Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-07-06-09-42-07~2.png

• Haha
Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
View attachment 892565Found this on my desk today, courtesy of Carter Verhaeghe's cousin.

RUDE.

this reminds me of the time I was going absolutely bonkers using all the colorful language in the dictionary for marchand and there was a woman giving me looks i didn't give a F.

Then this woman turned out to be marchand's aunt and our new manager LMAO :laugh:

I quit the job the following week LOL

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm genuinely surprised that Rogers doesn't currently charge me to have the ability to fast forward through commercials on my PVR. But I expect that fee will be coming soon.
Maybe after that they will allow us to fast forward to the playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kyle Dubas admits his biggest mistake in his time as Maple Leafs GM

1720879057792.png

In an excerpt from a book by The Athletic's Craig Custance, former Leafs GM Kyle Dubas has admitted his biggest mistake in Toronto.

Kyle Dubas had his supporters and detractors during his time in Toronto and many of his moves were criticized no matter the eventual outcome.
After being fired by Brendan Shanahan last off-season, Dubas joined the Pittsburgh Penguins and recently revealed his biggest mistake and regret when he was GM of the Leafs, and as . Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun pulled a quote, it wasn't the John Tavares contract, but the other aspects that surrounded it.

"The biggest mistake I think I've made in my whole time here has been not taking care of the three incumbent contracts," Dubas told Custance. "(William) Nylander was up, (Mitch) Marner and (Auston) Matthews could have been done on July 1 extensions. The thing I learned was once we signed John to the (AAV) we did, it lifted the lid on the entire team ceiling."

The quote was made in context to the seven-year, $77MM contract given to John Tavares on July 1st, 2018. Dubas exclaims that by giving Tavares an AAV of $11MM without first working on long-term extensions for William Nylander, Mitch Marner, and Auston Matthews, the price on the latter three was raised dramatically and caused both Nylander and Marner to hold out for a short time.
By lifting the ceiling, it seems Dubas is referencing the exuberant cost to eventually re-sign Matthews, Nylander and Marner after Tavares had signed. The problem with those deals isn't necessarily the value of them, but that they got unrestricted free agent money when they were only restricted free agents. Toronto dedicating over $41 million, roughly half of the salary cap, to four forwards proved to be a mistake, as the team has constantly struggled to put a good supporting cast around its superstars.

It's not rocket science and Leafs fans everywhere have said from the beginning that not getting the trio to at least sign for eight years was the worst thing he could've done. That brings us to this off-season with Marner and Tavares eligible for extensions and Matthews and Nylander having theirs kick in, leaving Brad Treliving with little wiggle room.

Could you imagine if Dubas had gotten Matthews and Marner well in advance of the Tavares deal? It may very well have saved the Leafs an extra $3-5M combined had Dubas gone after both players on 8-year deals prior to bringing Tavares in at his $11M.

This was always the biggest risk hiring an unqualified greenhorn GM that had no real understanding how contracts and internal team salaries work.. Anybody with 1/2 a brain would understand from the start that Tavares contract would act as magnet once signed and all other internal contracts would get drawn up to it. By signing JT first to $11 mil AAV he all but assured himself based on timing and signing the others AFTER that it would DESTROY the Leafs salary cap. Also forcing useless trades like a 1st to remove Marleau, upon signing JT because now you couldn't afford your own RFAs re-signing thereafter.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dubas admits f***ing up his most important task as GM coming into the role. Subsequently showing how poor he is as negotiating.

Real nice.

Lou not extending Nylander the summer beforehand hurt too, that could have helped establish some baselines.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kyle Dubas admits his biggest mistake in his time as Maple Leafs GM

In an excerpt from a book by The Athletic's Craig Custance, former Leafs GM Kyle Dubas has admitted his biggest mistake in Toronto.

Kyle Dubas had his supporters and detractors during his time in Toronto and many of his moves were criticized no matter the eventual outcome.
After being fired by Brendan Shanahan last off-season, Dubas joined the Pittsburgh Penguins and recently revealed his biggest mistake and regret when he was GM of the Leafs, and as The Sun's Lance Hornsby wrote, it wasn't the John Tavares contract, but the other aspects that surrounded it.

By lifting the ceiling, it seems Dubas is referencing the exuberant cost to eventually re-sign Matthews, Nylander and Marner after Tavares had signed.

It's not rocket science and Leafs fans everywhere have said from the beginning that not getting the trio to at least sign for eight years was the worst thing he could've done. That brings us to this off-season with Marner and Tavares eligible for extensions and Matthews and Nylander having theirs kick in, leaving Brad Treliving with little wiggle room.

Could you imagine if Dubas had gotten Matthews and Marner well in advance of the Tavares deal? It may very well have saved the Leafs an extra $3-5M combined had Dubas gone after both players on 8-year deals prior to bringing Tavares in at his $11M.

This was always the biggest risk hiring an unqualified greenhorn GM that had no real understanding how contracts and internal team salaries work.. Anybody with 1/2 a brain would understand from the start that Tavares contract would act as magnet once signed and all other internal contracts would get drawn up to it. By signing JT first to $11 mil AAV he all but assured himself based on timing and signing the others AFTER that it would DESTROY the Leafs salary cap. Also forcing useless trades like a 1st to remove Marleau, upon signing JT because now you couldn't afford your own RFAs re-signing thereafter.
This should put to bed the debate that the Tavares contract did not factor into the contracts for the 3 amigos. No wonder Kyle was voted best GM by player agents. Well done Kyle. We can and we will, my ass.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I mean it doesnt take a genius to figure this stuff out lol. As soon as they signed Tavares for 11m I thought, Matthews imo is already better or right at his level, whats stopping him from saying hey I contribute just as much as this guy, I should be paid what hes getting. And thats exactly what happened.

Most the times when teams are re-building, when their young core is up for contracts off their ELCs teams arent adding a massive FA ticket before hand.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Dubas admits f***ing up his most important task as GM coming into the role. Subsequently showing how poor he is as negotiating.

Real nice.

Lou not extending Nylander the summer beforehand hurt too, that could have helped establish some baselines.

I think Lou wanted to remain Leafs GM but since he wasn't offered the contract he was already looking at greener pastures LOL

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I think they should just stop lying to us and rename the Norris Trophy from "Best Defenseman in the NHL" to "Best OFFENSIVE Defenseman in the NHL", because since the days of Bourque, the Norris rarely goes to the best D-man in the NHL, but rather the one that scores the most points. Quinn Hughes is a forward masquerading as a D-man, but that description covers so many recent winners that the Norris has turned into a farce.
Couldn't agree more. Almost all of the trophies are for offense.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I mean it doesnt take a genius to figure this stuff out lol. As soon as they signed Tavares for 11m I thought, Matthews imo is already better or right at his level, whats stopping him from saying hey I contribute just as much as this guy, I should be paid what hes getting. And thats exactly what happened.

Most the times when teams are re-building, when their young core is up for contracts off their ELCs teams arent adding a massive FA ticket before hand.
Plenty of teams have, or have had a highest paid player that wasn't the best player.

Dallas is a prime example. Robertson, Hintz, and Heiskanen had clearly passed Seguin, by a lot, when they signed and they still took less than him, and Benn for that matter. I doubt Wyatt Johnson will be using Seguin to negotiate a 12+million deal since he's 3x the player either.

Im not saying it had no impact but they could have chose not to be greedy pricks and understood the difference between signing away a coveted UFA and signing a post ELC deal.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Low taxes and sunshine and beaches will always be a huge draw But I do hope that the way the bolts treated Stammer and Serg Makes at least a couple guys pause before giving them too good of a discount on a contract
No team is more cutthroat than Vegas and they don't seem to have a problem attracting players. I think because so many players want to go to these southern no-tax states, I don't think the few that don't want to give discounts are a major factor.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad