Around the League Thread | Conference Final Edition | Go Tanev and Bobby Lu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
There's stealing a game, then there's what Igor just did. Wow.

Also Forsling was easily the Panthers best d that game. Dude is just incredible, no clue how the Panthers got him to sign for under 6 million long term. Reminds me of Dan Hamhuis out there, just incredibly solid defensively, great at transitioning the puck up ice, and has some underrated offensive chops.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No clue what Rodrigues was doing after the faceoff. He left Wennberg all alone in front of the net. Lost the draw, but it's then on the wingers to cover the points. His job as the C to take a forward.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Have to also ask will they ever hit that new level with your organization? I mean, I didn't think Leclair would be what he became in Philly in Montreal for example.

Would Reinhart have as well in Buffalo?

Sometimes a change is something that benefits a player.
If you move on from talent like that it better be a good deal. Jimbo threw away Forsling for someone who was already tracking to be a career AHLer in a desperate attempt to get a youngish player who could be a roster player immediately. So he never really had a chance to grow in the org.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
My point was more if you have a guy like a Bennett and he seems to have maxed out on your team, then he probably isn't going to be able to hit that next level with you. If you tried a couple of HC and still not working out the way you want, most teams are going to move on. You get what you end up getting in the deal.
Prospects, can go either way.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Half of that Panthers team is example why you don't get rid of players that are showing talent but just haven't hit that next level yet.

I'd say it's more an example of talented players needing to get out of dog shit organizations to find the next level and how important having a well run organization fro top to bottom is. I'm just happy we're the 2020s Panthers as an organization now and not the 2010s Panthers

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Seriously, what happened there

Definitely no expert on this subject, but I think it was a combination of...
- Overvalued prospect, I never understand why he was so high up in rankings, as he was a very 1D player with negative defensive awareness.
- Bad attitude, as per Burke, kid acted like he was insulted when TOR with 5th overall was interviewing him, and almost got into a fist fight with one of the TOR staff. Burke put him on the no draft list, that was just...awful.
- Thrown into a team with a loser vibe. At the time the entire Oilers team just oozed pathetic from top to bottom. Very likely he was affected.
- Dallas Eakins, horrible coach for young players, which is worsened by how lacking the Oilers' developing system was at the time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd say it's more an example of talented players needing to get out of dog shit organizations to find the next level and how important having a well run organization fro top to bottom is. I'm just happy we're the 2020s Panthers as an organization now and not the 2010s Panthers
I would concur. Not everyone, even us regular people in our jobs are going to perform the same at each one. Environment, culture, other people, etc. all factor in.

At some point, with UFA pending plus contracts, teams have to make a decision to keep or move on. Reinhart, a year out of UFA and Buffalo opted to trade him as an example.

At some point, teams need to turn it around and not "Tank" that long. Once the top prospects begin joining the roster, you want to create a better environment for them to grow and develop. I think Ana this off-season needs to make some good additions to develop Carlson, Gauthier, Minyukov, Zell, LaComble, MacTavish and even Zegras' game as well.

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
If any Canuck did what Trouba did, they’d have had the book thrown at them. Followed by the library, brick by brick.

I don’t really have anything against Trouba, but the stuff he gets allowed to get away with absolutely blows my mind sometimes.
Absolutely insane to me that you can throw so many blatant elbows with intent to injure that the talking heads start going on about "its how he hits"

Backwater bullshit league

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Absolutely insane to me that you can throw so many blatant elbows with intent to injure that the talking heads start going on about "its how he hits"

Backwater bullshit league

In Trouba’s defense, he didn’t hit one of the league’s prized assets. It was only Evan Rodrigues’ head.

(Yes, this league is backwater bullshit)

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It’s so hilariously horseshit that Soucy got suspended for a game for accidentally crosschecking McDavid meanwhile Trouba has thrown like 5 intentional elbows recently and barely gets a minor

Cause no one in the hockey media won't blink an eye on Trouba, he hurts scrubs not golden boys. f*** those bitches on Sportsnet and TSN, absolute ************

Reactions: HockeyWooot

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
gustav forsling is really really good. transitioning the puck and very quiet offensive game added to him. what if benning didnt trade him. the left side of vancouver would be hughes forsling for the next decade

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
gustav forsling is really really good. transitioning the puck and very quiet offensive game added to him. what if benning didnt trade him. the left side of vancouver would be hughes forsling for the next decade
No the what if is what would have happened if he didn't sign long term and the Canucks had a shot at him in free agency.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
No the what if is what would have happened if he didn't sign long term and the Canucks had a shot at him in free agency.
In a world that the Canucks organization didn't develop guys from the A up to the NHL, not sure I'd bet on Forsling making through the Canucks development system at the time.

He signed. Like most players would if given the contract and a chance to secure their financial future. He's now 28 in 2024. Max term got him to 36. No need to take a chance. Showed some loyalty to the franchise that gave him a shot back in the NHL when he went unclaimed the prior year.

Give Zito and that organization credit for what they've been able to do with the more established guys like Reinhart, Bennett, Montour in getting them to another level.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
In a world that the Canucks organization didn't develop guys from the A up to the NHL, not sure I'd bet on Forsling making through the Canucks development system at the time.

He signed. Like most players would if given the contract and a chance to secure their financial future. He's now 28 in 2024. Max term got him to 36. No need to take a chance. Showed some loyalty to the franchise that gave him a shot back in the NHL when he went unclaimed the prior year.

Give Zito and that organization credit for what they've been able to do with the more established guys like Reinhart, Bennett, Montour in getting them to another level.
Only if they had hired Quenneville has head coach. LOL, who are we kidding. Jethro Bodine would've still hired Willie "Ned Flanders" Desjardins & Travis Green.:laugh:

Quenneville clearly saw something in Forsling. Gave him a good chunk of NHL games early, early his career. Quenneville got fired & Forsling was dealt later that season to the Canes. Canes had a deep enough blueline, Forsling couldn't work his way in a permanent spot so he eventually just placed on waivers. I doubt it was a coincidence that the Panthers claimed him off of waivers (with Quenneville as their head coach).

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Only if they had hired Quenneville has head coach. LOL, who are we kidding. Jethro Bodine would've still hired Willie "Ned Flanders" Desjardins & Travis Green.:laugh:

Quenneville clearly saw something in Forsling. Gave him a good chunk of NHL games early, early his career. Quenneville got fired & Forsling was dealt later that season to the Canes. Canes had a deep enough blueline, Forsling work his way in a permanent spot so he eventually just placed on waivers. I doubt it was a coincidence that the Panthers claimed him off of waivers (with Quenneville as their head coach).
He was waiver eligible once he was dealt to Carolina. Fla passed on him the prior year, but when they had Q, pretty sure he recommended to Zito to pick him up.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If any Canuck did what Trouba did, they’d have had the book thrown at them. Followed by the library, brick by brick.

I don’t really have anything against Trouba, but the stuff he gets allowed to get away with absolutely blows my mind sometimes.
Yep. Trouba at his antics again.

If that's Caron Soucy it's a 3 game suspension though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep. Trouba at his antics again.

If that's Caron Soucy it's a 3 game suspension though.
Trouba is a NYR, and that's who the NHL wants in the Finals. Van, not so much....
FLA in the finals last year and the ratings were not great.

Not surprised they would go easier on Trouba than Soucy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad