Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
oilers often look like it’s impossible for them to generate enough to win if mcdrai don’t get a point in the game. lately their depth has stepped up but I wonder what happens if the panthers can keep mcdrai off the score sheet for a few games. is it a guaranteed lost game for edmonton?

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
oilers often look like it’s impossible for them to generate enough to win if mcdrai don’t get a point in the game. lately their depth has stepped up but I wonder what happens if the panthers can keep mcdrai off the score sheet for a few games. is it a guaranteed lost game for edmonton?
If McDrai are held off the scoresheet in any game the Oilers will get absolutely blown out of the building in said game by Florida.

The thing is...that won't happen. Those guys are far too good. They cannot be stopped so your only hope is to minimize the damage. These two, several times, have won playoff series almost entirely by themselves and they can do it again. Will they? Don't know.

Reactions: ruaware41

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Def want Florida to win.
Coiler fans already going back to 2020 posts and being insufferable... Plus I have my season seat connection to the Panthers where they send me a ring for bailing their team out! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Teams just don't lose two finals in a row in modern NHL. The last time it happened was 1970 when the Blues lost 3 straight finals in a row.
small sample size of 1 though
If McDrai are held off the scoresheet in any game the Oilers will get absolutely blown out of the building in said game by Florida.

The thing is...that won't happen. Those guys are far too good. They cannot be stopped so your only hope is to minimize the damage. These two, several times, have won playoff series almost entirely by themselves and they can do it again. Will they? Don't know.
in 18 games McDavid has been pointless in 4 and Leon in 2. There’s only been 1 game where both were pointless and the Oilers got a measly one goal. The difference between our stars and theirs is theirs show up in the playoffs but I don’t buy that they are an amazingly constructed team with phenomenal management by Holland. The fans have tons of very valid criticisms of Holland things kind of just fell in place.

It wouldn’t unfeasible for McDrai to carry them to a cup but florida is a proper deep team. It just feels like this much reliance on 2 players to generate offence to go all the way would make it seem like it’s a basketball game not a hockey game. I really think if the depth does a disappearing act in the finals McDrai won’t be enough with how deep florida is

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
A tale of 2 different Oilers teams ..

1) With McDavid and Draisaitl in GREEN
&
2) With McDavid and Draisail & Hyman in YELLOW

View attachment 879143

Perhaps its not always only the about the Star players ... Maybe its the quality of the Support players particularly those that stir the drink.

Oilers despite their stars were a floundering mess come playoff time as they only won 1 single playoff round in 6 playoff years. Sound familiar?

Zach Hyman has recorded in 46 playoff games with Edmonton and has scored 28 playoff goals as they have won 6 playoffs rounds and looking for 7 to hoist the Cup.

View attachment 879148

Zach Hyman was my favourte player as a Leaf, so its easy to cheer for him and appreciate how his hard work and tireless effort has paid off now that he has been set free.

However the real reason for Oilers success was when they hired themselves a competent GM and President.

View attachment 879151

LOLOL keep slobbing all over the oilers. 99.9% of their fanbase was ready to fire Holland into the sun! The Oilers management leaked that Holland was basically being forced to resign after this season. All of a sudden he’s competent?!

The oilers are on a massive heater. Don’t think it has anything to do with Holland, has everything to do with 29, 18 and 97 being absolute rockstars

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
small sample size of 1 though

in 18 games McDavid has been pointless in 4 and Leon in 2. There’s only been 1 game where both were pointless and the Oilers got a measly one goal. The difference between our stars and theirs is theirs show up in the playoffs but I don’t buy that they are an amazingly constructed team with phenomenal management by Holland. The fans have tons of very valid criticisms of Holland things kind of just fell in place.

It wouldn’t unfeasible for McDrai to carry them to a cup but florida is a proper deep team. It just feels like this much reliance on 2 players to generate offence to go all the way would make it seem like it’s a basketball game not a hockey game. I really think if the depth does a disappearing act in the finals McDrai won’t be enough with how deep florida is

Good post.

The Oilers stars can certainly do some damage, but Florida is built from top to bottom. They also have a veteran coach behind the bench. The team is stacked at every area.

Reactions: ruaware41

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Tampa made it to the finals 3x years in a row in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

Pittsburgh also went to the finals 2x in a row in 2016 and 2017.

Detroit made it to the finals 2x years in a row in 2008 and 2009.

Boston made it to the finals 3 years in separate seasons in 2011, 2013 and 2019.

LA made it to the finals twice in 2012 and 2014 skipping 2013.

Chicago made it to the finals 3 years in separate seasons in 2010, 2013 and 2015, skipping 2014.

So championship caliber teams tend to make the finals on a repeat basis over a number of years clustered together and I think we’re seeing that with Florida now.

The original post says teams rarely lost in the final in consecutive years. The condition in question should be a cup runner-up in the first of the two years the team makes it to the final. So I only count the consecutive finalist who lost in the first year, not repeated winners.

Tampa won in 2020 and 2021. Pitts won in 2016 and 2017. Detroit won in 2008 and lost in 2009, LA won in 2012 and 2014, Boston won in 2011 and lost in 2013 and 2019, Chicago won in 2010, 2013, and 2015. None of the examples you mentioned is a case where losing the final helps the team win the next time around. (You can count Tampa Bay losing in the 2015 final but that's 5 years earlier and not close to being the same team).

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He only had the one bad year of 2019-20 for injury. He played 51 games. Besides that, he has been very durable.
Very similar to Kurri with McDavid.
Very Likable player.
Hyman still has 3-4 good years in him. He could be well over 300 goals in career when done
He lost about 20% of his final 3 seasons here compared to GP.

Lost a month for his ankle sprain in 18-19
Lost 6 months for the ACL surgery after 2019. Probably should have missed that playoffs.
Lost a month for the knee injury after Elders hit in 2021, came back for playoffs and didn't look great.

So 3 separate month long injuries in 3 seasons including a major surgery

Ps who has their team win a conference finals then immediately comes to another teams board.

Reactions: Jmo89 and ruaware41

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
The original post says teams rarely lost in the final in consecutive years. The condition in question should be a cup runner-up in the first of the two years the team makes it to the final. So I only count the consecutive finalist who lost in the first year, not repeated winners.

Tampa won in 2020 and 2021. Pitts won in 2016 and 2017. Detroit won in 2008 and lost in 2009, LA won in 2012 and 2014, Boston won in 2011 and lost in 2013 and 2019, Chicago won in 2010, 2013, and 2015. None of the examples you mentioned is a case where losing the final helps the team win the next time around. (You can count Tampa Bay losing in the 2015 final but that's 5 years earlier and not close to being the same team).
Pittsburgh lost in 08 and won in 09.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Losers probably?

I don’t think a “loser” mentality so much as the NHL at its heart is not a real league populated by true fanbases and teams so much as a bunch of window dressing teams revolving around a soap opera called the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Reactions: torontoblood

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Losing Hyman at the time was one of those risk assessment coin flips but his progression in Edmonton has been off the charts unusual. But then again, the previous regime was often not insightful about anything when it came to having deep knowledge on a player and making a great decision.

Dubas is an idiot because he thought the core 4 could get it done regardless of what he surrounds them with as long as he could fit the other pieces under the cap...he just needed to do some sprinkles around the margin...magical, right? :sarcasm:

... And these are the days of our lives

That's a bold and beautiful statement...:sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
LOLOL keep slobbing all over the oilers. 99.9% of their fanbase was ready to fire Holland into the sun! The Oilers management leaked that Holland was basically being forced to resign after this season. All of a sudden he’s competent?!

The oilers are on a massive heater. Don’t think it has anything to do with Holland, has everything to do with 29, 18 and 97 being absolute rockstars
Wonder if you realize the 104 point Oilers finished ahead of the 102 point Maple Leafs on the regular season?

1717459599284.png

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leafsnet with more rumors and rumblings. Clickbait nation bb. Love my Bell Rogers Tananbaumaple Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad