Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If you know you know :laugh:

GPIhPpLXcAEJSOf
Meanwhile for the Leafs:
1717460564259.gif

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looks like we should've hired Berube 4 months ago. Dammit! This could've been us on the 2nd half heater and playing for the Cup.
Well you know its a good hire when the Leafs direct competition don't like it. :wg:

Jon Cooper shares strong prediction about the Toronto Maple Leafs

Perhaps in a rather surprising turn of events, the Lightning bench boss was very complimentary of the Maple Leafs and has a viewpoint not necessarily shared amongst the media in Toronto. The Atlantic Division has boasted the better teams within the Eastern Conference over the last several years and with the new playoff format, it's truly a dog fight just to get out of the first round if and when you have to play the likes of Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto, or Florida.

With Craig Berube at the helm, a core that still includes Auston Matthews and William Nylander, and a general manager that is looking to make big changes this summer, the Maple Leafs are certainly still one of the better teams in the Eastern Conference.

"I think in what i've seen of the Leafs, everything's been pushing in the right direction, they have a heck of a core, now they got a new coach so let's see what happens, but like I said playoffs are all about going on a run and one of these years they're gonna go on a run, it's just what year is it gonna be."

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Well you know its a good hire when the Leafs direct competition don't like it. :wg:

Jon Cooper shares strong prediction about the Toronto Maple Leafs

Perhaps in a rather surprising turn of events, the Lightning bench boss was very complimentary of the Maple Leafs and has a viewpoint not necessarily shared amongst the media in Toronto. The Atlantic Division has boasted the better teams within the Eastern Conference over the last several years and with the new playoff format, it's truly a dog fight just to get out of the first round if and when you have to play the likes of Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto, or Florida.

With Craig Berube at the helm, a core that still includes Auston Matthews and William Nylander, and a general manager that is looking to make big changes this summer, the Maple Leafs are certainly still one of the better teams in the Eastern Conference.

Not gonna lie, but I feel like other teams in the Leafs division just mess with Leaf fans because I feel like every year Cooper and Marchand say this. It's possible that they mean it but it feels like they say this every year and I'm just like when will this become true finally.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not gonna lie, but I feel like other teams in the Leafs division just mess with Leaf fans because I feel like every year Cooper and Marchand say this. It's possible that they mean it but it feels like they say this every year and I'm just like when will this become true finally.
Why would other teams want us to change anything?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
"The whole country will be backing the Oilers as Canada's team as we haven't won a Cup since 1993" - Wayne Gretzky

Do you guys agree with this ? I'm the type that only will cheer on the Leafs bringing the cup back. If Edmonton wins I'd be kind of happy for McDavid and Drai but I wouldn't be too thrilled overall. Definitely rooting for the Panthers to keep the dream alive.

No Canadian fan base should ever be happy. Florida in 4.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
"The whole country will be backing the Oilers as Canada's team as we haven't won a Cup since 1993" - Wayne Gretzky

Do you guys agree with this ? I'm the type that only will cheer on the Leafs bringing the cup back. If Edmonton wins I'd be kind of happy for McDavid and Drai but I wouldn't be too thrilled overall. Definitely rooting for the Panthers to keep the dream alive.
Yeah this is horseshit lol. There's no way Canucks and Flames fans are rooting for Edmonton either. With Toronto that's at least 3 fanbases that don't support that

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Cassidy used Gretzky as an example when talking about Marner's elusiveness a few years ago too in the playoffs. That's the secret. Compliment the hell out of these guys so their heads don't fit in their helmets anymore.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Wonder if you realize the 104 point Oilers finished ahead of the 102 point Maple Leafs on the regular season?

View attachment 879323

And what mess? You post images and stats like they mean anything. King of no context.

We are talking about Ken Holland. You’re acting like the way the season turned out for the Oilers was intentional. It absolutely was not. The organization in the midst of their slump leaked to the media Holland will be resigning at the end of the year. They have went on a heater because their three best players have willed them to a Stanley Cup final. Nothing about the roster or what Holland has done screams executive of the year. There’s not a single person on earth that is buying your soap box speech about Ken Holland being a competent GM. He’s a lucky GM really.

Reactions: Metroid

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
And what mess? You post images and stats like they mean anything. King of no context.

We are talking about Ken Holland. You’re acting like the way the season turned out for the Oilers was intentional. It absolutely was not. The organization in the midst of their slump leaked to the media Holland will be resigning at the end of the year. They have went on a heater because their three best players have willed them to a Stanley Cup final. Nothing about the roster or what Holland has done screams executive of the year. There’s not a single person on earth that is buying your soap box speech about Ken Holland being a competent GM. He’s a lucky GM really.
Holland also betted or lucked out for having the right horses.
Do have to give credits on changing the coach and also getting Coffey. Through the Nucks series, the Nucks medias been stating how important Coffey was to the development of Bouchard. Maybe the Leafs should hire Kaberle and see if he can rubs off Reilly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Well Wayne Gretzky and I were born on the very same day in NHL history, so we are forever linked.

McDavid is local Ontario kid that grew up loving the Leafs and likely would someday like to come home.
&
Leon Draisaitl played for my home town Kelowna Rockets so I've been cheering him on since his junior days.
&
Zach Hyman was my favourite Maple Leaf player when he was here, and I'm thrilled for him and his success, just wish he was still here as Leafs need many more heart and soul players like him,
&
As a proud Canadian this is a easy choice for me to throw my support behind in this years Cup final.

That said I think Florida is going to win.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

They’re not threatened by the Leafs. That’s why they can pat them on the head as the team of the near future, but not now and tell them how talented and pretty they are. If the Leafs were truly threatening they’d clam up and be busy game planning and stressing out, or reach a kind of butt hurt acceptance.

• Haha
Reactions: BallardEra

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Holland also betted or lucked out for having the right horses.
Do have to give credits on changing the coach and also getting Coffey. Through the Nucks series, the Nucks medias been stating how important Coffey was to the development of Bouchard. Maybe the Leafs should hire Kaberle and see if he can rubs off Reilly.

Don’t think you can teach Mo any new tricks after 11 years in this league.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
slap shot or at least shoot from the point?

Yeah I don’t think he’s taking slap shot workshops in the summer.

That said, Morgan and Tomas Kaberle have one random thing in common. Both guys play defense with very short sticks, which I guess would impact their shot to some degree. Both are poor shots or shy shooters. Jake Gardiner was also a puck mover but had that long stick and the occasional blast.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah I don’t think he’s taking slap shot workshops in the summer.

That said, Morgan and Tomas Kaberle have one random thing in common. Both guys play defense with very short sticks, which I guess would impact their shot to some degree. Both are poor shots or shy shooters. Jake Gardiner was also a puck mover but had that long stick and the occasional blast.
Jake was blasting away toward the end of his tenure here. It seemed like he picked up the slap shot over summer.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They’re not threatened by the Leafs. That’s why they can pat them on the head as the team of the near future, but not now and tell them how talented and pretty they are. If the Leafs were truly threatening they’d clam up and be busy game planning and stressing out, or reach a kind of butt hurt acceptance.
Things are changing in Toronto..

This years Maple Leafs lead the 1st round of the playoffs in hits and that was only the start of what I expect was a preview of what is to come under coach Berube as I expect this new Leafs will take on the identity of their coach. For the record here, in a little over 1000 NHL games played Berube recorded 3,149 Pims.

Leafs were mocked in the past as nobody feared the figure skating team that Leafs brought to the playoffs, as we watched our star centre get ragdolled and just laughed it off.

Leafs used to be bringing a knife to a gun fight in the playoffs, and next time they will be bringing a bazooka. :wg:

• Haha
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I am shock that some of you are still holding words of praises from guys like Cooper. He was the one that told Keefe he respected him and the Leafs in the handshake line.

• Haha
Reactions: TMLegend

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Don’t think you can teach Mo any new tricks after 11 years in this league.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mo Riells was one of the players Treliving would look at trading away and bringing back a bigger more physical top 4 replacement.

To this day I will never understand the thought process of the 2012 entry draft when we had Brian Burke as GM and all his bluster about .. “We require, as a team, proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That's how our teams play.”

Then when it came to the draft the Leafs took the small soft Morgan Rielly with the 5th overall pick and big 6-3 & 210 Jacob Trouba a big tough American was sitting right there, who I would have bet Burke would have taken in a heartbeat. :dunno::shakehead

1717465830882.png

As we all know now Trouba is the captain of the President's trophy NYR.

Last edited:
Reactions: horner

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I am shock that some of you are still holding words of praises from guys like Cooper. He was the one that told Keefe he respected him and the Leafs in the handshake line.
BUT, Cooper didn't say that it was a Keefe original .........

Brutal times once again for the Leafs and their fans.

After the loss Toronto coach Sheldon Keefe had a really lame take on his team and the handshake line, saying:

“We got a lot of respect in that (handshake) line from that team, which is nice to see. It was a much different tone and much different feeling of respect from the other side from what we’ve experienced previously. We’re certainly earning respect in the league but, again, we’re not in the respect game. We’re in the winning game.”

Seriously, he said that:

That will defiantly go down is Leafs infamy as one of the lamest things a coach has ever said after losing in the playoffs again and Leaf nation got mocked for it.

• Haha
Reactions: Jmo89 and TMLegend

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Imagine looking at a spreadsheet and Power BI and thinking Hyman should be let go.

I honestly cannot believe how many wrong decisions were made in such a short period of time. It seems like it was almost on purpose.

Shanahan hates the Leafs and used to work for the League. Your assessment isn't far off.

Reactions: Al14

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't be surprised if Mo Riells was one of the players Treliving would look at trading away and bringing back a bigger more physical top 4 replacement.

To this day I will never understand the thought process of the 2012 entry draft when we had Brian Burke as GM and all his bluster about .. “We require, as a team, proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That's how our teams play.”

Then when it came to the draft the Leafs took the small soft Morgan Rielly with the 5th overall pick and big 6-3 & 210 Jacob Trouba a big tough American was sitting right there, who I would have bet Burke would have taken in a heartbeat. :dunno::shakehead

View attachment 879347

32 Thoughts was chatting about Trouba today, talking about what a presence he is and speculating about a Trouba subtraction from New York.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
BUT, Cooper didn't say that it was a Keefe original .........

Brutal times once again for the Leafs and their fans.

After the loss Toronto coach Sheldon Keefe had a really lame take on his team and the handshake line, saying:

“We got a lot of respect in that (handshake) line from that team, which is nice to see. It was a much different tone and much different feeling of respect from the other side from what we’ve experienced previously. We’re certainly earning respect in the league but, again, we’re not in the respect game. We’re in the winning game.”

Seriously, he said that:

That will defiantly go down is Leafs infamy as one of the lamest things a coach has ever said after losing in the playoffs again and Leaf nation got mocked for it.
Pretty sure players even Kuch won’t say he respect the Leafs in the handshake line. Leaning toward Cooper telling Keefe, he did great and he respected Keefe and the Leafs efforts

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

View attachment 879347

Trouba is actually not that smart defensively and also wanted to play in an American market

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad