Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As far and NFL football goes Monday Night is generally a big viewing night on the schedule were they put key teams in prime time.

Wonder if that is part of the process or is it simply an extra days rest between big travel days Edmonton to Florida following the same game 5 and 6 process.

Monday night football is certainly an NFL institution, but the NHL has historically treated the weekend as the place for it's more prestigious events.

This final has already taken 2+ weeks and it's still not over. I get there's likely a logic to the madness from a logistics pov but casual sports fans don't really care about winter sports as July quickly approaches.

If they had a schedule that wrapped up the regular season or playoffs a month or two earlier I suspect there would be more public interest

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
not august first LOL but like get pre-season done the first two weeeks of august, Season starts in September. this way you're already 2 months in by the time basketball starts and then just... adjust. like the cup should be lifted no later than May 31st.

it's just annoying. I don't give a fig newton about Dubas or his feelings. but again. everyone who is praising Hyman to kingdom come now. were the same people who were saying it made sense NOT to sign him for that much. (and if we traded him and "got something") unless that something was the second coming of.. well mcDavid people would still say "Look we ONLY got this for that person).

it's the same crap every time. for the most part everyone hated Bozak here in the media - he goes wins a cup. (great for him) and all of a sudden. "how dare the Leafs not resign Bozak look at what he did for St Louis." (i will admit, that one hurt because he waited for a LONG time to try to get a deal done with us and he's admitted how much he loves it here Dubas just noped that one - i don't remember who he went with instead). no one ever mentions the countless people who bounce around doing nothing. they just focus on the people we had and let go and then are great else where (OR better - they pick the guy who bounced around from like COUNTLESS teams was here for like 2 seconds, THEN triggers god mode, and it was just the Leafs [and not the 5 other teams who also had this player] who effed up].

i'll own my card here. I think it was a good idea to sign Tavares, i think it symbolized something really good for our team. and I'd most likely do it again if i could rewind time. I don't think like a lot of people here HE is the problem or even a massive part of it
well at least you're consistent. I hated it from day 1, and still do. But I also hated the Marleau acquisition, the Boyle acquisition, and the refusal to flip pending UFAs like Bozie and JVR at the deadline

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I have no doubt the NHL head office cringed when Florida beat the Rangers. The ratings difference between Florida/Edmonton and NYR/Edmonton would probably mean hundreds of millions of dollars to the NHL.
NY DET CHI BOS and even Philly make a huge difference.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Hyman was improving every year, and was on a tremendous development curve.

He was well on his way to becoming a great player in Toronto.
Yes he was, but he would not have been where he is now if he was still playing with Matthews. McDavid has always been on a whole other level.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
NY DET CHI BOS and even Philly make a huge difference.
All of those markets are better than Florida (or Tampa) when it comes to national ratings.

Monday night football is certainly an NFL institution, but the NHL has historically treated the weekend as the place for it's more prestigious events.

This final has already taken 2+ weeks and it's still not over. I get there's likely a logic to the madness from a logistics pov but casual sports fans don't really care about winter sports as July quickly approaches.

If they had a schedule that wrapped up the regular season or playoffs a month or two earlier I suspect there would be more public interest
It's absurd that the last 4 games of the Cup final will have taken 10 days to play.

Reactions: Jmo89 and ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yes he was, but he would not have been where he is now if he was still playing with Matthews. McDavid has always been on a whole other level.
Difference is that, McD tends to want to get his linemates involve, while AM wanted Hyman or any 3rd wheel to hunt and dig the pucks to MM in order for AM to set up in his office and score.

As painful as it's been, it will make for a fun quick turnaround this week between the draft and UFA.

I bet we will see a flurry of moves on Tuesday after the finals are over.
Tend to agree.

I hate that the Cup Finals is tomorrow, but I expect to be a lot of stuff going on from Tuesday to July 2.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
wow Edmonton media really sucks. Guess it's not just Toronto media but it's a Canada wide problem. They come across as really pestering. They ask questions as if they are trying to put all the pressure they can on them. Why ask every single player if it's a career defining moment

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
The schedule is really just a result of Edm vs Fld right? Those places a really far apart lol.. extra day in between travel makes sense for the teams

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The schedule is really just a result of Edm vs Fld right? Those places a really far apart lol.. extra day in between travel makes sense for the teams
I think people complain about how the NHL playoffs in general instead of just the Finals was just longer than usual this year.
A huge factor was mainly bc a lot of teams venue were booked out and couldn't have space for the playoffs.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I feel a little dirty but have found myself rooting for both Vancouver and Edmonton this playoffs. I was hoping Vancouver would come out of the west and didn't care much about the SCF but coming back from 3-0 has me pulling for Edmonton.

It'll be nice to see Mcdavid and Hyman win a cup.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
wow Edmonton media really sucks. Guess it's not just Toronto media but it's a Canada wide problem. They come across as really pestering. They ask questions as if they are trying to put all the pressure they can on them. Why ask every single player if it's a career defining moment

You don't like the Canadian Corporate Sports Media Complex run by Bell and Rogers? The best is yet to come, I can see it now...

Connor, Connor, do you feel if you lose tonight that your existence will be without meaning and your career a failure knowing you let down all the little Albertans down?

Reactions: ruaware41

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The Hyman posts are always interesting when you were also here for the "Babcock's son" days of the board

I get it, but this feels revisionist to me. I am not sure anyone expected Hyman to ever score 50 (at 32yo, no less), but by his last year in Toronto, he was a popular player who had already come into his own.

The real question on his extension was whether he could remain healthy given his knee injuries in the prior two seasons, plus the fact that he was already in his late 20s and played a grinding style of game (i.e., when guys like him usually start to decline).

Edmonton was willing to take the risk because they had the cap space and were desperate for a top six winger to play with McDavid, while our cap situation was far more tight.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I get it, but this feels revisionist to me. I am not sure anyone expected Hyman to ever score 50 (at 32yo, no less), but by his last year in Toronto, he was a popular player who had already come into his own.

The real question on his extension was whether he could remain healthy given his knee injuries in the prior two seasons, plus the fact that he was already in his late 20s and played a grinding style of game (i.e., when guys like him usually start to decline).

Edmonton was willing to take the risk because they had the cap space and were desperate for a top six winger to play with McDavid, while our cap situation was far more tight.

Exactly. Paying him 5.5M was lunacy at the time for us. I mean, he is valuable at 2.8M on the cap but at 5.5 he becomes much less so. How the hell would anyone know he would score 50 goals? Probably wouldn’t have happened in Toronto anyway.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm guessing Hyman will score a Hat trick and well surpass matthews goal total this season (reg+playoffs) and tie first for most goals in a playoff season and win the conn smythe a statue will be built of him and he will write an inspiring children's book about it

Also Ceci will have 3 assists and will be +3

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Reduce regular season by ~2 months; cut ~20 games, all star, bye week; start regular season in Oct; end regular season mid Feb and end playoffs mid April

Make world championships a joint venture between iihf and nhl; alternate hosting annually between Europe and North America; hold it during May; truly best on best

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For me tonight's game is a Win - WIn

I'm going to put on my Leafs Zach Hyman jersey tonight as my former Leaf favourite and cheer him on to victory, living viciously through his success.

1719244311388.png

or if Florida wins then I've always been a big fan of coach Paul Maurice when he was our Leafs coach...

1719245165270.png
1719245233070.png

"Never say never to a Paul Maurice coached team" :wg:

So I wouldn't mind seeing Maurice hoist the Cup.

Since I don't have a no real dog in this fight I can live vicariously through the success of past Leaf favourites, while I keep waiting and counting from 1967 as a long suffering Leafs fan.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Exactly. Paying him 5.5M was lunacy at the time for us. I mean, he is valuable at 2.8M on the cap but at 5.5 he becomes much less so. How the hell would anyone know he would score 50 goals? Probably wouldn’t have happened in Toronto anyway.
Never mind the 54 regular seasons goals last year that was only the icing on the cake, or the 117 regular season goals since he departed in the past 3 years placing him 12th best overall.

1719247139724.png

In the past 3 playoff seasons NOBODY has scored more PLAYOFF goals then Zach Hyman. Along with Leon Draisiatl they have both scored 30 goals in 52 games.

1719246692409.png

Leaf fans have no problem paying Tyler Bertuzzi his $5.5 mil to produce 21 goals and 43 regular season points and 1 goal and 4 playoff points as a suitable Hyman replacement, while others believed Alex Kerfoot and Micheal Bunting were the answer to Leafs playoff problems. :)

TSN insider Chris Johnston put it best yesterday. "Letting Zach Hyman sign with the Edmonton Oilers will go down as one of, if not the biggest mistake in Toronto Maple Leafs history".

1719247492390.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad