Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Where was the most valuable player in Game 6 and 7?
Why not give at least some credit to the Panthers for learning their lesson from previous games and then perhaps doing better to minimize McDavid's impact in the last couple of games? As well its not like some of the Panthers best players also didn't have trouble putting up points in the finals too. Evan Rodrigues outscored all of Barkov, Tkachuk, Reinhart and Verhaeghe in the series.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Fans will proclaim he was in alot of playoff series wins :) and a great playoff performer.

But I bet Perry would trade all those playoff series wins for his name to be on the cup.

Playoff wins means nothing unless you win the cup. Im happy McDavid won the MVP as he was a force all playoffs....but he too would trade that hardware for his name to be on Lord Stanley.

Hard to win a Championshop in professional sports...
His name is on the Cup

Reactions: TheScandal89

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's still not a good look for the league when the playoff MVP doesn't come out to physically accept the trophy from the Commissioner.
It’s still not a problem that needs a solution - 6 times in 60 yrs isn’t worth worrying about.

Perry did win a cup?
Anaheim. And he was a terrific version of Perry.

1719329593361.png

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Perry did win a cup?

Won it with the ducks. But also that's his 5th appearence
There are players in this league will trade their entire career for 1 appearence

There's nothing to be shamed off if you are Corey Perry
5 appearances, 1 stanly cup, league MVP, Richard winner
4 time all star
2 time gold medalist

I believe he's part of the golden trio AHL, NHL and Olympics

That's a legendary career

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Sad McDavid missed this chance.

Its a tough league now with way more teams and a hard cap and this opportunity might not come again as his peak is not going to last more than a couple more years. Bob really stood tall in game 7 after a rough stretch. Still a fun final to watch and the better overall team did win.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Why not give at least some credit to the Panthers for learning their lesson from previous games and then perhaps doing better to minimize McDavid's impact in the last couple of games? As well its not like some of the Panthers best players also didn't have trouble putting up points in the finals too. Evan Rodrigues outscored all of Barkov, Tkachuk, Reinhart and Verhaeghe in the series.

I give credit to the Panthers, which is why I think one of their players should have been given the Conn Smyth.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I give credit to the Panthers, which is why I think one of their players should have been given the Conn Smyth.

McDavid put up the 4th best playoff performance of ALL TIME. Only Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux ever recorded more points in a playoff year, with Mario doing it 33 years ago as the most recent.

2023-24 Winner: Edmonton Oilers center Connor McDavid (8‑34—42 in 25 GP) won the Conn Smythe Trophy after breaking Wayne Gretzky’s record for assists in one playoff year and joining Gretzky and Mario Lemieux as the only players in League history with 40‑plus points in a single postseason. McDavid became the sixth player – and second skater – to secure the Conn Smythe Trophy despite not winning the Stanley Cup.

1719331431468.png

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It’s still not a problem that needs a solution - 6 times in 60 yrs isn’t worth worrying about.

McDavid became the sixth player – and second skater – to secure the Conn Smythe Trophy despite not winning the Stanley Cup, following Jean-Sebastien Giguere (2003 ANA), Ron Hextall (1987 PHI), Reggie Leach (1976 PHI), Glenn Hall (1968 STL) and Roger Crozier (1966 DET).

Reactions: Nineteen67

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
It's still not a good look for the league when the playoff MVP doesn't come out to physically accept the trophy from the Commissioner.

I expected Leon to be the sore loser in all this. The so-called greatest thing since sliced bread ditching the ice and not accepting the Smythe caught me by surprise.

Reactions: WillNy29

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Are you asking about the SCF or the 1st Round Leafs-Bruins series ?
His playoff run included the highest point total in the Stanley Cup Final since 2010 (3‑8-11 points, including a record 3‑5-8 points while facing elimination in the series).

McDavid’s 42 overall points were 20 more than the highest-scoring player from any other team, the largest such difference in NHL postseason history.

Reactions: ruaware41

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I expected Leon to be the sore loser in all this. The so-called greatest thing since sliced bread ditching the ice and not accepting the Smythe caught me by surprise.
Really? That caught you by surprise? I would have been disappointed if he left his teammates to accept that. What did you expect him to do?
1719334200122.gif

I would have told Bettman you can take that trophy and shove it somewhere.
It means nothing with the big silver one 10 feet away. It’s Cup or bust remember.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There was a most valuable player for the Leafs in round 1????

Joseph Woll perhaps?

In Woll, the team has a 25-year-old standout who has proven that he can win in the postseason. Woll may only have played 2 games, but his minuscule .086 GAA and .964 SV% are a pretty good indicator that the kid is cool as a cucumber when playing under pressure, an absolute necessity in the postseason.

If Woll doesn't get hurt perhaps there is a round #2 for Toronto.

"Good teams are built from the goalie out ..." :wg:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Joseph Woll perhaps?

In Woll, the team has a 25-year-old standout who has proven that he can win in the postseason. Woll may only have played 2 games, but his minuscule .086 GAA and .964 SV% are a pretty good indicator that the kid is cool as a cucumber when playing under pressure, an absolute necessity in the postseason.

If Woll doesn't get hurt perhaps there is a round #2 for Toronto.

"Good teams are built from the goalie out ..." :wg:
I won’t argue that. Unfortunately I need a bigger sample size.
A few games here and hurt consistently doesn’t build an MVP potential resume.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Won it with the ducks. But also that's his 5th appearence
There are players in this league will trade their entire career for 1 appearence

There's nothing to be shamed off if you are Corey Perry
5 appearances, 1 stanly cup, league MVP, Richard winner
4 time all star
2 time gold medalist

I believe he's part of the golden trio AHL, NHL and Olympics

That's a legendary career

Mitch Marner is better according to some...:sarcasm:

Reactions: fahad203

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
McDavid became the sixth player – and second skater – to secure the Conn Smythe Trophy despite not winning the Stanley Cup, following Jean-Sebastien Giguere (2003 ANA), Ron Hextall (1987 PHI), Reggie Leach (1976 PHI), Glenn Hall (1968 STL) and Roger Crozier (1966 DET).

Not sure what to think...that's the highest tier of losers if you have a different perspective...McDavid wasn't happy getting the Conn Smythe.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder if Edmonton re-signs Draisaitl after July 1 or they let him play out the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad