Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Our core is not built for playoff hockey.
80% of the game is played on the wall. Control the boards, control the series.
Forecheck and win the puck battles.

I’m pretty sure you could put Hyman with Barkov and he’d have more success than he had here. We don’t play that way.
Hyman is the perfect playoff style player.. He plays physical, he wins puck battles for his linemates, he lives in the blue paint, occupying defenders and screening the goalie and scores greasy goals because he gives 100% effort every shift.

Past Toronto management wasn't smart enough to play him on the PP because they invest 1/2 their Cap in the Core 4 and then come playoff time they can't figure out why their PP goes cold.

Zach Hyman has 11 PP goals this playoff season alone. The entire Leafs team scored 12 goals total this years playoffs and they most games they every one in a season is 5 while Hyman has 5 GWG including series deciding goals to advance his team.

Everyone is so protective of a small soft perimeter player like Marner who had 1 goal and 3 points when the Leafs as a team would be so much better with a team full of blue collar hard working players like Hyman . Heck former Leaf Connor Brown has as many SH points this year as Marner had points total. Even more shocking is Leaf fans want Marner extended to pay him potentiality $12 mil when players making $5 mil or less feast in the playoffs.

Reactions: Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Matthews and Marner are relatively lazy players, especially Marner in the playoffs...they don't have the will and don't want to put in the work to win playoff games...they would rather stand back and let a player like Hyman, who made 1/4 of their salaries, go dig for the puck while they watch.
Mathews and Marner were also gifted MONSTER contracts without having proved a darn thing.

And, so was Tavares. He led the Islanders to NOWHERE land and got paid by our Leafs handsomely. Our Leafs should have offered him $9M tops and told him to take it or go to SJ !!!

Nylander should have been traded for a D-man as soon as he held out.

Now, the entire core is well overpaid having only 1 playoff round win in 8 seasons.

DISGUSTING IMHO.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Mathews and Marner were also gifted MONSTER contracts without having proved a darn thing.

And, so was Tavares. He led the Islanders to NOWHERE land and got paid by our Leafs handsomely Our Leafs should have offered him $9M tops and told him to take it or go to SJ !!!

Nylander should have been traded for a D-man as soon as he held out.
Nylander never held out though.

Yashin held out, Nylander wasn't able to play because he didn't have a contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nylander never held out though.

Yashin held out, Nylander wasn't able to play because he didn't have a contract.
I thought he didn't start playing until December the year of his hold out...

'The standoff between William Nylander and the Toronto Maple Leafs continues and we're now down to the last week. Head coach Mike Babcock believes a deal will be done and Nylander will be back with the team, however the clock is ticking and nothing is done yet. While the holdout continues, Nylander has actually set a new NHL record. The young forward has become the longest holdout since the Group 2 free agents deadline was put into place. The previous longest holdout had been Kyle Turris in 2011 who signed his new deal with the Arizona Coyotes on November 22nd.'

Actually, all of the articles I just read said it was a holdout !!!

Reactions: ruaware41

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't believe Hyman will produce like he is with Oilers if he stays with the Leafs but his level of play, the compete, the grit, the grind.. will still be there.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
If Edmonton wins all you un-patriotics who picked Florida don't get to celebrate.

You don't get to jump on the bandwagon AFTER they win. You pick your pony and ride it to the bitter end. You share in your proxy team's misery and humiliation.

I'll at least be able to celebrate living vicariously through Edmonton's achievements.

I wasn't gonna pick Florida. It's both anti-patriotic and anti-Leafs. Now that Tampa and Boston are on the way down Forida is enemy number one in this fan's eyes.

Responsible for this Leafs core most humiliating playoffs loss to date.

Nothing would make me happier than watching them get embarassed in the biggest game of the year. Other than seeing the Leafs themselves actually win it all. But since that's never gonna happen I'll take Edmonton winning it as a pretty nice consolation prize.

Then I can rub it in all the faces of the unpatriots who picked Florida.
I'm cheering for Edmonton but their fans are by far the most obnoxious group on these forums. Normally it is considered customary HF practice that you can join and participate in the forum of a team you are now rooting for after your team is eliminated, but with the Oilers it is incredibly difficult because 40% of what they do on their boards even while their team is competing for a stanley cup, is obsess over why they feel like no one likes them, mainly Calgary, Vancouver, and Toronto and what we are thinking. It is the most obnoxious insecure group of fans that makes it hard to want to cheer for them.

They are better than Florida fans who on every other post just whine about how they will never watch hockey again. Bandwagon ass disloyal americans haha

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is Bouchard the best producing defenseman in salary cap era.
He's at over 115 points for the season.
He's at 117 points now.

Makar had 115 points 2021-2022.

In keeping with the Hyman 70 goal distortion of seasonal scoring.

;)
If you asked me I would say 54 regular season goals and 16 playoff goals (the most by any players since 1996) helping a team advance to game #7 of the Stanley Cup final is >>>>>>>>>> 69 regular season goals & 1 playoff goal and early tee time after round #1.

One is better if you like real Hockey and the other if Golfing season is first and foremost.

But that's just me cause I'm a Championships kind of guy, and regular season stats padding simply a means to make the playoffs and then get reset to Zero, when the real meaningful hockey begins.. :wg:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Bomber0104

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I thought he didn't start playing until December the year of his hold out...

'The standoff between William Nylander and the Toronto Maple Leafs continues and we're now down to the last week. Head coach Mike Babcock believes a deal will be done and Nylander will be back with the team, however the clock is ticking and nothing is done yet. While the holdout continues, Nylander has actually set a new NHL record. The young forward has become the longest holdout since the Group 2 free agents deadline was put into place. The previous longest holdout had been Kyle Turris in 2011 who signed his new deal with the Arizona Coyotes on November 22nd.'

Actually, all of the articles I just read said it was a holdout !!!
Can't be a holdout unless there is a contract.
Without a contract there is nothing to holdout from.
You cannot honour a non-existing agreement.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If you asked me I would say 54 regular season goals and 16 playoff goals (the most by any players since 1996) helping a team advance to game #7 of the Stanley Cup final is >>>>>>>>>> 69 regular season goals & 1 playoff goal and early tee time after round #1.

One is better if you like real Hockey and the other if Golfing season is first and foremost.

But that's just me cause I'm a Championships kind of guy, and regular season stats padding simply a means to make the playoffs and then get reset to Zero, when the real meaningful hockey begins.. :wg:

So you support that Bouchard is absolutely running away with it in the post season?
He should be getting some MVP votes.
Second leading points production in the playoffs.
10 more points than Florida's leading scorer.
Looks like he's in the Makar area code now.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Is Bouchard the best producing defenseman in salary cap era.
He's at over 115 points for the season.
He's at 117 points now.

Makar had 115 points 2021-2022.

In keeping with the Hyman 70 goal distortion of seasonal scoring.

;)

It takes more than one season to take that sort of title.

Do it twice and then it’s a conversation.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i am always amused by this.
I don't believe Hyman will produce like he is with Oilers if he stays with the Leafs but his level of play, the compete, the grit, the grind.. will still be there.

The thing is - i remember everyone thought that the years/term that Hyman signed for in was really not worthwhile with his injury history.

I will never understand why people can't just be happy former players here are doing well, without being "well you know if they were here we'd be amazing." life doesn't work like that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
i am always amused by this.

The thing is - i remember everyone thought that the years/term that Hyman signed for in was really not worthwhile with his injury history.

I will never understand why people can't just be happy former players here are doing well, without being "well you know if they were here we'd be amazing." life doesn't work like that.

I think the main issue is the team under Dubas Keefe and Shanahan flip flopped. They brought in Mr Grinder Babcock and then after he got complained out of town systematically got rid of all the grinders and replaced them with Kerfoots until their jobs were in jeopardy. They then traded all our assets away to get some augmentation to make us gritty. Team had no tending and no time to form chemistry.

Hyman and Kadri are the salt in the wound. All the hopeful gritty guys gone in trades etc. Often for nothing because of NuSoftHockey.

It was no different then Mr Truculence keeping his run and gun friend coach on too long.

Its really just the stupidity of it all. If someone asks me the first thing that comes to mind when I hear MLSE, Stupid, Foolish, dumb incompetents come to mind

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I find it crazy that a team with Cody Ceci in its lineup and Stuart Skinner as its goalie can make it to game 7 of the SCF. I guess with Ceci you could say defencemen take a while to develop sometimes but it's plausible Skinner will not even be in the league in a few years. No hate guy seems like a good dude but he's had some pretty below-par performances in these playoffs. I think this Edmonton run puts to bed the excuse of we just got goalied what 7-8 years in a row. Edmonton has been lighting up Bobrovsky after the first 3 games with a much worse goalie. So no, you don't get goalied for more than half a decade, we just weren't good enough.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We're cheering the wrong team then :partytime::biglaugh:

Living vicariously through the success of past Leaf players, at the expense of great Leaf failures, is something Leaf fans have to do . :wg:

1719100769275.png

Before the start of the Stanley Cup Finals, Zach Hyman revealed that he was forced out of Toronto and didn't have much of a choice about re-signing. That, according to reports, was due to the fact Hyman wanted trade protection, which is something former GM Kyle Dubas did not want to do.

While many Leaf fans were disappointed to see him leave, they were happy to see him get paid, as much as Oilers fans refuse to believe it. Now, he and the Oilers are one win away from winning their first Stanley Cup since 1990 and Canada's first one since 1993 after forcing Game 7 and erasing a 3-0 series deficit in the series.

This, according to TSN's Chris Johnston, was far and away Kyle Dubas' biggest mistake of his career as a general manager in the NHL. Leaf Nation will not soon forgive nor forget.

1719100910080.png

This year, Hyman became just the seventh Oiler in franchise history to score 50+ goals this past season and is currently leading the playoffs with 16 goals.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Living vicariously through the success of past Leaf players, at the expense of great Leaf failures, is something Leaf fans have to do . :wg:

View attachment 885818

Before the start of the Stanley Cup Finals, Zach Hyman revealed that he was forced out of Toronto and didn't have much of a choice about re-signing. That, according to reports, was due to the fact Hyman wanted trade protection, which is something former GM Kyle Dubas did not want to do.

While many Leaf fans were disappointed to see him leave, they were happy to see him get paid, as much as Oilers fans refuse to believe it. Now, he and the Oilers are one win away from winning their first Stanley Cup since 1990 and Canada's first one since 1993 after forcing Game 7 and erasing a 3-0 series deficit in the series.

This, according to TSN's Chris Johnston, was far and away Kyle Dubas' biggest mistake of his career as a general manager in the NHL. Leaf Nation will not soon forgive nor forget.

View attachment 885820

This year, Hyman became just the seventh Oiler in franchise history to score 50+ goals this past season and is currently leading the playoffs with 16 goals.

90337a4429583a390d36bd98ba016855.gif

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
God Bless. The obsession with Hyman is juvenile. Who cares what he does. Good for him that he is having a good season. The idea that letting him leave was an "all-timer" says more about what an idiot Chris Johnston is than anything about Leafs' management.

As for game 7, I hope Florida turns the page and wins. I don't particularly care about the outcome as Edmonton winning a Cup doesn't faze me (I've seen them win many over the years), but I think it's always healthier for the league when a newer franchise wins. The NHL needs growth. Edmonton winning won't result in any growth in the popularity of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad