Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's interesting that he was basically ex-communicated from the NHL. Makes it very hard to believe that teams, and therefore the league, didn't have more info on what happened than we have been led to believe.
don't kid yourself, they knew............

Perhaps it is getting better at getting help for those who have suffered in silence?

I've wondered if SAD affects on-ice performance of some players?
he's a Finn for Christ's sake, they don't need no stinking sunlight............

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yes, it is interesting. Especially when you consider he's likely the best skater of the group. Not that it should matter, but we all know it does.

A good Devils team kept a 4th liner in McLeod and a organizational depth player in Foote (Benoit/Lagesson level). While a garbage Sens team completely cut ties with a probably top 6 and certainly top 9 winger.

Could be nothing, but like you said, interesting..
Very hard to believe that something other than hockey and money went into Ottawa's decision. Even moreseo that not a single other NHL would trade for him when it was clear he wasn't going back to Ottawa. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but...

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Agreed. I don't think the Bruins make it out of first or second round again this season.

I think they'll be an easier matchup, but they might surprise this playoffs.

No one is expecting much, plus as McAvoy put it prior to this season, they can show this is their Bruins iteration now.

I would prefer Bruins to Panthers, but it's far from an easy matchup. Especially if they manage to get at least 2C at the deadline.

Reactions: BallardEra

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

No one is expecting much, plus as McAvoy put it prior to this season, they can show this is their Bruins iteration now.

I would prefer Bruins to Panthers, but it's far from an easy matchup. Especially if they manage to get at least 2C at the deadline.
Neither of them will be an easy match-up. But no one ever won a Cup by going through easy match-ups.

Reactions: uncleben and Arzak

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Boston and TB will add a little grit and bulk up for the playoffs.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I can interpret this as a postiive thing [amount of players entering the program]. I highly doubt there were less cases of players going through personal struggles in the past - more so that players are willing to get help with it.
Yup. The stigma that's being broken down about having mental health issues, along with the availability of resources to help battle such these days, makes it much easier for people to come out and get the help they need than suppressing it.

I do question though if a lot of this stems from and is triggered by the pressures of being a professional athlete. These guys have been scrutinized since they were basically little kids, and I imagine the amount of pressure can get to a lot of people -- fans turning on you, your coaches getting on your case, being traded, the media dragging your name through the mud, etc. Compound that with whatever they may be dealing outside of the rink (ie. Laine and the death of his father). Would not surprise me in the least if this is a prevalent issue amongst a lot of players, and they are finally recognizing it's okay to come forth with the emotions and struggles they are dealing with.

I realized a while ago that all the money in the world means nothing if you yourself is in a good spot mentally. They may be millionaires, but they are people with feelings too and not just these impenetrable robots we may view them as.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yup. The stigma that's being broken down about having mental health issues, along with the availability of resources to help battle such these days, makes it much easier for people to come out and get the help they need than suppressing it.

I do question though if a lot of this stems from and is triggered by the pressures of being a professional athlete. These guys have been scrutinized since they were basically little kids, and I imagine the amount of pressure can get to a lot of people -- fans turning on you, your coaches getting on your case, being traded, the media dragging your name through the mud, etc. Compound that with whatever they may be dealing outside of the rink (ie. Laine and the death of his father). Would not surprise me in the least if this is a prevalent issue amongst a lot of players, and they are finally recognizing it's okay to come forth with the emotions and struggles they are dealing with.

I realized a while ago that all the money in the world means nothing if you yourself is in a good spot mentally. They may be millionaires, but they are people with feelings too and not just these impenetrable robots we may view them as.
In the past, people dealt with these issues with substance abuse, and many still do. With further acceptance and more publicity for help, there are now answers beyond substance abuse for people, and players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad