Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
What exactly where you expecting return for a lot of these guys?

Surely you weren't expecting a king's ransom for *checks notes* 39 year old Justin Turner and well cooked Kevin Keirmeier?
No I'm not. And that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm trying to say that despite all the trades that happened during the deadline, I still feel Atkins should be let go.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I think it’s going to prove a huge mistake not exploiting the trade market and cashing in on Gausman/Basset. I think Gausman especially for some reason are gonna have down years next year.

I also keep hearing about how it Atkins doesn’t sound like a gm that’s about to lose his job and other garbage like that. I think we better lock in to another year of Shapiro and Atkins. Shapiro on the last year of his deal and Atkins second last year. Bo and Vlad in their last years. They keep saying they’ll stay through this window of the Bo/Vlad contracts. I will not engage in anything blue jays if they are around after the season ends. I’ll refuse free tickets.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Gausman's Stuff+ is down to 94 this season and he is still owed $46 million over the next two seasons. I don't think that teams are lining up to take that contract at this point given his decline this year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Gausman's Stuff+ is down to 94 this season and he is still owed $46 million over the next two seasons. I don't think that teams are lining up to take that contract at this point given his decline this year.
I'm not convinced he's declining yet. He missed all of spring training with a shoulder issue and i'd be willing to bet it's still not fully resolved. The type of thing where you don't need surgery to correct it, but you do have to get some downtime for it to heal.

Let's see where he's at after the start of next season to determine that.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I'm not convinced he's declining yet. He missed all of spring training with a shoulder issue and i'd be willing to bet it's still not fully resolved. The type of thing where you don't need surgery to correct it, but you do have to get some downtime for it to heal.

Let's see where he's at after the start of next season to determine that.

Sure, but I was responding to someone who was making the comment that they made a mistake by not trading him. I'm not stating that he can't rebound next season.

Teams who are trading for starting pitching at the deadline are looking for immediate upgrades and potential playoff impact players that improve their team for 2024. Playoff contending teams are not lining up to take on Gausman's remaining $46 mill contract given the fact that he doesn't even improve their odds this season (as evidenced by the drastic decline in his stuff).

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
very possible but teams really didn't seem to be unwilling to pay for pitching. That's the stuff we'll never actually know

On another note, I was listening to the radio today and they were talking about them not having re signed him. They mentioned the they heard on good authority that the jays tried to re up him but they weren't close on dollars so they moved him. Smart to move him. Not smart to not have a sense of those dollars before trading Moreno.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm disappointed with Davis Schneider.

I honestly thought he was going to be a .750-.770 ops tier bat this season capable of being a starter. I will never get duped by hot starts or good AAA numbers again. He doesn't look like an MLB starter.

Reactions: LaP and phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

[Baseball America] Blue Jays Top 30 Prospects: Updated Post Deadline​

Blue Jays Top 30 Prospects:
  1. 2B Orelvis Martinez - Suspended
  2. LHP Ricky Tiedemann - Injured
  3. RHP Trey Yesavage (1st Round Pick)
  4. RHP Jake Bloss (Kikuchi Trade)
  5. OF Joey Loperfido (Kikuchi Trade)
  6. SS Arjun Nimmala
  7. 3B/RF Addison Barger
  8. LHP Kendry Rojas
  9. RHP Khal Stephen (2nd Round Pick)
  10. UTL Charles McAdoo (IKF Trade)
  11. SS Josh Kasevich
  12. OF Jonatan Clase (Garcia Trade)
  13. RHP Landen Maroudis - Injured
  14. RHP Fernando Perez
  15. LHP Johnny King (3rd Round Pick)
  16. LHP Adam Macko - Injured
  17. OF Alan Roden
  18. SS/2B Leo Jimenez
  19. OF Enmanuel Bonilla
  20. RHP Carson Messina (12th Round Pick)
  21. RHP Ryan Jennings - Injured
  22. RHP Dahian Santos
  23. OF Eddinson Paulino (Jansen Trade) - Injured
  24. OF Jace Bohrofen
  25. INF Will Wagner (Kikuchi Trade)
  26. RHP Juaron Watts-Brown
  27. LHP Brandon Barriera - Injured
  28. INF Cutter Coffey (Jansen Trade)
  29. RHP Nolan Perry
  30. RHP Eric Pardinho
Blue Jays Prospects Dropped From Last Update:
  • 15th - RHP Connor Cooke
  • 21st - INF Damiano Palmegiani
  • 22nd - RHP Chad Dallas (Injured)
  • 27th - RHP Hagen Danner (Injured)
  • 29th - RHP T.J. Brock (Injured)
  • 30th - INF Riley Tirotta
Recent Acquired Prospects Missing The Cut:
  • 15th: OF Yohendrick Pinango (CHC)
  • 30th: INF Josh Rivera (CHC)
  • NR: C Jacob Sharp (SEA)
  • NR: OF RJ Schreck (SEA)
  • NR: RHP Gilberto Batista (BOS)
  • NR: INF Jay Harry (MIN)

Seems slightly high for Orelvis. Roden and Jimenez might be a tad low. Barriera and Palmegiani have really fallen.

Reactions: aingefan

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

Seems slightly high for Orelvis. Roden and Jimenez might be a tad low. Barriera and Palmegiani have really fallen.
Thanks for posting. Nimmala I think should be higher. He’s doing very well as an 18 year old in Dunedin. Nice tools.

Barriera seems low but it does make sense. Last year he didn’t throw much and when he did he wasn’t good. This year he barely threw as well. If he comes back neat year and looks very good then I expect him to jump. Best to avoid high school pitchers in the first few rounds.

Bonilla hasn’t lived up to expectations as well.

Forgot to add there hasn’t really been any risers either. Injuries and a lack of performance has hurt the farm system this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillipmike

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm disappointed with Davis Schneider.

I honestly thought he was going to be a .750-.770 ops tier bat this season capable of being a starter. I will never get duped by hot starts or good AAA numbers again. He doesn't look like an MLB starter.

BABIP’d on the road, power drought at home. The huge cold spell over the last couple of months has hurt but I think he has the approach to bounce back and be a 110-120 wRC+.

Reactions: Lahey and Puckstuff

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7