Around the League Thread | Ixnay on Zerplanyay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
easy match for holloway, although they probably move him at the deadline given he's low key screwing the team

broberg gotta go at that price, but it's incredibly funny that he's the player oilers media has been gushing about all offseason as the future ekholm replacement/current nurse babysitter and now they have to ditch him for a 2nd

lmao so much for the stan bowman obc sway

Reactions: bh53 and God

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Stan Bowman is a piece of shit and other GMs are showing what they think of him.
Armstrong is on his way out of the gm role. Have a succession plan to turn over the role to Steen so he’s going for it. Have the max he could to keep the compensation to a 2nd and 3rd.

Edm can only blame themselves for being that close to the cap with rfas where the comp would not be a first rounder if they got OS.

And they haven’t even been able to come to terms on an extension with Leon yet either. These are their only first rounders left between Bouchard to now. Puju, Yamamoto, were the 2 prior and it’s Broberg, Holloway, Xavier B, Schaefer, and the kid they just traded up back into round 1 for.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
NHL needs to investigate Kane’s surgery delay. He should’ve had his operation back in June already. Thats 2 months of extra LTIR time

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Smart from the Blues, Oilers will essentially have no ability to retaliate until they're out of their contention window. Both GMs are probably long gone by then.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NHL needs to investigate Kane’s surgery delay. He should’ve had his operation back in June already. Thats 2 months of extra LTIR time
Doubt much comes of anything. You can always try to rehab and "hope" but that rarely works out for someone who is Kane's age at 33. Maybe if you are 23, your chances of rehabbing are increased, but at 33.... But, guess you can always argue that.

Did EDM really lowball these 2 guys to have their agents go shopping for an OS? If EDM was offering Broberg like $3 mill or something and Holloway likely under $2 mill, I can get why. Neither has arbitration rights, so OS was their only other avenue. Maybe EDM overplayed their hand in that regard, but with their cap situation and the compensation that they could get, put themselves in a tough spot. When Petey and Quinn were up, at least any OS would be in the $8's thus at least the second max compensation thus in the flat cap era, only the weaker teams could OS but risk high compensation of 1st rounders.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the offer sheets are funny but those are both awful for st louis. they better hope edmonton match

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
the offer sheets are funny but those are both awful for st louis. they better hope edmonton match

Offer sheets pretty much have to be inflated value to reduce the chance of matching.

IMO - the Oilers match on Holloway. But I could see them letting Broberg go.

I echo the sentiment that I’m always surprised we don’t see more of this.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also, the Matthews captaincy news is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Not saying it’s the wrong move to have their franchise player wear the C - it’s not - but it doesn’t change anything about that core and its issues.

Until Matthews finds a way to translate his regular season scoring prowess into playoff scoring prowess, that team isn’t going on any deep runs. IMO.

Reactions: andora

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Offer sheets pretty much have to be inflated value to reduce the chance of matching.

IMO - the Oilers match on Holloway. But I could see them letting Broberg go.

I echo the sentiment that I’m always surprised we don’t see more of this.
circumstances need to be right. Edm is tight to the cap and the compensation due to obtain these players is a 2nd and 3rd rounder. And team offering isn't expected to be a bottom 5 team next season, even if the comp is a 1st. Plus in this case, also GM Armstrong is stepping down within 2 years to hand over to steen.

Unlike when Van had Petey/Hughes who signed for a combined $15.2 mill. RFA compensation in 2021 was up $8.22 mill to be just a 1st and 3rd. $8.22 mill to $10.2 mill was 2 first, a second and a third. Over $10.2 mill was 4 firsts. So to get Petey and Quinn, they'd be looking at the 2nd most compensation. Plus, flat cap back then so only weaker clubs had room.

Reactions: TruGr1t

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Two hilarious things at play:

1) Edmonton needed Broberg to play NHL minutes for them at ~1.5MM or so *REALLY BADLY*
2) Even if this works, STL ends up having to pay Broberg 4.5MM x 2 years plus a 4.5MM QO for year 3.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy in Stan Bowman or a nicer team. They are now 7.25MM over the cap if they keep both players.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Haha! f*** the Oilers!!!

giphy-4036116766.gif

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
chuckle

this may well be a shot at bowman. it also maybe says something that holloway signed this. broberg i can understand better after the ride he has had and there is a real chance he moves, but holloway would know he is very likely to be matched so he's helping another team steal his team mate.

1) Edmonton needed Broberg to play NHL minutes for them at ~1.5MM or so *REALLY BADLY*
2) Even if this works, STL ends up having to pay Broberg 4.5MM x 2 years plus a 4.5MM QO for year 3.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy in Stan Bowman or a nicer team. They are now 7.25MM over the cap if they keep both players.
if kane goes on ltir (all season or until another injury happens) they can keep one of them. not sure how they keep both without dumping someone.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If Broberg isn't good in these 2 years, Blues would walk away from his OS at age 25. Spot opened up on D for them with Krug's injury. If he's not worth it, it cost them a 2nd rounder.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If Broberg isn't good in these 2 years, Blues would walk away from his OS at age 25. Spot opened up on D for them with Krug's injury. If he's not worth it, it cost them a 2nd rounder.

I get the strategy, it makes total sense at face value, I just don't see the target as being needle-moving enough to attempt this double offer sheet to try and get them.

___

Also, a quick reminder that EDM fans were voraciously defending offer sheets back in 2007 when they acquired Dustin Penner.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I get the strategy, it makes total sense at face value, I just don't see the target as being needle-moving enough to attempt this double offer sheet to try and get them.

___

Also, a quick reminder that EDM fans were voraciously defending offer sheets back in 2007 when they acquired Dustin Penner.

It's cost-related. Apparently, if the contracts were worth $1 more, the compensation would have gone up to the next level.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's cost-related. Apparently, if the contracts were worth $1 more, the compensation would have gone up to the next level.
Yep, but they are still inflated based on what the players have shown thus far. Done that way to limit the comp. Makes it hard to accept, but EDM doesn't have the cap room to do it and now they are in a massively bad trade position if their hope is to deal Ceci to free up cap space.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Yep, but they are still inflated based on what the players have shown thus far. Done that way to limit the comp. Makes it hard to accept, but EDM doesn't have the cap room to do it and now they are in a massively bad trade position if their hope is to deal Ceci to free up cap space.

Holloway is a good player and St. Louis has room for Broberg too. It's a short 2 year deal so doesn't carry much risk at all as they can afford it. Worst case is he doesn't perform and St. Louis is still good and that blocks them from further improving. Good risk though imo ... 23 year old, 6'4, 212 lb. defender on the verge of a breakout.

They currently have Perunovich, and good ole Suter on LD so they could definitely use Broberg in that mix. He also had his impressive playoff performance mostly on the right side. Perfect for the Blues. A pretty decent D when added to Leddy, Parayko, Faulk, and Kessel.

I like it from the blues stand point. All their moves point towards getting back to the playoffs and these players would help better than the 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Reactions: bh53 and andora
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad