Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Tampa's a point ahead of us for 3rd in the division. Detroit is a point behind us but still have a game remaining vs Ottawa before the all star game. We probably will be in the second WC but will have 3 games in hand.
Point % is what matters. Nobody can kick us out of 3rd in the division before the break.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It will be Leafs vs Boston or Leafs vs Florida in the 1st round of the playoffs.
As of now, it's certainly looking that way. I don't think there is any reason the Leafs can't beat both of those teams so long as they get decent goaltending. All three of those teams will also likely make upgrades at the deadline.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Karlsson is a boring asset so I never looked into what Pens gave up for him until today. Leaf game switched to pens/habs OT so I became curious.

I was bit shocked to see a 1st round pick involved. Pens are very old with little chance to win a cup.

If they sell this season, they have to let Sharks take the top 10 pick in 2024. They will finish even lower in 2025 so can't let the pick slide.

Twist of events Sharks will be ahead of the Penguins next season if they draft twice in top 10 this season. Penguins will be starting from scratch as crosby malkin approach 40 year old.

Pens might not be relevant again until 2030 and beyond. The rebuild should have started this season and stay away from karlsson

I'd imagine Pens ownership wanted the team to try and be as competitive as possible while Crosby is still able to play at a star player level

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Tampa is 13-5 in their last 18

They have appeared to have figured it out. Will be a battle for third in the Atlantic, though I kind of prefer to go through the Metro this year

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

They have appeared to have figured it out. Will be a battle for third in the Atlantic, though I kind of prefer to go through the Metro this year
Look at the teams they have beaten in that stretch. They beat bad teams and lose to good/decent teams. They just don't have depth in their lineup anymore, which is completely understandable.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I agree with the bulk of this post, just gonna say I think Tampa has hit a soft part of their schedule more than anything.

5 losses: BOS, FLA, NYR, WPG, DET
All most all of the good teams

13 wins: STL, WSH, MTL, MIN x2, LAK, NJD x2, ANA, BUF, PHI, ARI, VGK
Not many good teams in there

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Difference between Leafs and Bruins is that Bruins are good both at home and the road. Leafs are just above 500 at home. Panthers are also equally good at home and on the road but not as good as Boston.

Tampa is less than 500 on the road.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Difference between Leafs and Bruins is that Bruins are good both at home and the road. Leafs are just above 500 at home. Panthers are also equally good at home and on the road but not as good as Boston.

Tampa is less than 500 on the road.
Vasi is back in game shape and looks like he’s found his game. As we know, he cost them a round last year and if he’s legit and stays healthy that’s a big boost to their chances. Although, I’d like to see them find a way to add some more toughness if they’re going to compete against Florida.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Look at the teams they have beaten in that stretch. They beat bad teams and lose to good/decent teams. They just don't have depth in their lineup anymore, which is completely understandable.
I know the league will never ever consider it, $$$$$$$$, but an 8 team playoff would be so much better. Shorter and far more compelling.

Do the good/ mediocre middle teams like Nashville, LA, Tampa, Detroit,Toronto, Philly, Winnipeg deserve a shot? I don’t care about watching Cinderella stories that we’ve seen in the past.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg

Theyre taking advantage of their schedule. Not going to change much. Leafs have the 5th hardest remaining schedule. Tampa has the 21st.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Vasi is back in game shape and looks like he’s found his game.
He has been consistently average since he came back from injury. Look at his numbers over the last 10 games. Barely a .900 save percentage. I understand his reputation, but I think people have to come to grips with the fact that he isn't that goalie anymore, and he hasn't been for at least a couple of years now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He has been consistently average since he came back from injury. Look at his numbers over the last 10 games. Barely a .900 save percentage. I understand his reputation, but I think people have to come to grips with the fact that he isn't that goalie anymore, and he hasn't been for at least a couple of years now.
small sample. He had some bad starts when he first cam back but seems to righting the ship. If he does they have a chance.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
small sample. He had some bad starts when he first cam back but seems to righting the ship. If he does they have a chance.
Look at the numbers from his last 10 games. They aren't great. Tampa is winning because they score a ton of goals against weak opponents.

Reactions: Jojalu

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Kings really need to get their shit together. They should be so much better than they've been.
Could be the old guard and new guard aren't on the same page, or a combination of that, goaltending and coaching. PLD trade and extension is turning out to be the big mistake many believed it would become.
Worst part is we had many fans clamoring to acquire that loser which i found absurd. Apparently they're the ones that don't watch other teams.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Formenton officially at the London police station. I mean, no surprise, but at least we know.
It's interesting that he was basically ex-communicated from the NHL. Makes it very hard to believe that teams, and therefore the league, didn't have more info on what happened than we have been led to believe.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
It's interesting that he was basically ex-communicated from the NHL. Makes it very hard to believe that teams, and therefore the league, didn't have more info on what happened than we have been led to believe.
Yes, it is interesting. Especially when you consider he's likely the best skater of the group. Not that it should matter, but we all know it does.

A good Devils team kept a 4th liner in McLeod and a organizational depth player in Foote (Benoit/Lagesson level). While a garbage Sens team completely cut ties with a probably top 6 and certainly top 9 winger.

Could be nothing, but like you said, interesting..

Reactions: HolyCrap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad