Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I get it, but this feels revisionist to me. I am not sure anyone expected Hyman to ever score 50 (at 32yo, no less), but by his last year in Toronto, he was a popular player who had already come into his own.

The real question on his extension was whether he could remain healthy given his knee injuries in the prior two seasons, plus the fact that he was already in his late 20s and played a grinding style of game (i.e., when guys like him usually start to decline).

Edmonton was willing to take the risk because they had the cap space and were desperate for a top six winger to play with McDavid, while our cap situation was far more tight.
Health was my big concern, but there were a number who hated him especially early days. They felt he was over slotted in a top 6 role and couldn't keep up. He won some over, but certainly not all.

Just interesting to see

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I don't see a world where McDavid doesn't have 3 points tonight. With the cup on line, I think he's going to be unstoppable tonight.
I'm expecting one of two outcomes:
1. Tight checking game the Panther squeak out 2-1
2. Oilers blowout

We should know pretty early. The Panthers have come out flat/hesitant/scared each of the last 3 games. If that happens again and the Oilers can jump on them it will be over early. If both teams come out nervous and its 0-0 through 10 minutes I expect the Panthers to slowly take control of the game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Oilers channeling 1942 Maple Leafs in stunning comeback to tie Cup Final​

Oilers have chance tonight to do what only 1 team in NHL history has ever done before come back from 0-3 in a SCF and Win the Stanley Cup.

The only other NHL team the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs

1719248969666.png

Now, in their first postseason meeting against the Panthers, the Oilers are poised to join an elite club of one. If that happens, surely someone in the Edmonton dressing room should utter “By jiminy!” to celebrate a time when Apps was a brilliant player, not things on a smartphone.

Connor McDavid can do what once Maple Leafs great and captain Syl Apps did.

Last edited:
Reactions: torontoblood

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I fully expect Hyman to score the winning goal if Oilers win. I still remember having my playoff avatar with him and the caption “busting Hyman”. lol. That seems like an eternity ago.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I fully expect Hyman to score the winning goal if Oilers win. I still remember having my playoff avatar with him and the caption “busting Hyman”. lol. That seems like an eternity ago.

That would be the perfect ending, with the cherry on top of Hyman's amazing season and also perhaps a rather astute prediction on your part. :wg: .

Question : You know which player has scored the most playoff goals in a single playoff season in the entire Salary Cap Era since 2004?
Answer: Zach Hyman with 16 in current playoffs.

In fact you would have to go back 28 years to 1996 playoff where Joe Sakic scored 18.

Question: Who has scored the most playoff goals in the last 3 playoff years combined.
Answer: Zach Hyman with 30 in 55 games (Draidsaitl tied)

So in fact if that was your prediction you would be betting on the favourite with the highest odds as NO ONE has scored more goals in a playoff season nor last 3 seasons combined. . :)

Vegas odds makers have that as the safest bet on the board. IF Oilers win !!!

PS .. The irony also would be sweet because Zach Hyman Drafted: 2010, FLA (123rd overall), 5th round, 3rd pick. As Panther original draft pick scoring the Series winning goal writes it own story.

Last edited:

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
@ULF_55 @Stephen @Mess All I ask is if the Oilers win tonight you guys please enforce an iron wall from Oilers trolls on this board, including troll likes/laugh reacts. I'm not touching the main boards but I don't want those guys anywhere near here.
If oilers fans are in here doing that, they are pathetic... Imagine winning the cup and wasting time with that.... But , we all know it's gonna happen cuz ppl suck

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
@ULF_55 @Stephen @Mess All I ask is if the Oilers win tonight you guys please enforce an iron wall from Oilers trolls on this board, including troll likes/laugh reacts. I'm not touching the main boards but I don't want those guys anywhere near here.

I feel like Edmonton winning a cup and their fans “celebrating” on the Leafs board this close to July would be proof of concept the Leafs are indeed Canada’s team. Will keep an eye out for the festivities…

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Hyman was improving every year, and was on a tremendous development curve.

He was well on his way to becoming a great player in Toronto.
No way, his current linemates play quite different than AM, MM and NY. They will join him at the corner to flight for the puck, unlike his old linemates in TOR.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Oilers have a lethal powerplay and best penalty kill in ages with Zach Hyman, while Leafs are more awesome with Mitch Marner at twice the costs...:sarcasm:

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I have actually started to think long term tin foil hat conspiracy and cheer a bit for the McDavid (not Oilers). Really tough though.

If McDavid wins it will be a mission accomplished, As a UFA say, I've accomplished everything possible in Edmonton, nothing else to do, lets move on and do it again for a new team. If he loses it will be a I want to stay in Edmonton and finish the deal.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Oilers channeling 1942 Maple Leafs in stunning comeback to tie Cup Final​

Oilers have chance tonight to do what only 1 team in NHL history has ever done before come back from 0-3 in a SCF and Win the Stanley Cup.

The only other NHL team the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs

View attachment 886239

Now, in their first postseason meeting against the Panthers, the Oilers are poised to join an elite club of one. If that happens, surely someone in the Edmonton dressing room should utter “By jiminy!” to celebrate a time when Apps was a brilliant player, not things on a smartphone.

Connor McDavid can do what once Maple Leafs great and captain Syl Apps did.

Toronto made a bold move to win that Cup - they healthy scratched their regular season leading scorer for games 4-5-6-7 of the final.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Yeah, like that's gonna happen. The only enforcement you'll see is if you venture into their forum.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

today I heard one of the hosts on a local radio say that Gretzky told the HNIC panel the issue with the Oilers having problems scoring was that they should quickly shoot high on the Bob's right side in game 1 or 2, and the Oilers have started to doing that since game 3.

Reactions: Jmo89

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Looks like a bunch of the cats fans are selling tickets to oilers fans for game 7.

You don't deserve Stanley if 1/3 of your arena is opposing fans in a winner take all game

Reactions: Metroid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad