Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | We Are All Kevin Bieksa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Again...I have no issues with OEL. There were sizeable red flags that could be seen from the Southern Hemisphere. We knew the salary, term and condition he was and he was never going to live up to that contract.

f*** the idiot who brought him here.
Yes, there's no way the Panthers would have OEL as part of their six with the salary the Canucks were paying him. He makes sense now at the $ figure he's earning from Florida.

The effect of a player making massive bank while being at best a net neutral player shouldn't be discounted.

Benning forked the Canucks with that trade in every conceivable orifice.

Yippee

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Yes, there's no way the Panthers would have OEL as part of their six with the salary the Canucks were paying him. He makes sense now at the $ figure he's earning from Florida.

The effect of a player making massive bank while being at best a net neutral player shouldn't be discounted.

Benning forked the Canucks with that trade in every conceivable orifice.

Yippee

image.jpeg.695d7f35a69e3d10eb18fed203b1d261.jpeg

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That’s definitely an interesting take.

He’s playing 3rd pairing on a great roster. There’s something to be said for a player’s mentality as well when he knows he just has to provide $2M of value instead of $7M of value to his team. Not to mention how fans/media view him as well.

The Canucks also aren’t signing a lot of the UFA’s they did last summer with his cap hit on the books.

To me it seems like a win-win for both Canucks management and OEL.
I would agree with you if we looked like a legit cup contender with the ufas signed.

fergo

Ludicrous speed! Go!
Dec 19, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
The 2011 team didn't run out of gas, they got injured. The two biggest things was Manny going down after the TDL (forcing Kes and Hank to be overplayed in the post season) and Hammer deciding to hip check who was it, Lucic, in game 2.
Pretty sure it was a moose. I mean, it was a hernia he suffered from doing that hip check, wasn't it? Yeah, I'm going to go with a moose. Or a moose-sized person.

Well, here's Seravelli, ladies and gentlemen.

Can't get the link to work. Will post when I get home...

EDIT: Got it working now.

Frank Seravelli is no Bob McKenzie...or his brother Doug, for that matter.
mckenziebros.jpg

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Bourque draws in. I would run with 3 lines:

Robertson - Hintz - W Johnston
Benn - Stankoven - Bourque
Marchment - Seguin - Duchene

Barely play this line:
Dadonov - Steel - Pavelski

DeBoer sucks so much that I see him getting it all wrong leading to a 7-1 Oilers win.

Reactions: mathonwy

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Pretty sure it was a moose. I mean, it was a hernia he suffered from doing that hip check, wasn't it. Yeah, I'm going to go with a moose. Or a moose-sized person.

Frank Seravelli is no Bob McKenzie...or his brother Doug, for that matter.
View attachment 878823

Seravelli makes Steve Simmons look like a f***ing genius in comparison.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I would agree with you if we looked like a legit cup contender with the ufas signed.
I think this core getting 2 rounds of playoff experience + management getting to evaluate players in 13 playoffs games was important. Also winning the division was important for getting Petey to sign long term.

There’s tons of value in having a season like this compared to missing the playoffs or getting run over in R1 after squeaking in.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to feel good about OEL having a chance at a Cup....he's earned it, playing for lackluster teams in Arizona for years, with unstable ownership and mostly terrible teams. And he carried the extra burden of being team captain for a lot of those years.

As others have observed, he's playing the exact role he should be playing in Florida--a veteran third pairing guy, who can also give them some PP minutes. And he's being paid accordingly.

It's not his fault that Benning mortgaged the farm to bring him to Vancouver, when clearly his physical skills had diminished. That salary and the assets he flushed away will haunt the Canucks franchise for years.

But OEL always stuck me as a solid citizen and a 'team guy' first. He's paid for this opportunity in blood, sweat and tears.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
You have to feel good about OEL having a chance at a Cup....he's earned it, playing for lackluster teams in Arizona for years, with unstable ownership and mostly terrible teams. And he carried the extra burden of being team captain for a lot of those years.

As others have observed, he's playing the exact role he should be playing in Florida--a veteran third pairing guy, who can also give them some PP minutes. And he's being paid accordingly.

It's not his fault that Benning mortgaged the farm to bring him to Vancouver, when clearly his physical skills had diminished. That salary and the assets he flushed away will haunt the Canucks franchise for years.

But OEL always stuck me as a solid citizen and a 'team guy' first. He's paid for this opportunity in blood, sweat and tears.
No you don’t

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Most of the players that came during the Benning era came with intentions of doing a good job.

Myers came looking to be himself... and not a Tanev replacement.

Surprise!!

NoGood I'm not so sure.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's not much doubt in my mind that after a decent first season in Vancouver, OEL was dealing with some sort of lingering injury issue in his second season.

I find it kind of depressing, that people would intimate that he came to Vancouver with not much intention of giving it his best shot. My impression of him, was that's just not the way he's wired.

He gave the Canucks what he had to give at that point in his career. If posters want to 'pile on', they should reserve their wrath for Benning. He should never have been allowed to make that trade with Arizona in the first place.

So also blame the owner. He signed off on it, and then canned Benning just a year later.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
owners in Buffalo and Van have no one to blame but themselves when looking at the Florida roster going to their second straight cup finals.
Reinhart, Montour can add to the list of ROR, Eichel to win a cup leaving Buffalo.
FA can look at Tkachuk whom JB passed up drafting, Forsling for trading away and not claiming back on waivers, OEL who was assessed to play a much higher role that he has in Fla with a contract to match.
Could shave saved some face by firing JB after the disaster of 20-21 season. But ran him back another season, basically killing the next 2 seasons. Had JR and PA arrived in 2021 they replace Green with Tocchet and move things along quicker by getting out of the dead cap of $12 mill they had on the books.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
owners in Buffalo and Van have no one to blame but themselves when looking at the Florida roster going to their second straight cup finals.
Reinhart, Montour can add to the list of ROR, Eichel to win a cup leaving Buffalo.
FA can look at Tkachuk whom JB passed up drafting, Forsling for trading away and not claiming back on waivers, OEL who was assessed to play a much higher role that he has in Fla with a contract to match.
Could shave saved some face by firing JB after the disaster of 20-21 season. But ran him back another season, basically killing the next 2 seasons. Had JR and PA arrived in 2021 they replace Green with Tocchet and move things along quicker by getting out of the dead cap of $12 mill they had on the books.

Blueberry boy said he was livid with the OJ drarft.

LIVID, I tells ye!
:nod:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Dallas has prior playoff experience but feels like they’re just not there yet and this experience will be huge for them. They had key pieces like Johnston, Harley, Stankoven take huge steps this year that are only going to benefit from playoff runs like this.

Scary team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Even if we'd made it to the SCF, I don't think we'd have beaten the Panthers. This was not yet our year.
I don’t think anyone is beating them. They look like the hungriest team. Canucks couldn’t even beat the Oilers and I doubt they beat the Stars either. They didn’t stand a chance against that Florida team.

Not worth losing sleep over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad