Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | We Are All Kevin Bieksa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
The Canucks showed they had a little of what the Panthers have, but there's a ways to go

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Congrats to Kevin Bieksa for winning a Canadian Screen Award as the best sports analyst for 2024, for his work on HNIC. His analyses are now 'must watch TV' during hockey season.

Looking back, what a group of 'leaders' and outstanding contributors to the sport were featured on those 2010-12 Canuck teams. The likes of Bieksa, the Sedins, Luongo, Burrows, Kesler and Schneider, among others.

Way may never see the likes of them in Vancouver again.....what a crying shame they never had a Cup to show for those years.

<cough>Manny<cough>

Reactions: vanuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
IMG_1079.jpeg

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Even now the battle of Alberta is strong. Lol Calgary got fleeced on couple trades sending Tkachuk montour and Bennett just to help stop the oil. 🤭

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

potatowejj

Oct 22, 2019
Demko has injuries every season. It's on coaches and management to have some ways to outscore a very predictable, and likely, problem.

Canucks were more 'lucky' that Silovs was pretty good, more so than 'unlucky' that Demko was injured again.
Ehhh, most teams in the league would be in trouble, "prepared" or not, without their number one/star goaltender. That includes teams like Florida (Bobrovsky being out for them would be a massive blow) and previously Tampa with Vasilevskiy. It's not a scapegoat to say the Canucks really drew a bad card with Demko's injury in R1.

Reactions: Zanon and racerjoe

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Lots of chatter on Twitter about the salary cap and the unfair advantage teams with no state income tax potentially have.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Lots of chatter on Twitter about the salary cap and the unfair advantage teams with no state income tax potentially have.

I mean, can you blame them when Florida teams have gone to the finals 5 years in a row out East?

Its been a problem for a long time, but it's just never been super apparent because the states with no income tax were not particularly well run before. Anyone think Forsling takes that contract in another state?

Doubt anything will change, but it's absolutely an advantage when it comes to total compensation each team can offer. Its not much different (from a player perspective) than being in an area that'll give you more access to sponsorship opportunities (this matters less in the NHL than say, the NBA or NFL, because the NHL is dogwater at marketing its product).

It's just part of life at this point. Being in NY, I know so many executives who move to Florida two years before they IPO for similar, tax related reasons.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Meh, the tax thing always seemed overblown.

Players just don't like crappy cities/weather/media pressure.

This is the bigger thing, I think. There’s a reason your traditional desirable markets (like NYR, Boston, Chicago) and places with beautiful weather (Arizona, Florida, Tampa, etc) have always been appealing to players.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Well, here's Seravelli, ladies and gentlemen.

Can't get the link to work. Will post when I get home...

EDIT: Got it working now.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I mean, can you blame them when Florida teams have gone to the finals 5 years in a row out East?

Its been a problem for a long time, but it's just never been super apparent because the states with no income tax were not particularly well run before. Anyone think Forsling takes that contract in another state?

Doubt anything will change, but it's absolutely an advantage when it comes to total compensation each team can offer. Its not much different (from a player perspective) than being in an area that'll give you more access to sponsorship opportunities (this matters less in the NHL than say, the NBA or NFL, because the NHL is dogwater at marketing its product).

It's just part of life at this point. Being in NY, I know so many executives who move to Florida two years before they IPO for similar, tax related reasons.
When you break down these Florida teams, while they have made some judicious trades and attracted some UFA's because of their favorable personal tax structures--the reality is, it's the guys they drafted that are still driving the team bus.

Guys like Barkov, Stamkos, Hedman and Ekblad are still key players. And a lot of other guys arrived via the trade route, rather than free agency. Calgary in particular have been like a farm team for the Panthers.

So I think in the end it's just shrewd management rather than any built in tax advantages that have spelled success for these teams in the State of Florida.

Reactions: quat and Szechwan

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Nah it's bullshit imo. Most US states have top bracket income taxes in the 3-5% range which means a marginal advantage at dollars figures at best, and California teams have all been powerhouses at some point in the cap era. You just have an alignment of well-managed US South teams right now that are peaking at roughly the same time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Having caught most of the action in that Panthers-Rangers series, I'd have to say that was the most lopsided six game series in recent memory. Most of the series was played in the Rangers end, and without an all-world performance from Shesterkin, this might have been a four-game sweep.

Seems to me that the Rangers have bigger question marks heading into this off-season, than just about any other top team in the East. The Rangers are a 'finesse team'. They try and skate around you and dangle with the puck to create openings. But they simply couldn't get to the net and were consistently eliminated along the wall.

The Panthers, on the other hand, are more of a meat and potatoes team, that just skates right through out. Physically, this series was no contest. It's not surprising that guys like Zibanejad, Panarin, Chytil, Fox, and Roslovic were almost invisible in this series. Winning one-on-one puck battles isn't their forte.

In fact when you break down these two teams, it makes you realize that the Canucks have all the elements. They have two near 100-point centres, and a 91 point d-man. Last year they had Vezina quality goaltending; and improving special teams.

They're not as far away as some might think.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Looks like finals will be Panthers and Oilers.

And yeah, Seravelli is a sack of shit devoid of any spine or human decency.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even now the battle of Alberta is strong. Lol Calgary got fleeced on couple trades sending Tkachuk montour and Bennett just to help stop the oil. 🤭
And they almost pulled it off again by sending the Canucks Lindholm and Zadorov before the deadline. If you can't beat 'em on the ice or in the alley, you can beat them from the GM's booth!

• Haha
Reactions: rea

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Having caught most of the action in that Panthers-Rangers series, I'd have to say that was the most lopsided six game series in recent memory. Most of the series was played in the Rangers end, and without an all-world performance from Shesterkin, this might have been a four-game sweep.

Seems to me that the Rangers have bigger question marks heading into this off-season, than just about any other top team in the East. The Rangers are a 'finesse team'. They try and skate around you and dangle with the puck to create openings. But they simply couldn't get to the net and were consistently eliminated along the wall.

The Panthers, on the other hand, are more of a meat and potatoes team, that just skates right through out. Physically, this series was no contest. It's not surprising that guys like Zibanejad, Panarin, Chytil, Fox, and Roslovic were almost invisible in this series. Winning one-on-one puck battles isn't their forte.

In fact when you break down these two teams, it makes you realize that the Canucks have all the elements. They have two near 100-point centres, and a 91 point d-man. Last year they had Vezina quality goaltending; and improving special teams.

They're not as far away as some might think.
I don't know if I'd come to the same conclusion, outside of Miller, or forwards are more similar to NY than FLA imo

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Well, here's Seravelli, ladies and gentlemen.

Can't get the link to work. Will post when I get home...

EDIT: Got it working now.

LMAO I'm not watching this schlubby motherf***er claim to be some blue collar hero for 20+ minutes. f*** off.

So I did listen to this earlier this morning and it's as bad as you can expect. I didn't find anything worth sharing and figure the best course of action is to ignore him unless there's something he's reporting that is relevant.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So I did listen to this earlier this morning and it's as bad as you can expect. I didn't find anything worth sharing and figure the best course of action is to ignore him unless there's something he's reporting that is relevant.

Nobody's doubting that he felt some knee pain...

THE CANCUKS FELT HE WAS THE 15th OR 17th MOST INJURED PLAYER ON THEIR ROSTER.

They told you that?

THAT'S WHAT I BELIEVE

f*** off, you weirdo - As if the Canucks are specifically ranking the f***ing 17th most injured player on their roster. Go eat trash out of an Arby's dumpster you shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad