Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

During said appearance on the NHL Network, Boudreau was asked which team had the most impressive off-season in the Atlantic Division, and his comments were somewhat surprising.​
"I'm not just saying this because I'm from Toronto, but I really do think it's the Leafs. I really like what they did with their defense," said Boudreau. "The three acquisitions they made to bolster their defense, especially when you get Tanev -- I had Ekman-Larsson and when he's at his best, he's still a really good defenseman -- these guys are really good players. Toronto already has the offense, and if they can get the defense to go with it, I really believe they can make it past the first round and go a little bit further."

Boudreau also sent a friendly shot to Sheldon Keefe when he discussed the accountability that he believes Craig Berube will make a gold standard in the room, compared to Keefe.

"As for Berube, I don't think the pressure is going to bother him. When he played, he fought every tough guy in the history of the game—that's pressure... He's a really good defensive coach, and that's why they added the defensemen that they did and I think if the Leafs get a little bit better defensively to add to that offense and I think he's going to be way more accountable that maybe Sheldon was... When he was in St. Louis and whether when I was in Minnesota or Anaheim or Vancouver, he was always a tough guy to go against because the team kept playing the same way and that's going to make the Leafs a little bit tougher and a bit more sand paper and that's how Calgary was a couple years ago with Brad Treliving so I don't see anything changing on offense, but I do see them being tougher to play against next year."

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Canada is rightly expected to be favoured in the tournament, but Sweden, Finland, and the United States are icing exceptionally talented teams in their own right. In fact (and perhaps not dissimilar to men’s Olympic basketball), the talent gap between Canada and the chasing pack seems as narrow as it’s ever been. If you don’t believe me, consider the betting markets: Canada’s implied probability to emerge victorious is about 40 per cent, with the United States at 33 per cent.

Is Canada really the favorite?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just to follow up on the prior post, Blues have offer sheeted both Broberg and Holloway.

They offered Broberg two years at $4,580,917 AAV. Compensation is a 2nd round pick.

And offered Holloway two years at $2,290,457 AAV. Compensation is a 3rd round pick.

I suspect they let Broberg go, and match Holloway.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Glad to see players accepting the offers rather keeping it their back pocket

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Love that the blues offersheeted. I don’t understand why GM’s are so afraid to do this.
There's the obvious relationship/revenge stuff we hear, but I feel like that's possibly overblown

But those prices
Tradewise, a 2nd and 3rd for those guys is great - but nearly $4.6M for Broberg is pretty wild at this stage

Reactions: francis246

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
There's the obvious relationship/revenge stuff we hear, but I feel like that's possibly overblown

But those prices
Tradewise, a 2nd and 3rd for those guys is great - but nearly $4.6M for Broberg is pretty wild at this stage
Low risk high reward for the Blues. 2 year deal, he doesnt show hes a legit nhler then they just walk away after that and its just a 2nd for the cost. But if he proves he can stick in the top 4 well then that is a home run for the blues getting a young d man with size and that can skate really well for a 2nd.

Can't make the offer so easy that Edmonton will just easily accept like what the habs did with aho...

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's interesting that the Blues targeting Broberg .. I understand taking a chance on him overall, but looking at their blue line:

Krug-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk

All signed for the next 2 seasons +

Then you have Perunovich, Suter, and Kessel. Broberg compliments that with size and physicality.

I wonder if they move a defender out if this goes through. Lots of puck movers in that bunch.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's interesting that the Blues targeting Broberg .. I understand taking a chance on him overall, but looking at their blue line:

Krug-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk

Then you have Perunovich, Suter, and Kessel. Broberg compliments that with size and physicality.

I wonder if they move a defender out if this goes through. Lots of puck movers in that bunch.

There is rumours krug is injured for the year. Krugs career might also be over. Pre arthretic ankle injury

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Krug-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Love that the blues offersheeted. I don’t understand why GM’s are so afraid to do this.
That cap space for STL can be frozen for up to a week until EDM goes public with its intention to match or walk away (this obviously isn't a factor right now with us being well into the offseason). Most of all, these contracts can sometimes ridiculously inflate the cost of doing business for GMs (and their owners). While Edmonton probably shouldn't love the idea of walking away from a couple of former 1sts in exchange for a 2nd and 3rd, paying 4.5M for potential in particular doesn't seem feasible. In any case, good on STL for identifying a couple of possible rewards that evidently don't come with entirely too much risk attached.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Maybe Armstrong has resentment for Bowman after the Chicago thing, and he took the opportunity to screw him over.

I just think he wants Broberg. Halloway is a decoy almost. Bro has shown some upside and worth the 2nd round pick. If he doesn't pan out, well you lose 2nd round pick and you only have him for 2 years

But the upside is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7