Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
The last few days waiting must have felt like an eternity for edm and fla fans. Well now we are here and I see edm winning. This will go down as the best cup final ever. I'm prepared to keep my mouth shut for a few years about the oilers if they win. That team is so good they could probably get to the final next year too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Toronto made a bold move to win that Cup - they healthy scratched their regular season leading scorer for games 4-5-6-7 of the final.
I was just reading about that today as well. It be Leafs putting Mitch Marner in the pressbox because they want to win. :wg:

1719268796186.png

Toronto’s Gordie Drillon (left), head coach Hap Day and Bucko McDonald in the dressing room at Maple Leaf Gardens during 1941-42 training camp. Day would bench both veterans with Toronto down 3-0 in the 1942 Stanley Cup Final.

Bitterly disappointed, Smythe ordered his coach to shake up the roster for Game 4.

Day stunned hockey by benching Gordie Drillon, who had led team in scoring during the the regular season, and putting Don Metz on the top line with his brother, Nick, and captain Syl Apps.

Battleship defenseman Bucko McDonald was pulled in favor of rookie Ernie Dickens, who had all of 10 NHL games under his belt, none in the postseason.

The Maple Leafs’ plight -- indeed, their imminent demise -- delighted many.

And then Toronto goalie Walter Turk Broda trotted out the derisive nickname that had been given to Toronto in the late 1800s for its pork- and meat-packing industry, an insult that was “intended to convey an impression that the citizens of Toronto were porcine in their tendencies and had their forefeet in anything worth having,” according to an 1898 Toronto Globe and Mail editorial.

“Hogtown makes its last stand Sunday night!” Walter exclaimed.

Detroit jumped out to a 2-0 first-period lead in Game 4, Olympia Stadium fans expecting a championship sweep. But the new-look Maple Leafs tied it 2-2, surrendered the lead again, then scored twice in the third to win 4-3 and send the series back to Toronto.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I can't stand either team. But, my god. I'm going to feel bad for whoever loses this game tonight. It's going to f****** suck.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I can't stand either team. But, my god. I'm going to feel bad for whoever loses this game tonight. It's going to f****** suck.
Gonna be a tough pill to swallow for either side.

Biggest blown series lead in NHL history or massive comeback for the ages coming up one win short.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Health was my big concern, but there were a number who hated him especially early days. They felt he was over slotted in a top 6 role and couldn't keep up. He won some over, but certainly not all.

Just interesting to see

Fair enough. I remember a contingent here never forgave Nazem Kadri for being drafted by us instead of Cody Hodgson. Even after Hodgson had busted, those same names were still ripping into Naz. So I can definitely buy that some never came around to Hyman either.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
FFS, Bruins really couldn't go outside the division? Hope this blows up in Ottawa's face like usual

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
FFS, Bruins really couldn't go outside the division? Hope this blows up in Ottawa's face like usual
Ullmark looked bad against us his 1 start in the playoffs. Maybe this helps us out and gets us more wins within the division.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
You don't like the Canadian Corporate Sports Media Complex run by Bell and Rogers? The best is yet to come, I can see it now...

Connor, Connor, do you feel if you lose tonight that your existence will be without meaning and your career a failure knowing you let down all the little Albertans down?
to be fair that might be how McDavo actually feels 😂

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Been a long year, we've suffered through it together as we do, and now we're at the end. Enjoy it folks. Go Oilers! Bring it home!!!!!

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Ottawa got a steal in Ullmark. They should be in the playoff mix next year.

Interesting the Leafs were on his NTC but not the Sens.
If I had to bet, I would say that Ullmark is going to see his numbers nosedive in Ottawa. Lucky for him I expect that Ottawa is going to give him a positively stupid contract within the next 7 days. Meanwhile, I was expecting Boston to get more. Basically got nothing but a late first round pick. Korpisalo will be fine in Boston, but he's probably limited to 30 games in Boston.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
If I had to bet, I would say that Ullmark is going to see his numbers nosedive in Ottawa. Lucky for him I expect that Ottawa is going to give him a positively stupid contract within the next 7 days. Meanwhile, I was expecting Boston to get more. Basically got nothing but a late first round pick. Korpisalo will be fine in Boston, but he's probably limited to 30 games in Boston.
I wouldn't bet on it. He played behind a garbage Sabres team for years and put up solid numbers. He'll probably get too much money on his extension though, I agree.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
wow fans singing O Canada that loud in Florida? Unbelievable. Canada f***ing turns up. The Canadian one sounded louder than the American one on Florida ice.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

I wonder how badly Staios will overpay for Ullmark. I doubt he went there with a discount in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad