Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Hockey is an expensive sports to play.

I grew up in the late 90s early 00s in a majority minority neighborhood in mississauga and we'd just play street hockey. while some will be quick to emphasize that it's not the same as doing it on ice, it was a great entry point for me and my peers into hockey and the leafs cuz most of us would not be able to convince our parents to pay for us to play ice hockey

re interest of minorities in hockey i think there's a big difference between those who have been here a long time vs newcomers, with the former having a lot more interest. it's still not the same level of interest shown by multigenerational white canadians but there's quite a notable contingent of minority fans in places like GTA and Lower Mainland and it makes those fanbases way more diverse than the fanbases of most US teams

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Demographics changing fast. I would argue the most popular sport in the GTA is cricket.
I watch far fewer playoff games as each season goes by. The product isn't as exciting as it used to be especially with less physical play. Also, the lack of Canadian team playoff success will of course hurt Canadian ratings. Bettman wants more US $ TV money and will sell out Canadian markets to achieve that.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
defence needs to be fast and mobile not just big trees. They need guys who can move the puck with speed (obviously you want them to be tall and rangy) but that would instantly make this team more likely to win
The team cant win with the current core 4 forwards

None of them are worth 9M come playoffs and just always underperform

There is no cap space to keept the core 4 and upgrade the defense wigh quality PMD while maintaining good offensive forward depth and having quality goaltending options

We need to change the nucleus of the team to shift money from a marner & tavares to a top pairing D + in prime 2C or 1G

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I watch far fewer playoff games as each season goes by. The product isn't as exciting as it used to be especially with less physical play. Also, the lack of Canadian team playoff success will of course hurt Canadian ratings. Bettman wants more US $ TV money and will sell out Canadian markets to achieve that.
Even though the 7 Canadian teams produce more than 60% of league revenue.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Solution is simple. Start the season early to mid September and aim to end it on the May Long weekend. What a nice tradition to open the cottage and watch the SCF.
This is what I came here to say, utter nonsense to be playing hockey in the middle of June. The volume of games is fine, the start/end season dates are the problem. I watched maybe 5 mins of Vegas/Florida last year, there's just other things I'd rather be doing this time of year.

Incredibly dumb league, no way around it.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It’s definitely time to throw Nu Hockey into the garbage and any talk about “goalies being voodoo” needs to be banished forever. You can build an offense heavy team but you need an elite goalie to give you an alternate path to victory. If a team wants to contend for a cup in a serious way, an elite goalie should be an absolute priority. Yes, teams have won with subpar goaltending here and there, but chances are it won’t be you.
"Nu Hockey" is a figment of imagination; not a thing that exists. I'm not sure when goaltending has ever not been a priority. It's just that saying that you want an elite goalie doesn't magically make one appear. There are a handful in the league, and they don't move. Many cup-winners still win with either below average goaltending or good goaltending from a non-elite goalie.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
too much man.jpg

Reactions: thewave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad