Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That makes a lot more sense
Johansen was acquired from the Avalanche as part of the Sean Walker trade before the trade deadline, and he was waived the following day for assignment to AHL Lehigh Valley. He informed the Flyers after the trade that he was dealing with a hip injury, which was subsequently confirmed by the team’s medical staff, resulting in his AHL assignment being reversed. The 31-year-old remained on the active roster for the rest of the season but did not play in a game.

Brière said that he didn’t ever envision Johansen suiting up for the Flyers after the trade, although that was before he had knowledge of the injury. It’s a long-term absence, as implied by Brière’s full statement today, which means the team can’t execute a buyout on the final season of his contract:

All I can tell you is I don’t expect him to be back. I don’t know, exactly, the situation. We’re dealing on the medical side with him. The thing for him is getting him back to be able to play at this time. He doesn’t think he can play hockey. I wish I had a better answer for you. We need to get him better to figure out if there’s even a remote chance of him dressing for the organization.

-----------------------------------

Was he faking the injury, so he wouldn't be bought out?

""

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I know they got a bundle of picks, but no 1st and only one 2nd really seem like a quantity for quality.

Tucking the offers right under the next compensation tier was a good move from STL.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I know they got a bundle of picks, but no 1st and only one 2nd really seem like a quantity for quality.

Tucking the offers right under the next compensation tier was a good move from STL.
It essentially turns into

Broberg, Ceci, Holloway, '25 3rd, '25 4th
FOR
Podkolzin, Emberson, Fischer, '25 2nd, '25 3rd, '28 3rd

Downgrade on players, but slight upgrade on picks and some cap relief

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ferris saying that there were multiple offersheets for Broberg.

Montreals PP is pretty good already and now they’ve added a lethal shot. Their team is looking solid

They have collected a ton of assets and have brought in a lot of youth, including some change of scenery types.

IMO, objectively because I hate the Habs, they should do whatever they can to land Askarov .. they have the assets to spend and not much competition in net

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They have collected a ton of assets and have brought in a lot of youth, including some change of scenery types.

IMO, objectively because I hate the Habs, they should do whatever they can to land Askarov .. they have the assets to spend and not much competition in net

That really should be a no-brainer for them. Lower of their or Calgary's 1st in 2025 and Pittsburgh's 3rd.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

They have arguably the best goalie prospect (Fowler) in hockey.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
RyJo wins faceoffs and can put up points, including in the playoffs.

I don't imagine that there will be a bidding war for the guy - could he be our answer as 3rd line C?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I don't imagine that there will be a bidding war for the guy - could he be our answer as 3rd line C?

Maybe read some prior posts to find out why the answer to your question is no.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Pretty sure he's hurt.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Maybe read some prior posts to find out why the answer to your question is no.

Thanks, you're a prince.

Your very helpful post talked about him being unable to suit up for Philly last year.

Did you come across a post indicating that he won't be able to dress next year as well?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Flyers are trying to terminate his contract. Does the NHL allow a team to terminate (or buyout) a contract of an injured player?
Nope. I think that's why the player is disputing it.

Reactions: uncleben

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Nope. I think that's why the player is disputing it.

So if Philly is convinced that he's not hurt, how can you be pretty sure that he is?

Let me put the question another way - assuming RyJo is good enough to play this season and ends up being bought out/terminated, would he be a good target to pursue to fill our #3 C position?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
So if Philly is convinced that he's not hurt, how can you be pretty sure that he is?

Let me put the question another way - assuming RyJo is good enough to play this season and ends up being bought out/terminated, would he be a good target to pursue to fill our #3 C position?
I'm not sure of anything, just going by what's been posted.

Depending on the cost, sure. He seems a bit flaky but I always liked him as a player.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Flyers are trying to terminate his contract. Does the NHL allow a team to terminate (or buyout) a contract of an injured player?
There are a lot of things a player could do that would allow the team to terminate their contract, injured or not.

I don't think we know yet what Philly is using as grounds to terminate, or how spicy it is.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
There are a lot of things a player could do that would allow the team to terminate their contract, injured or not.

I don't think we know yet what Philly is using as grounds to terminate, or how spicy it is.

Hmm, his agent just released a memo that he has a severe injury and is scheduled for surgery. Philly obviously thinks that is BS - he did play freely for Colorado before the trade and apparently Philly doctors cleared him.

So I think you're right - it's gonna get spicy.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Hmm, his agent just released a memo that he has a severe injury and is scheduled for surgery. Philly obviously thinks that is BS - he did play freely for Colorado before the trade and apparently Philly doctors cleared him.

So I think you're right - it's gonna get spicy.
Philly doctors agreed at the time he was hurt.

Johansen was acquired from the Avalanche as part of the Sean Walker trade before the trade deadline, and he was waived the following day for assignment to AHL Lehigh Valley. He informed the Flyers after the trade that he was dealing with a hip injury, which was subsequently confirmed by the team’s medical staff, resulting in his AHL assignment being reversed. The 31-year-old remained on the active roster for the rest of the season but did not play in a game.

Brière said that he didn’t ever envision Johansen suiting up for the Flyers after the trade, although that was before he had knowledge of the injury. It’s a long-term absence, as implied by Brière’s full statement today, which means the team can’t execute a buyout on the final season of his contract:

-----------------------------------

Was he faking the injury, so he wouldn't be bought out?

""

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad