Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | We Are All Kevin Bieksa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Also we kind of gave all we could given our roster and injury situation, seems like Dallas had a lot more left in the tank but a lot of guys didn't press it when they should have...

just22

Aug 2, 2009
well gotta give it to edmonton, they played well against dallas and shut it down defensively when they needed to

but florida is a completely different beast

Reactions: HockeyWooot and DS7

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Dallas is an overrated, disappointment of a team. What a shitty outcome. Whole series was underwhelming. Canucks gave the Coilers the most trouble.

Let's see if Perry breaks his Stanley cup finals losing streak.

Get it done Florida.

Reactions: bbud

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Florida would've f***ed us up just like they are going to do the oilers

I think there's a lot of hopeful thinking going on. This Oilers team is similar to those 2016 and 2017 Penguins teams that won a cup. If McDrai play up to their capacity then they could very well win this thing on their own.

Just like if Demko had delivered Tim Thomas-like goaltending. Of course this is assuming Boeser and Pettersson injuries wouldn't have happened either.

Joe Rogan

Jun 21, 2019
If Tocchet even vaguely understood the concept of load management, Cole isn't a complete disgrace in the 2nd round and Demko is a healthy starter throughout the playoffs. What a massive wasted opportunity

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I rather see Oilers win, just so that they can give two flaming middle fingers to Gary Buttman and the league's nepotism.

What? The Oilers were given multiple 1st round picks and are steeped in nepotism. Always have been.

My favourite thing is going to be who whines more about the refs and comes up with fun conspiracies. Campbell vs McDavid!

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't even mind the Oilers making the finals, because everyone knew eventually that core was going to figure out how to win.

It's that my team allowed this timeline to happen. I don't know if they beat Dallas, but they absolutely crumpled at the worst possible time.

Reactions: TruKnyte

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Think Dallas will take a step back next year before getting back to contention level afterwards. This year they had the perfect mix of veterans and young guys outperforming their deals, but I think their vets fall off (or guys retire/leave) moreso than their youth continues to grow. They gave a good effort tonight, but after laying 2 absolute eggs in a row this result was deserved.

How the Stars made Skinner go from Dan Cloutier last series against us to an absolute beast is beyond me though. Clearly didn't watch enough Canucks tape to see how to get in his head/get the right kind of traffic to the front.

Full props to the Oilers, were the underdog this series and found a way to get it done. Florida is an entirely different beast though, they've looked like a powerhouse every night these playoffs, whereas Edmonton has been much more on/off.

Hoping for a long, physical series (with an Edmonton loss) so these guys have a short summer & finals hangover next year.

Reactions: Tact and Vector

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I think there's a lot of hopeful thinking going on. This Oilers team is similar to those 2016 and 2017 Penguins teams that won a cup. If McDrai play up to their capacity then they could very well win this thing on their own.

Just like if Demko had delivered Tim Thomas-like goaltending. Of course this is assuming Boeser and Pettersson injuries wouldn't have happened either.

Yea I wouldn't count the Oilers out. I thought Dallas would be a tougher test and they got through them pretty easily.

Reactions: Ozone

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
well gotta give it to edmonton, they played well against dallas and shut it down defensively when they needed to

but florida is a completely different beast
They are a beast coilers are gonna hurt losing this series

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Dallas is an overrated, disappointment of a team. What a shitty outcome. Whole series was underwhelming. Canucks gave the Coilers the most trouble.

Let's see if Perry breaks his Stanley cup finals losing streak.

Get it done Florida.
100% not overrated. They are going to be one of the teams to run the west for many years.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Honestly this has a lot of parallels to how we played in the bubble. We were not actually a good defensive team as we saw in the regular season before and after, but you can turtle and win games if the other team plays into it. We also had Demko.

Florida should on paper destroy Edmonton but when they make mistakes they are HUGE mistakes. So with McDrai Edmonton is a bad matchup from that perspective because they can score on counters. Also Edmonton has a great PP so if Florida is actually penalized for shenanigans after the whistle that's another advantage for Edmonton.

Dallas basically shit the bed, Skinner is still above average at best. Bob is a much much better goalie. But if Florida just keeps shooting into the collapsing defence without angle changes, they will fall into the same trap.

There are no primarily defensive teams left in the final, I predict it's going to be pretty fun hockey. Florida is not particularly structured, but they apply so much constant pressure that it makes them seem a lot more structured. Their chaos puts teams off their game. Oilers turtled since Game 6 versus us and forechecked hard. They also dominated puck battles in their own zone. So it's going to be interesting.

Hated Florida last year but I don't think they've been as cheap and annoying this post season. They also have the better goalie so I'm definitely cheering for them to beat the Oilers.

100% not overrated. They are going to be one of the teams to run the west for many years.
I think they are overrated with all these old guys. Suter needs to be moved if they're going to go anywhere at the bare minimum.

Their core is good, they just need to cut the dead weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad