Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
McDavid didn't come out to take his picture with the trophy. The only player to win the MVP as a member of the runner up team not to do so. Five other winners on the losing team had the mental fortitude to accept and acknowledge the choice to name them MVP even in a heartbreaking moment. It's not a huge deal in the end, but it is glimpse into this guy's psyche.
I really don’t like McDavid but I don’t blame him. It absolutely should be meaningless to him given they lost.

I’ve seen dressing rooms after the runners up medals were given out. They all get left/binned… so my mates got the souvenirs :laugh:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I really don’t like McDavid but I don’t blame him. It absolutely should be meaningless to him given they lost.

I’ve seen dressing rooms after the runners up medals were given out. They all get left/binned… so my mates got the souvenirs :laugh:
I know I’m not McDavids biggest fan but this is why I don’t put him in that top tier and why I have called him a flat track bully. Sure 10 points in 7 SCF games is great but when you look at it it tends to be when conditions suit. He starts with three assists across three losing efforts . His 1+3 in G4 comes after the Oilers were in control at 3-1. He has a fantastic G5, with 3 points (2+1) and is pointless the rest of the way.

That said it’s the greatest desire to win that he has shown me so far and perhaps this gives him the platform to now move into that top tier. As I’ve said before, McDavid is the best player in the game today and I’ve never said otherwise. All I’m saying is he’s not in the same tear as Gretzky or Lemieux as some keep putting him. Not yet.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I know it’s kinda nice to shit on McDavid but he looked absolutely gassed. Imagine being the only player on your team worth a damn when you have leeches like Draisaitl and Hyman just praying for you to do something to make their careers easy earnings.

McDavid was barely even skating. Either injured or there was just not absolutely nothing left in the tank. Great player, and I’m not going to front, I do think he deserves the cup and I’m kinda disappointed a talent of this caliber wasn’t able to solidify his legacy. Hate him or love him it’s undeniable he’s one of the all time greats easily and it would have been good for hockey to fit the cup with that super rare caliber of player. I hate him with all my heart but I am in awe of the sheer skill he has and how he has the ability to make plugs around him like RNH even have 100 pt seasons

Reactions: chrapril

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
After watching the finals I am convinced McDavid's incredible ability to get into the zone every time rapidly and therefore set up immediately with minimal time lost is THE key to Edm's PP success.

While I am obviously not comparing, shouldn't Byfield be able to help the Kings improve in this area?
Would Clarke? (I haven't watched the Reign enough to know).

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I know he's now just a role player team hoping near the end of his career after being bought out from a large contract many years ago, but is this a bad stat? For a player in his position over the last 5 years.

I don't think Fox even got this outwordly emotional.

Read Florida was 69-0-3 this season when leading after 2 periods. I remember when the kings used to be like that.

You know who won't be like that forever from this year forward for the rest of time? The Panthers. You get your moment, then it fades. That's sports. And your moment usually ends before you expect it.

Drewiske as well.

Bjornfot played 1 game for the Pamthers, and 0 in the playoffs. We rip on Hovan for his Blake sucking, and then say Bjornfot is a Cup champion with the next breath. It's absurd.

So now the new standard for playoff mvp will be who scores the most, no matter what team? It's gonna be like the Norris trophy, most points wins it.

It's the 4th most points ever in a playoff tournament. On a team that everyone says has zero depth. That's not just most points wins.

Would I vote for a guy on the losing team? No. Can you make a case in exceptional contexts? Yes.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Tough ending for Oilers fans.

Despite the rise of Bouchard, they're still a vast and shallow sea. Lacking depth to the point they feel uncomfortable putting out anyone but McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Ekholm, and Bouchard when they need offense. Anyone else scoring was a bonus.

But it also shows how far behind the Kings are. Currently nobody who is a consistent threat to score, and the players needed to shut down offense are limited against the more youthful stars in the league.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
re hoven's lecture to us
i listened to him on nhl radio w boomer gorgon and unintentionally read his stuff since he came on the scene as a mouthpiece and even in the beginning the guy became a running joke- mostly due to his predictions and thoughts consistently being wrong. i dont follow him but he's becoming impossible to not be aware of his lack of real content and only regurgitating what he hears. my impression is that hoven is treated as a compliant lad by kings management and thesis, critical thinking and original thought in his writing is non existant.
for him to make exuses for the kings management obvious failures across many areas by lecturing us that: "winning is hard" and so on is nothing more than his usual commentary on the obvious. this time however his lecture is a direct insult to those of us on this board who have sat through and endured the decades of contant losing via the incompetent and even criminal management. hoven is nothing more than the lapdog of the present edition of incompetent kings management. anyone looking for intelligent, critical and unbiased writing about the team should look to jon rosen.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Watching last night made me remember how grateful I am that those Kings teams got the job done when they had their chance.

1000004869.gif

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I know I’m not McDavids biggest fan but this is why I don’t put him in that top tier and why I have called him a flat track bully. Sure 10 points in 7 SCF games is great but when you look at it it tends to be when conditions suit. He starts with three assists across three losing efforts . His 1+3 in G4 comes after the Oilers were in control at 3-1. He has a fantastic G5, with 3 points (2+1) and is pointless the rest of the way.

That said it’s the greatest desire to win that he has shown me so far and perhaps this gives him the platform to now move into that top tier. As I’ve said before, McDavid is the best player in the game today and I’ve never said otherwise. All I’m saying is he’s not in the same tear as Gretzky or Lemieux as some keep putting him. Not yet.
I loved Charles Barkleys take last night as the broadcast was slobbering all over him.

"You want to compare him to Jordan? He's gotta win a championship first"

I expected him to take over game 7 at some point but he was just exhausted, never could find that final gear. There was about 20 minutes last night I was rooting for him to do it but but no, played the final 4 minutes and turned the puck over 3 or 4 times.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Tough ending for Oilers fans.

Despite the rise of Bouchard, they're still a vast and shallow sea. Lacking depth to the point they feel uncomfortable putting out anyone but McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, Ekholm, and Bouchard when they need offense. Anyone else scoring was a bonus.

But it also shows how far behind the Kings are. Currently nobody who is a consistent threat to score, and the players needed to shut down offense are limited against the more youthful stars in the league.
They are in some pretty serious cap trouble now too

7 nhl forwards under contract , 5 d-men and 1 nhl goalie with a little of 10 mil cap space.They will need to buyout Campbell.
1719329848042.png

That will give them 13,933,333 of space , which still only gives them 1,548,148 per whole to fill and one has to assume that Holloway and Broberg are going to want pretty good raises

Reactions: King'sPawn

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I loved Charles Barkleys take last night as the broadcast was slobbering all over him.

I expected him to take over game 7 at some point but he was just exhausted, never could find that final gear. There was about 20 minutes last night I was rooting for him to do it but but no, played the final 4 minutes and turned the puck over 3 or 4 times.
b-b-b-but hoven said it's not easy to win

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Do people who are talking about Bobrovsky getting the Conn Smythe not get that it's the MVP for the entire playoffs? Here's his statline:

Games: 24
GAA: 2.32
Sv%: .906

Does that look like what a Conn Smythe winner would have? Here's Quick's line in 2012 when he won:

Games: 20
GAAL: 1.41
Sv%: .946

McDavid almost broke the all-time playoff points record and you think he shouldn't have won because the other teams goalie had one great game in the Finals and one or two other good ones? The childish hate for McDavid can be ridiculous.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
That will give them 13,933,333 of space , which still only gives them 1,548,148 per whole to fill and one has to assume that Holloway and Broberg are going to want pretty good raises
The series kind of shifted when Broberg was inserted into the lineup, he was noticeable in the best way out there. Gave some much needed stability on the blue line. Holloway was also very good, as was Brown. A lot of bottom tier players stepped it up for them. I think Divesaitl's next big contract is going to sink that team and make it harder to have depth.

Knoblauch f***ed up and rode the top guys into the ground when he should have trusted the bottom guys, a very Koala-esque move. Also so f***ing glad Evander Kane doesn't get his name on the Cup...

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I don't hate McDavid, he's a special special player (don't like some of his antics though), with a legit chance at being a top 4...maybe 3 player all time. But he's not Gretzky, and comparisons to Gretzky have to stop. McDavid is faster, more skilled, etc, but nobody, NOBODY saw the game like Gretzky. And I don't want to hear about inflated points, what Gretzky was doing in relation to every other player in the league puts him on a tier of his own

And for all the talk about McDavid coming near Gretzky's playoff point record, Gretzky had those 47 points in 18 games, McDavid played 25 games this postseason

As for the Conn Smythe, it has absolutely nothing to do with McDavid, I'm just never going to be a fan of a player from the losing team winning.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica

McDavid isn't in the same league as Jordan until he stops Dan Marino'ing when he needs to Tom Brady.

Reactions: Maynard and bland

bland

Jul 1, 2004
L
Do people who are talking about Bobrovsky getting the Conn Smythe not get that it's the MVP for the entire playoffs? Here's his statline:

Games: 24
GAA: 2.32
Sv%: .906

Does that look like what a Conn Smythe winner would have? Here's Quick's line in 2012 when he won:

Games: 20
GAAL: 1.41
Sv%: .946

McDavid almost broke the all-time playoff points record and you think he shouldn't have won because the other teams goalie had one great game in the Finals and one or two other good ones? The childish hate for McDavid can be ridiculous.
Okay, but now do Bobrovsky's stats for the three series leading up to the Finals if you want to include the stat padding McDavid piled up against us. Who cares if his numbers took a pounding against Edmonton, they play a highly offensive style of game and will score more goals than almost anybody. You cannot base importance of winning on compiled numbers when the style of game changes from opponent to opponent.

I don't care if McDavid has 5 points in a 6-2 win, the win is what matters in the playoffs. Playing like you need to score multiple points every period isn't always beneficial to your team, and if you are going to ride or die on one guy, and you have to ride him into the ground, then maybe you are setting yourself up for continual disappointment.

Bobrovsky was every bit as good in games 1-3 as McDavid was in 4 and 5, and he was MUCH better in game 7. He was more valuable in the Finals and every bit as valuable, if not more so, in rounds 1-3.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The Oilers missed the window most likely. It's so hard to get there and when you come that close and come away with nothing is just devastating. I doubt they return. You have to win when you get that shot. I think of how many years it took after the McSorley stick incident for us to get back and when we did, we caught that wave and rode it all the way to the shore. EDM fell off about 3 feet short. May never see that wave again.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
McDavid isn't in the same league as Jordan until he stops Dan Marino'ing when he needs to Tom Brady.
And I would bet that he learns and adapts from this point forward. The big question is whether the pressure forces another Canadian almost-winner into caving in on themselves like most previous contenders. Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton in 06, Calgary before them. Ottawa in their run. They seem to have a fragility in them absent from other Cup losing teams.

Reactions: Statto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad