Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's traded so many of the things that could have been used to bring in a guy like this, for non-difference makers like PLD, Fiala and Gavrikov in Bluc's futile attempt to win with 11 and 8.

I just can't see anything other than Clarke that works out value and cap wise (and I don't think anyone wants Clarke gone), the Kings are just to gutted of youth to win a battle with other teams for his services.

Why would you want a young potentially franchise goalie and defenseman when you could have a much maligned enigmatic center/lw on his 4th team by his mid 20s or an empty-calories PPG winger who is just Andreas Athanasiou when the playoffs hit

Askarov's value is difficult to gauge IMO. He's still a goalie, which adds a bit of a wild card to this.

I'm not really that high on him.

it's very true, opinions are all over the map on him

but he's one of those guys where if you believe, he's worth it, no one is gonna get him at a bargain value

Reactions: johnjm22

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Too bad we don’t have a real front office.
1724110418944.png

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
To LA: Ashkarov
To Nashville: hall of fame defenseman and hall of fame left winger
As long as they take there big 💪 Francophone friend with them. Don’t want that guy anywhere near the steering wheel when the dust settles.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Once upon a time the Kings were committed to Bernier as their future number 1. Then Quick came from the ECHL and stole Bernier's lunch money. Goalies are weird, you never know and it's good to have options. Like others I doubt we have anything nashville wants that we'd be willing to give up though.

I totally remember this too. There was so much hype around Bernier, then he sort of imploded under the pressure, and lost his game for a while. The 3rd round pick in the 2005 draft stepped up and ran with it . Quick will have a seat in the HOF when he retires.

Reactions: 21Dog

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Laine is the exact type of player Montreal would acquire.

They never have any true direction or identity.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Firstly we are all just spitballing here… it’s highly unlikely we are in for Askarov but I will play.

I’m not against acquiring Askarov in a vacuum but I’d be very reluctant to pay out assets for him. Why? Because if they think he has ‘it’ I’m not certain they take the direction they have done so. I think they felt that Saros was their best chance to win, so pivoted and Nashville went aggressive. There is always a point at which a team needs to gamble and this is theirs. My question is why? Does this mean that there is something missing with Askarov? I’m not saying there is but it at least raises the question. It’s a big gamble where they have committed a lot of money too guys mostly past their prime and I think there is definitely doubts about Saros also… there was definitely a mixed view on here on his capabilities when he was though to be a possible TDL acquisition (and doubts about the value of getting any NM).

Our NM pipeline is fine so I’d stick with it. If we acquired Askarov, Slukynsky would have to be part of the deal as there’s little chance we’d sign him when he came out of college as he’d be blocked (assuming Askarov worked out).

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
22 years old, over 100 AHL games, experience in the second best league in the world as a teenager, elite skill level, a great goalie signed long-term blocking him.

Making peanuts again in Milwaukee in a contract year is just stupid, the Predators should have known this was coming when they went down this dumb path. He should have been traded at the deadline or at the draft.

Then why wait until mid-August to tell Nashville he doesn't want to play in the minors again?

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Our NM pipeline is fine so I’d stick with it. If we acquired Askarov, Slukynsky would have to be part of the deal as there’s little chance we’d sign him when he came out of college as he’d be blocked (assuming Askarov worked out).
as I see it... you'd have to have Askarov make the NHL roster or he'll just be as unhappy in LA as he is in Nashville.

So you're looking to move Rittich and have Askarov back up Kuemper.

Rittich and Nashville.... well let's just say I believe they wouldn't be a good match so Nashville is gonna need an Askarov replacement and if Rittich isn't a fit then Portillo is kind of the move.

Which means the Kings pipeline becomes
Kuemper
Askarov
Cople

Slukynsky/George

and now the Kings need to go get ANOTHER AHL goalie which maybe you could get in the trade for Rittich?

Then you have to account for the actual cost of acquiring Askarov because the goalie issues are all just shuffling pieces around to satisfy the surface issues.

So... what's the cost of acquiring one of the top goalie prospects in the world?

I have no idea but I suspect it's not nothing

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Guess the Oilers want to have the cap flexibility for an in season trade(s). Not really suprised by Holloway but figured they would match the Broberg offer.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
as I see it... you'd have to have Askarov make the NHL roster or he'll just be as unhappy in LA as he is in Nashville.

So you're looking to move Rittich and have Askarov back up Kuemper.

Rittich and Nashville.... well let's just say I believe they wouldn't be a good match so Nashville is gonna need an Askarov replacement and if Rittich isn't a fit then Portillo is kind of the move.

Which means the Kings pipeline becomes
Kuemper
Askarov
Cople

Slukynsky/George

and now the Kings need to go get ANOTHER AHL goalie which maybe you could get in the trade for Rittich?

Then you have to account for the actual cost of acquiring Askarov because the goalie issues are all just shuffling pieces around to satisfy the surface issues.

So... what's the cost of acquiring one of the top goalie prospects in the world?

I have no idea but I suspect it's not nothing
I agree with this, in terms of Rittich. However (to flesh out what I meant), as Yannetti said they had goalies that asked them not to be drafted because of Quick. If Askarov became an elite #1 then there’s a good chance, with Portillo and George also probably ahead of him, that Slukynsky would not sign after college.

He’d likely prefer a team with a weaker pipeline and a better age distribution (for him), so the Kings get better asset value moving him now (or in a year) than waiting until you know 100% he won’t sign because you’d get a relatively low value pick to trade negotiation rights at best. Thats me just spitballing, but why I’d include him in the deal (or another one).

For me, I like the pipeline and I’d stick.

Guess the Oilers want to have the cap flexibility for an in season trade(s). Not really suprised by Holloway but figured they would match the Broberg offer.

I agree with you on both, in terms of my expectations. It’ll sting a little but gives them more cap flexibility going forward.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Ship has sailed for Askarov. Gave up assets for PLD that could of been used in a trade and the pipeline for goalies is starting to be replenished.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Then why wait until mid-August to tell Nashville he doesn't want to play in the minors again?

My guess is that Nashville probably just recently informed him that the plan was to have him play in Milwaukee again this season.

I think that many times when it comes to these AHL decisions that fans overlook the financial aspect of it. Askarov's salary in the AHL is barely over 100k, while in the NHL it's $925k, and further with his ELC expiring next summer, proving himself as an NHL goaltender this season is going to be financially important for his second contract.

It's similar to Brandt Clarke, he was good enough to play in the NHL last year, he saw almost all of his comparable peers like Hughes, Faber, Sanderson etc. playing in the NHL and making nearly 7 figures, while he toiled in the AHL, a level he was to good for and was making less than an In-N-Out manager, it's not good for player morale to slow-cook and over extend these very high picks.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
My guess is that Nashville probably just recently informed him that the plan was to have him play in Milwaukee again this season.

I think that many times when it comes to these AHL decisions that fans overlook the financial aspect of it. Askarov's salary in the AHL is barely over 100k, while in the NHL it's $925k, and further with his ELC expiring next summer, proving himself as an NHL goaltender this season is going to be financially important for his second contract.

It's similar to Brandt Clarke, he was good enough to play in the NHL last year, he saw almost all of his comparable peers like Hughes, Faber, Sanderson etc. playing in the NHL and making nearly 7 figures, while he toiled in the AHL, a level he was to good for and was making less than an In-N-Out manager, it's not good for player morale to slow-cook and over extend these very high picks.

The Preds signed Wedgewood to a 2 year/1-way/$3m deal on July 1st. That's not a signing that's made if the team had plans on the young prospect playing on the team, after Saros gets the mega contract to remain #1. If it's that big a deal to your financial future, you need to hop on that much earlier than a month and a half later, when most of the cap space and roster spots around the league for a very limited position are taken up.

I don't know if you should be letting young unproven players dictate what you do any more than Cup winning vets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad