. Or Mon/Car with Aho/KK. Edm needs every single dollar with McDrai if they can extend them. Can't be playing revenge games with OS. Plus, he's gone when these 2 guys need a new contract.

Reactions: Bubbles and bh53

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Brown
Hofenmayer/Gleason

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

That's a risky gamble because it basically means they're screwed unless Kane stays on LTIR all season. Which could happen, sure but then they have space come the trade deadline when this may be the last season they can truly go "all in."

It's a damn beautiful offer sheet, and I love Oiler fans thinking they can just punt Ceci out for free to fix it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
some other notable RFA’s still unsigned:

Seider, Raymond, Sillinger, Jarvis, Harley, Perfetti, Beniers, Mercer, Krebs, Kaliyev, Tomasino, Your Mom
Are any of Det, Columbus, Dallas, Win, Sea, NJ, Buf, LA, Nash in that vulnerable a position of an OS? Rfas are always left to the end. From this list I don’t believe any have arbitration rights so their only option is an OS. You only make an Os if you are confident it’s high enough to get tinge other team to walk.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Unlike when Van had Petey/Hughes who signed for a combined $15.2 mill. RFA compensation in 2021 was up $8.22 mill to be just a 1st and 3rd. $8.22 mill to $10.2 mill was 2 first, a second and a third. Over $10.2 mill was 4 firsts. So to get Petey and Quinn, they'd be looking at the 2nd most compensation. Plus, flat cap back then so only weaker clubs had room.

We were incredibly lucky this didn't happen with Petey & Hughes when Benning waited so damn long with our messed up cap situation. You know he wouldn't have been smart enough to trade Loui either and we would've gotten the "we ran out of time" excuse.

Considering that the accepted practice is to only make offer sheets where there's an actual perceived chance of acquiring the player rather than simply jack up the price for the other team, one can say any team is lucky not to be offer-sheeted.

But in the case of Petey and Hughes, the Canucks had about $16M to sign both at the time. Hughes was NOT eligible for an offer sheet. The Canucks also didn't sign Hughes before they signed Petey. So given the compensation that StreetHawk listed, anything $10.2M and under is an easy match. The Canucks would have matched and could turn around and sign Hughes to a 1-2 year deal with the remainder. Of course any team could come in and "screw" the Canucks by offering Petey $10.2M on a 4 year term but they still won't get Petey. There's also the fact that a team with $10.2M+ in cap space + the draft picks required is very likely not contending for a while so the first round picks are expected to be high and Petey might not be interested in playing for.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad