Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Are you from Alberta? If roles are reversed, the Leafs are in the final, not a single person in Alberta would cheer for the Leafs.

Why would I care?

Wouldn't make any difference to me. Just cause someone doesn't like my hometown team doesn't mean I can't like their hometown team. It's called being a grown up and taking the high road.

If Edmonton fans don't like it they stick it where the sun don't shine.

😭😭😭

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The one positive about Florida pulling off the biggest choke in league history is it might calm the fanbase down... or maybe not.
Maybe, but I thought Florida wiping Edmonton off the map was proof that the reason the Leafs couldn’t get by the 1st round was the Atlantic.

Reactions: ULF_55

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Imagine the Leafs boys ever having the balls to call a cup or bust season.
They’re not close to that level of talent. It’s not lack desire it’s lack of ability to raise their game. There’s not a lot of distinction in pre-season game versus a playoff game for most of the leadership.

Reactions: thewave

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Edmonton wins all you un-patriotics who picked Florida don't get to celebrate.

You don't get to jump on the bandwagon AFTER they win. You pick your pony and ride it to the bitter end. You share in your proxy team's misery and humiliation.

I'll at least be able to celebrate living vicariously through Edmonton's achievements.

I wasn't gonna pick Florida. It's both anti-patriotic and anti-Leafs. Now that Tampa and Boston are on the way down Forida is enemy number one in this fan's eyes.

Responsible for this Leafs core most humiliating playoffs loss to date.

Nothing would make me happier than watching them get embarassed in the biggest game of the year. Other than seeing the Leafs themselves actually win it all. But since that's never gonna happen I'll take Edmonton winning it as a pretty nice consolation prize.

Then I can rub it in all the faces of the unpatriots who picked Florida.
Celebrate? Why would any celebrate either team winning.

I have to believe that the Leafs core-4 watching old teammates Brown, Hyman, Carrick, Ceci, Pickard, Campbell and even, sort of, Gagner (Marlies) do this, it will light a fire under them. Because, if this doesn't, I really don't think anything will.
I watched the highlights this am….remember when Hyman was one of the fastest Leafs player. Got to have speed and quickness in this era.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Are you from Alberta? If roles are reversed, the Leafs are in the final, not a single person in Alberta would cheer for the Leafs.
When the Leafs play out west, the arenas are packed with Leaf fans, most of whom live there.

Reactions: ULF_55

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You really wonder who was holding Hyman back when he was a Leaf...Matthews or Marner?

Lots, but Leafs players are not like Oilers star players, they're only paid like them :wg:.

NOBODY in NHL has scored more playoff goals in the past 3 seasons then Zach Hyman, as he is tied with teammate Draisaitl with 30 each with McDavid 3rd with 26.

1719062466108.png

Zach Hyman for $5 mil AAV and his 30 goals is more that Matthews & Nylander and Marner combined who have combined for 26 goals.

1719062680179.png

Oilers 3 star players above McDavid (@ $12.5 mil AAV) & Draisaitl (@ $8.5 mil) & Hyman (@ $5 mil) for $ 26 mil cap combined = 86 goals & 139 assists = 225 playoff points (last 3 years only)
vs
Leaf Core 4 of Matthews ($11.634) & Tavares ($11 mil) & Marner ($10.9 mil & Nylander ($6.96 mil) for $40.5 mil cap combined = 34 goals & 51 assists = 85 playoff points

Oilers invest about 1/2 the Salary Cap into their 3 Core players and get +52 goals & 140 more playoff points.

So you can see why Leafs salary Cap is SOOOOO SCREWED compared to paying for top playoff performance.

PS Lets not Matthews is getting a nice raise to $13.25 mil & Willy up to $11.55 mil and Marner wants his +$12 mil for their performances. :help::surrender

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
If Edmonton wins all you un-patriotics who picked Florida don't get to celebrate.

You don't get to jump on the bandwagon AFTER they win. You pick your pony and ride it to the bitter end. You share in your proxy team's misery and humiliation.

I'll at least be able to celebrate living vicariously through Edmonton's achievements.

I wasn't gonna pick Florida. It's both anti-patriotic and anti-Leafs. Now that Tampa and Boston are on the way down Forida is enemy number one in this fan's eyes.

Nothing would make me happier than watching them get embarassed in the biggest game of the year. Other than seeing the Leafs themselves actually win it all. But since that's never gonna happen I'll take Edmonton winning it as a pretty nice consolation prize.

I'm gonna celebrate my big pay out if oilers make a comeback

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I have to believe that the Leafs core-4 watching old teammates Brown, Hyman, Carrick, Ceci, Pickard, Campbell and even, sort of, Gagner (Marlies) do this, it will light a fire under them. Because, if this doesn't, I really don't think anything will.

Yes. I can totally see Marner sitting on his lazy ass at the cottage, saying to himself "You know, maybe it's time that we did something in the playoffs".

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Lots, but Leafs players are not like Oilers star players, they're only paid like them :wg:.

NOBODY in NHL has scored more playoff goals in the past 3 seasons then Zach Hyman, as he is tied with teammate Draisaitl with 30 each with McDavid 3rd with 26.

View attachment 885649

Zach Hyman for $5 mil AAV and his 30 goals is more that Matthews & Nylander and Marner combined who have combined for 26 goals.

View attachment 885650

Oilers 3 star players above McDavid (@ $12.5 mil AAV) & Draisaitl (@ $8.5 mil) & Hyman (@ $5 mil) for $ 26 mil cap combined = 86 goals & 139 assists = 225 playoff points (last 3 years only)
vs
Leaf Core 4 of Matthews ($11.634) & Tavares ($11 mil) & Marner ($10.9 mil & Nylander ($6.96 mil) for $40.5 mil cap combined = 34 goals & 51 assists = 85 playoff points

Oilers invest about 1/2 the Salary Cap into their 3 Core players and get +52 goals & 140 more playoff points.

So you can see why Leafs salary Cap is SOOOOO SCREWED compared to paying for top playoff performance.

PS Lets not Matthews is getting a nice raise to $13.25 mil & Willy up to $11.55 mil and Marner wants his +$12 mil for their performances. :help::surrender
Our core is not built for playoff hockey.
80% of the game is played on the wall. Control the boards, control the series.
Forecheck and win the puck battles.

I’m pretty sure you could put Hyman with Barkov and he’d have more success than he had here. We don’t play that way.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They’re not close to that level of talent. It’s not lack desire it’s lack of ability to raise their game. There’s not a lot of distinction in pre-season game versus a playoff game for most of the leadership.

It’s a lack of desire to raise their game and want to cheat and play easy. That’s why when vague notions of change are brought up everyone says it’s exactly what they need.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s a lack of desire to raise their game and want to cheat and play easy. That’s why when vague notions of change are brought up everyone says it’s exactly what they need.
It’s a catch 22. I think desire and ability to raise your game is actually a skill that you develop and strengthen.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s a catch 22. I think desire and ability to raise your game is actually a skill that you develop and strengthen.

Yeah and management has always over emphasized their “talent level” as the path to victory without understanding all the other things needed from a work ethic to character building aspects. No one in that organization understands it. That’s why they seem so unserious and disengaged at times and when it really matters it’s trash.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I doubt most of Leafs Nation feel that strongly about either team winning.

Florida losing would be the Stanley Cup of schadenfreude enthusiasts. The psychological scarring on that franchise would be so delicious especially after their 2 year bully run in the league. It and would be cool to see McDavid win a cup, Edmonton pull off something historic.

As far as Canada and patriotism is concerned, it’s club sports. The two aren’t related.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
You really wonder who was holding Hyman back when he was a Leaf...Matthews or Marner?
I would say the double knee injuries. He had two bad knees and Babcock still made him take faceoffs against Bergeron on the PK.

No way his contract looked like it was going to age well but his injuries have not returned/caught up to him thus far.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I’m pretty sure you could put Hyman with Barkov and he’d have more success than he had here. We don’t play that way.

Just never forget the shit we got for calling out Dubas Keefe Shanahan and Marner. Oh how the tune has changed and how they have seen the light.

Babcock knew you win with guys like Hyman, Kadri etc. Maybe he did some strange non criminal junk. Point is he got it right and our group that has been generally correct now for over a decade sit here and think.

Does Leaf Nation finally get it yet? Losing assets for nothing? Overpays? NuSoftHockey or Mortgaging the future for low percentage chances at winning is not a formula for freaking success.

This comeback is about the character of guys like Hyman that we threw away. Its about overpaying whiney little wimps like Marner because advanced stats means F all to get a cup.

After watching this comeback. Last chance MLSE. Your brand is in decline and becoming toxic fast. Shit or get off the pot.

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

f*** the oilers, habs, sens, nucks, jets, flames

thèse fan bases were celebrating Leafs losing against bruins this year and the against cats last year

There is ONLY ONE bandwagon and it is TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS!

When Canada is playing at Olympic or world cup then I will cheer the CANADIAN team on

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wrong.

Yes, I live in Alberta. Many people I know here would cheer for a Canadian team once their team is eliminated.

You are only talking about the Alberta equivalents of Toronto fan's who think Draisaitl piggybacks McDavid to get all his points.

There are no border restrictions for whack-jobs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just never forget the shit we got for calling out Dubas Keefe Shanahan and Marner. Oh how the tune has changed and how they have seen the light.

Babcock knew you win with guys like Hyman, Kadri etc. Maybe he did some strange non criminal junk. Point is he got it right and our group that has been generally correct now for over a decade sit here and think.

Does Leaf Nation finally get it yet? Losing assets for nothing? Overpays? NuSoftHockey or Mortgaging the future for low percentage chances at winning is not a formula for freaking success.

This comeback is about the character of guys like Hyman that we threw away. Its about overpaying whiney little wimps like Marner because advanced stats means F all to get a cup.

After watching this comeback. Last chance MLSE. Your brand is in decline and becoming toxic fast. Shit or get off the pot.

Hyman went for the most money.
That was his choice, and it has worked out for the Oilers and Hyman.

Team had already quit on Babcock, and he gets signed to a new deal and commits a symbolic hara-kiri before the season even starts. Guy has some brain issues that he got away with when the power structure was different.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Matthews and Marner are relatively lazy players, especially Marner in the playoffs...they don't have the will and don't want to put in the work to win playoff games...they would rather stand back and let a player like Hyman, who made 1/4 of their salaries, go dig for the puck while they watch.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Matthews and Marner are relatively lazy players, especially Marner in the playoffs...they don't have the will and don't want to put in the work to win playoff games...they would rather stand back and let a player like Hyman, who made 1/4 of their salaries, go dig for the puck while they watch.

Hyman is a better player today, than he was in Toronto.

His go-to was wrap-around, now he receives passes as well as makes passes.

Could it be that he had teammates in Toronto who had one play, pass to Matthews.

I remember back maybe 1st. year with Matthews and the threat when Nylander and Matthews were out there was who is going to shoot? Cross ice passes to either and expectations were high.

Less movement today, and 1st., 2nd. and 3rd. option is pass to Matthews.

Reactions: Warden of the North
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad