Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
The issue is that a lot of people assume that a Marner trade is a magic solution. Have you seen the packages being thrown around?

Frankly, it's a bit stupid to vaguely talk about a Marner trade without any proposal of what the team will look like

During the same time, the Oilers got their asses busted by similarly awful teams. I think they got swept.
You can't run a team if you are afraid to try something new.

We 100% know the existing core doesn't win. They've been here from 6 to 8 years, everything else has changed around them, and they've failed every time.

What exactly are we clinging on to by keeping the status quo? Nothing. What have they accomplished as a team? Nothing. Why are they so dear to anyone? They have brought us no team success yet they demand the world in return.

By trying something new you are trying a new formula. If the existing thing doesn't work you try to fix it. We need to stop letting these lemmings lead us off the same cliff year after year.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah I'm convinced that we'd lose to the Senators in 7 games in this day and age too.

We're the Sharks of this era but with even less playoff success somehow. The culture built a core that is so maladaptive to playoff hockey that 5 playoff wins is probably its ceiling.
Thornton and Marleau

Matthews and marner

Sharks lost in finals one year, lost in 3rd. year another.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

We 100% know the existing core doesn't win. They've been here from 6 to 8 years, everything else has changed around them, and they've failed every time.

What exactly are we clinging on to by keeping the status quo? Nothing. What have they accomplished as a team? Nothing. Why are they so dear to anyone? They have brought us no team success yet they demand the world in return.

By trying something new you are trying a new formula. If the existing thing doesn't work toy try to fix it. We need to stop letting these lemmings lead us off the same cliff year after year.
There’s nothing negative that could happen by trading Marner. The team and the NHL will still exist.

Will Bettman allow a Canadian team to win it all?! Is this another Canadian in the finals tease??
It’s bad for business to have a Canadian team in the finals, especially in a year MSPN/ABC has the rights.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The issue is that a lot of people assume that a Marner trade is a magic solution. Have you seen the packages being thrown around?

Frankly, it's a bit stupid to vaguely talk about a Marner trade without any proposal of what the team will look like

During the same time, the Oilers got their asses busted by similarly awful teams. I think they got swept.
I'm at the point where I would give marner away for free just to try something different.

Leafs will still make the playoffs without him, and I think they would have a better chance in the playoffs with who they bring in with that money. But thats just my opinion. Obviously the leafs could trade him and then use that cap space to sign a bunch of boat anchor contracts, but hoping they are smart with who they bring in with that 11m.

But personally, I am not interested one bit in seeing another Leafs playoff series with Mitch Marner wearing a leafs jersey.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Thornton and Marleau

Matthews and marner

Sharks lost in finals one year, lost in 3rd. year another.
That's a generous comparison to our guys. While those Sharks team definitely have the choker label attached to them, they made it out of the first round more often than not.

1 SCF appearance, 4 WCF appearances, and 9 WCSF apperances from Thornton's arrival in 2005 to their final appearance in 2019. Those Sharks teams peaked higher in the regular season as well, winning the Presidents trophy once.

Our guys and their futility are in a league of their own.

Last edited:

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
It's fair to worry about the return in a Marner trade. I don't know what to ask for, we pay enough scouts and management that the collective need to simply do their job and scout prospects and roster players that have yet to break out

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
That's a generous comparison to our guys. While those Sharks team definitely have the choker label attached to them, they made it out of the first round more often than not.

1 SCF appearance, 4 WCF appearances, and 9 WCSF apperances from Thornton's arrival in 2005 to their final appearance in 2019. Those Sharks teams peaked higher in the regular season as well, winning the Presidents trophy once.

Our guys and their futility is in a league of it's own.
I have said this in another thread, the more accurate historical comparsion should be Marcel Dionne. Dionne only made out of the first round 3 times and never reached the 3rd round in his career.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Replace with new age Gary Roberts or Darcy Tucker and yes.

Like who?

By trying something new you are trying a new formula. If the existing thing doesn't work toy try to fix it. We need to stop letting these lemmings lead us off the same cliff year after year.

I don't think the core is fully responsible for the failures. They carry some blame. But this team, even after repeated failures, wouldn't even move off guys like Kerfoot and Holl. They noticed a downturn in Muzzin and decided it was best to keep him etc etc. By 2020, Dubas had established his supporting cast and refused to make any changes even to them.

Has this team shown any sort of aggression in terms of adding. People always use Las Vegas as an example of a well run team. Guess what Vegas would have done. Not trade the core guys. They would have aggressively added and would have been cutthroat with supporting guys.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I really don't think there is any issue with marner. He just has a to have a coach that doesn't give him free reign.

He's likely being re-signed.

I'd be okay if they landed something equal to DeMelo and Edmundson/equivalent along with serviceable 3rd. line center.

They have the talent, it just needs to be utilized by a skilled coach who makes all the decisions without regard to pouting or entourage.

This of course requires the utilization of ELSC players and leadership on the ice to guide them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What can we even say about this? I mean you just post it and throw your hands in the air. Maybe look at the Leafs management and shake your head.
The word "Depth" (as in lack of supporting cast) always comes up in regards to the Leafs Cap heavy spending on Leafs Core 4 forwards.

This is what is meant by production from depth (secondary scoring) behind your stars and good Cap $$ management..

Oilers are the perfect example.

1717252210921.png

Their core 4 forwards account for $31.625 mil combined.

1717252569741.png

They've combined for 33 goals 60 assists 93 points in 17 games (in 3rd round).

Our Leafs Core 4 consume $40.5 mil combined cap and produced 6 goals 5 assists 11 points.

1717253580126.png

For the single price of a Tavares or Marner @ $11 mil the Leafs could deploy 2 X players like RNH and Hyman for less cap space.

Some Leaf fans after seeing Matthews get $13.25 mil and Nylander $11.25 mil new contracts how could keeping Leafs core 4 together with a pending Marner raise be the direction they would prefer, believing it brings the Leafs playoff success?
Shaking ones head and throwing their hands in the air the only way to surrender to this.
:surrender

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Sharks won their Division four times with Marleau and Thornton. A far cry from these Leafs and their one fake Canadian Division regular season title.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I dont want to give them viewership under the best of circumstances, if a Canadian team is in we can avoid them.
Yes but what did they do to make you want to boycott them? Genuinely curious as I never pay any attention to stuff like this.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

The Sharks usually had amazing depth, their star players didn't rob their organization for every penny they could and they actually always had deep groups with strong defensive cores.

But when it came time for Thornton to show what he's made of, he always got his lunch taken by guys like Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, etc...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes but what did they do to make you want to boycott them? Genuinely curious as I never pay any attention to stuff like this.
They have some great people working there, but they also have employed some despicable people over the years.

Reactions: bax

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The word "Depth" (as in lack of supporting cast) always comes up in regards to the Leafs Cap heavy spending on Leafs Core 4 forwards.

This is what is meant by production from depth (secondary scoring) behind your stars and good Cap $$ management..

Oilers are the perfect example.

View attachment 878224

Their core 4 forwards account for $31.625 mil combined.

View attachment 878225

They've combined for 33 goals 60 assists 93 points in 17 games (in 3rd round).

Our Leafs Core 4 consume $40.5 mil combined cap and produced 6 goals 5 assists 11 points.

View attachment 878233

For the single price of a Tavares or Marner @ $11 mil the Leafs could deploy 2 X players like RNH and Hyman for less cap space.

Some Leaf fans after seeing Matthews get $13.25 mil and Nylander $11.25 mil new contracts how could keeping Leafs core 4 together with a pending Marner raise be the direction they would prefer, believing it brings the Leafs playoff success?
Shaking ones head and throwing their hands in the air the only way to surrender to this.
:surrender

Ehh the Oilers aren’t that great at cap management. The Nurse deal is going to hurt them big time when they need to re-up Draisaitl and Bouchard.

Campbell was an awful signing.

Don’t forgot Drai is in the 7th year of his 8 year contract

Reactions: 3blizzard4

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Sharks won their Division four times with Marleau and Thornton. A far cry from these Leafs and their one fake Canadian Division regular season title.

It's actually sad how bad our overall results have been when you put in the context that we were supposed to win championships.

We haven't even won the Atlantic division even once during this era (while BOS, FLA, TB all have).
We haven't even had one run to a ECF or even a high contested second round.

We had everything going at the start, young stars, capspace, draft picks.

Anyone remember this picture?

Screenshot (1444).png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad