Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Imagine looking at a spreadsheet and Power BI and thinking Hyman should be let go.

I honestly cannot believe how many wrong decisions were made in such a short period of time. It seems like it was almost on purpose.

This is how a team should use a spreadsheet when evaluating bang for your cap buck$

1717524926125.png

Hyman stats since leaving the Leafs because the Leafs GM thought $5 mil per was too rich for his blood.

Some things that stand out.

1) Hyman has scored 28 playoff goals in last 3 seasons = Matthews, Nylander and Tavares combined.
2) Hyman was seen as easily replaceable but his 145 goals totals are + 45 more than Tavares and + 48 more than Marner and he is doing it for < 1/2 their cap cost.
3) Nylander who is improving every year has recorded -21 less goals and he is getting a raise to $11.25 mil on performance.
4) Marner is clearly the weakest link and seen as irreplaceable and in fact many want to see him get a raise to +$12 mil per.

This spreadsheet clearly demonstrates the gross incompetence and player evaluation ability of the past GM and amplifies the Cap Hell the Leafs find themselves in.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: francis246

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This is how a team should use a spreadsheet when evaluating bang for you cap buck$

View attachment 879511

Hyman stats since leaving the Leafs because the Leafs GM thought $5 mil per was too rich for his blood.

1) Hyman has scored 28 playoff goals in last 3 seasons = Matthews, Nylander and Tavares combined.
2) Hyman was seen as easily replaceable but his 145 goals totals are + 45 more than Tavares and + 48 more than Marner and he is doing it for < 1/2 their cap cost.
3) Nylander who is improving every year has recorded -21 less goals and he is getting a raise to $11.25 mil on performance.
4) Marner is clearly the weakest link and seen as irreplaceable and in fact many want to see him get a raise to +$12 mil per.

This spreadsheet clearly demonstrates the gross incompetence and player evaluation ability of the past GM and amplifies the Cap Hell the Leafs find themselves in.

If only we could use a crystal ball to make the right decision.

Hyman in his playoff career as a Leaf:

5 goals, 13 points in 32 games over 5 seasons.

He had injuries some of those years sure, but he was coming off a bigger injury in his last season and at age 28 that represented risk in resigning him long term.

If we’re willing to move any of the core 4 for their playoff performances to date, Hyman’s stats to that point were no different

Reactions: francis246

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If we were in the West we probably would have won a couple of rounds.

Edmonton will find what our team goes through.

The toughest division in the league
But we had those 2 seasons where we didn't have to play Atlantic teams and same thing. LA was literally a top 5 defensive team this year and Vancouver and Dallas were like 6th and 8th. I agree that it's a tough division but at some point your stars should be able to breakthrough like Edmontons has.

Reactions: Kerberos

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
This is how a team should use a spreadsheet when evaluating bang for your cap buck$

View attachment 879511

Yes, it was a wild, but not uncharacteristic misjudge of a player's ability and value to a team by the previous management. Many, many fans explained the mistake that was unfolding before our eyes.

There's legitimately about 50% of this board that would be a better GM than Kyle.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
It's free though. It's not like something behind a paywall at onlyfans.

Tits weren't behind a paywall when I was in high school and college. Meh... I prefer them real. Something about the scars doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I should shut up... to each his own.

Reactions: Evilhomer

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Yes, it was a wild, but not uncharacteristic misjudge of a player's ability and value to a team by the previous management. Many, many fans explained the mistake that was unfolding before our eyes.

There's legitimately about 50% of this board that would be a better GM than Kyle.

Kyle could really show his mettle by inking Marner to a new deal.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Trouba was playing with a broken ankle, a chunk of his ankle missing during the playoffs

Wake me up the next time a Leaf has the balls to do that

Our guys instead sat out because of a tummy ache

This team is soft to the core and this is why we'll never get far in the playoffs

Reactions: Al14

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

He is leading the playoffs in goals so he might even get serious consideration for the Conn Symthe Trophy as playoff MVP.

So far this year ..

Matthews .. 69 regular season goals and 1 p;layoff goal = 70 goals total vs. Hyman 54 regular season goals 14 playoff goals = 68 goals total.

Zach is 2 goals away from passing Auston Matthews in goals this year and we're about to pay AM $13.25 mil the highest Cap hit in the NHL and we let a guy walk who is the perfect style playoff performer go over $5 mil..

Now new Leafs GM BT is forced to find a Hyman replacement and we're paying 21 goal and 43 point winger Tyler Bertuzzi at $5.5 mil and perhaps even more to stay.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Trouba was playing with a broken ankle, a chunk of his ankle missing during the playoffs

This team is soft to the core and this is why we'll never get far in the playoffs
Leafs Dman Bobby Baun did that.

1717545621928.png

Leafs would win game #7 and hoist the Stanley Cup.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

You could pull a knowledgeable college kid from the TTC that would do a better job than some of the professionals they have hired in the last 25 years. I wanted to throw up when I discovered what we gave up for Raycroft and Toskala in consecutive off-seasons. This organization was on the right path when it hired Lou. Lou has his warts; however, he puts the organization first. With Dubas, we got guys wearing Mickey Mouse T-Shirts in pre-game entrances and fedoras in post-game interviews (Marner of course, after we blew a 3-0 lead against Columbus in Game 3). This is not a serious organization.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just visited Sportsnet and their comments section.

What is hilarious is that all the smack talk about Leafs fans and I bet the majority of those fans have never seen their team win, or they're band wagon fans climbing on the latest US team to make the finals.

3 decades you frauds.

Reactions: PromisedLand

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You could pull a knowledgeable college kid from the TTC that would do a better job than some of the professionals they have hired in the last 25 years. I wanted to throw up when I discovered what we gave up for Raycroft and Toskala in consecutive off-seasons. This organization was on the right path when it hired Lou. Lou has his warts; however, he puts the organization first. With Dubas, we got guys wearing Mickey Mouse T-Shirts in pre-game entrances and fedoras in post-game interviews (Marner of course, after we blew a 3-0 lead against Columbus in Game 3). This is not a serious organization.

I disagree.

Lou puts Lou first.

He's a micro manager who never won poop after Brodeur retired.

He hasn't won in over 20 years.

horner

May 22, 2007
But we had those 2 seasons where we didn't have to play Atlantic teams and same thing. LA was literally a top 5 defensive team this year and Vancouver and Dallas were like 6th and 8th. I agree that it's a tough division but at some point your stars should be able to breakthrough like Edmontons has.
Price in goal for Montreal

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Well we know now that both were concussion like symptoms and they couldn’t say that otherwise they’d get in a lot of shit from the NHL. Wasn’t flu at all, concussion

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
I disagree.

Lou puts Lou first.

He's a micro manager who never won poop after Brodeur retired.

He hasn't won in over 20 years.
Lou started the horrific rush the rebuild greedy nonsense that Dubas inherited. But because he's an old rugged looking old school white man a lot of ppl here will give him a pass and because Kyle is a shy nerdy looking so called progressive white guy who loved spreadsheets a lot of that same crowd will dunk on him endlessly and for that very same reason a lot of people will support him endlessly. I'm guilty of it myself but a lot of it ends up becoming very shallow. If you look at the actual moves both of them really sucked. Pretty sure it was Lou who decided to bring aboard the worst mentor in Marleau at a 6m cap and pretty sure it was Lou who decided to keep Bozak and JVR on expiring contracts as own rentals instead of keep rebuilding and trade 2 2nds for Boyle because some really thought that roster would win a cup.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Lou started the horrific rush the rebuild greedy nonsense that Dubas inherited. But because he's an old rugged looking old school white man a lot of ppl here will give him a pass and because Kyle is a shy nerdy looking so called progressive white guy who loved spreadsheets a lot of that same crowd will dunk on him endlessly and for that very same reason a lot of people will support him endlessly. I'm guilty of it myself but a lot of it ends up becoming very shallow. If you look at the actual moves both of them really sucked. Pretty sure it was Lou who decided to bring aboard the worst mentor in Marleau at a 6m cap and pretty sure it was Lou who decided to keep Bozak and JVR on expiring contracts as own rentals instead of keep rebuilding and trade 2 2nds for Boyle because some really thought that roster would win a cup.
If they rushed the rebuild it was signing Tavares. Trading a 2nd for Boyle and Pleks in two playoffs is hardly what I would call rushing the rebuild. Unfortunately Dubas strong armed Shanny and they let Lou go instead of letting him finish the job. Shanny's BIGGEST mistake and his head should have rolled with Dubas'.

Reactions: Al14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad