Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
While.id fully agree that it's MORE than just taxes when it comes to many players preferring the US over Canada, taxes are still a major element of it - and goes beyond income tax, young millionaires often have expensive lifestyles, avoiding high sales taxes helps keep more dollars in their bank accounts
I think a young millionaire is even more motivated to live in the US rather than Canada. We are going to see this worsen as time goes on, and it won't have anything to do with taxes. Young American athletes do not want to live in Canada, and I don't blame them.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think a young millionaire is even more motivated to live in the US rather than Canada. We are going to see this worsen as time goes on, and it won't have anything to do with taxes. Young American athletes do not want to live in Canada, and I don't blame them.

Eh, I think it probably depends on where they grew up in America as well as where they’d be playing in Canada.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Eh, I think it probably depends on where they grew up in America as well as where they’d be playing in Canada.
Agreed, all of those things would also play a role. Playing in Edmonton will be different than playing in Vancouver. But I think there is always going to be a preference for US-born athletes, in any sport, to be in the US, and I think it is unlikely that taxes ever play much of a role in that decision given that most major US states have a similar tax burden to major Canadian provinces.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Here is Trotz's quote:
"When you talk to Stamkos or Marchessault or players that are serial winners, guys that have gone deep, have had good careers, and made a lot of money, it doesn't go that far," Trotz said, via TSN. "But it does help the middle group a little bit. For the elite players, the top players, they're just looking for a place that's serious about winning, wants to win, fits in their window."

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I bet you find posters on this forum who deny it with voodoo tax shelters.

It's like players who live in states with no income tax wouldn't have tax accountants.
posted this before but this is how american players get around high tax burdens here. Having tax accountants in other states means nothing. it depends on the treaties with various countries and as it stands signing bonuses are very favourable from a taxation perspective for US players:

Here is Trotz's quote:
"When you talk to Stamkos or Marchessault or players that are serial winners, guys that have gone deep, have had good careers, and made a lot of money, it doesn't go that far," Trotz said, via TSN. "But it does help the middle group a little bit. For the elite players, the top players, they're just looking for a place that's serious about winning, wants to win, fits in their window."
yeah the media wont let this topic die theyll gas light us into oblivion about it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
posted this before but this is how american players get around high tax burdens here. Having tax accountants in other states means nothing. it depends on the treaties with various countries and as it stands signing bonuses are very favourable from a taxation perspective for US players:

yeah the media wont let this topic die theyll gas light us into oblivion about it.

Yeah, Tavares tried that "signing bonus" for artists approach and he is now fighting over an $8mm tax bill.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah, Tavares tried that "signing bonus" for artists approach and he is now fighting over an $8mm tax bill.
and he'll likely win. Tavares also happens to be canadian and not American. Its a lot harder to prove youve severed ties with Canada for tax purposes as a canadian than it is for an american to claim they are an american tax resident.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
and he'll likely win. Tavares also happens to be canadian and not American. Its a lot harder to prove youve severed ties with Canada for tax purposes as a canadian than it is for an american to claim they are an american tax resident.

When it comes to money our core win like the 80s Oilers and Isles.

Generational earners

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Byfield 5 x 6.25

Noting it walks him to UFA at age 26... 27 before he starts the next season. It has the opportunity to be a great contract for LA, but it also carries quite a bit of risk for them too.

Reactions: weems

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1721148632831.png

Artificial intelligence predicts the Maple Leafs' next Stanley Cup victory​

1721148338829.png

1721148423251.png

Artificial intelligence has predicted the next 10 Stanley Cup winners and the Maple Leafs are listed among those 10 teams.​

While Leafs GM Brad Treliving has been tinkering with his team during the offseason, looking for the recipe for success, we really cannot determine how successful the moves he made will be until games are being played. With the additions of Chris Tanev, along with Stanley Cup Champions Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Anthony Stolarz, the Leafs are better than they were last season, at least on paper. But how close are they to actually winning a Cup? That seems like a loaded question.

For a franchise that has not won a Cup since 1967, it seems like a stretch that they'd go from exiting in the first round this past year to a Stanley Cup win in such a short time, but this projection from A.I. actually makes a lot of sense as well, for a few different reasons.

First, captain John Tavares' mega deal, paying him an AAV of $11M will be long gone by the 2026-27 season. Another reason is that young players in Toronto, such as Matthew Knies, Fraser Minten, Easton Cowan, and even Ben Danford will have experienced a lot of development over the next few seasons and could be key contributors by then. Also, if Joseph Woll continues on his development curve, his $3.66M AAV may also look like a steal by that point in time.

With the extra cap space the Maple Leafs will get by the 2026-27 season, the sky is the limit. The added cap will play a major role in the team to be able to target high-end free agents and ink key internal pieces to valuable contracts. Another reason that this could come to fruition is the internal growth from guys like Auston Matthews, William Nylander in Toronto.

The contention window is wide open for the Leafs. There's a real opportunity for them to do some damage over the next few seasons. It's just a matter of what they do with it at this point.​

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know anything about pre-arthritic changes but isn't literally every single pro hockey player playing today basically degenerating their cartilage on an almost daily basis?

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
View attachment 895286

Artificial intelligence predicts the Maple Leafs' next Stanley Cup victory​

View attachment 895283
View attachment 895284

Artificial intelligence has predicted the next 10 Stanley Cup winners and the Maple Leafs are listed among those 10 teams.​

While Leafs GM Brad Treliving has been tinkering with his team during the offseason, looking for the recipe for success, we really cannot determine how successful the moves he made will be until games are being played. With the additions of Chris Tanev, along with Stanley Cup Champions Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Anthony Stolarz, the Leafs are better than they were last season, at least on paper. But how close are they to actually winning a Cup? That seems like a loaded question.

For a franchise that has not won a Cup since 1967, it seems like a stretch that they'd go from exiting in the first round this past year to a Stanley Cup win in such a short time, but this projection from A.I. actually makes a lot of sense as well, for a few different reasons.

First, captain John Tavares' mega deal, paying him an AAV of $11M will be long gone by the 2026-27 season. Another reason is that young players in Toronto, such as Matthew Knies, Fraser Minten, Easton Cowan, and even Ben Danford will have experienced a lot of development over the next few seasons and could be key contributors by then. Also, if Joseph Woll continues on his development curve, his $3.66M AAV may also look like a steal by that point in time.

With the extra cap space the Maple Leafs will get by the 2026-27 season, the sky is the limit. The added cap will play a major role in the team to be able to target high-end free agents and ink key internal pieces to valuable contracts. Another reason that this could come to fruition is the internal growth from guys like Auston Matthews, William Nylander in Toronto.

The contention window is wide open for the Leafs. There's a real opportunity for them to do some damage over the next few seasons. It's just a matter of what they do with it at this point.​

Does AI have marner and his cap hit counting against the Leafs cap or not?

That is the question!!! ;)

• Wow
Reactions: HolyCrap

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy