Around the League: Capitals and Ovie are Stanley Cup Champions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
yep, I bet he was serious at the time he'd give up 3 1sts but in hindsight he knows he should pretend he wouldn't give that much up
Burke said he would never give up 3 firsts for Tavares but Snow would have to still consider it. In Burke's mind 3 1sts for Tavares was a huge overpayment.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Burke said he would never give up 3 firsts for Tavares but Snow would have to still consider it. In Burke's mind 3 1sts for Tavares was a huge overpayment.

I know what he said. But im saying a the time if snow actually said yes he'd have done it. draft picks were nothing to him. He gave up 2 1sts and a 2nd for Kessel, he needed a 1C he would have definitely given up 3 1sts for Tavares if given the opportunity

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I know what he said. But im saying a the time if snow actually said yes he'd have done it. draft picks were nothing to him. He gave up 2 1sts and a 2nd for Kessel, he needed a 1C he would have definitely given up 3 1sts for Tavares if given the opportunity
Gotcha. He still says the Kessel trade was worth it even with the results lol. I'm sure he will take that one to his grave.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Gotcha. He still says the Kessel trade was worth it even with the results lol.

haha oh burkie.

You know what though if we had Tavares, (what Tavares turned into at least) with kessel on another line we would have been a lot more successful IMO. Kessel cant be the main man, we know that now. But 2nd line of x-Bozak-Kessel? that would have feasted on 2nd d pairs.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Thats crazy about Tavares and Burke....looks like Burke might be best suited on that panel.

ughh.....this thread just feels weird without @Daisy Jane being able to update the thread title!

JK, I don't care at all, and find it humorous anyone would care about that at all.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Thats crazy about Tavares and Burke....looks like Burke might be best suited on that panel.

ughh.....this thread just feels weird without @Daisy Jane being able to update the thread title!

JK, I don't care at all, and find it humorous anyone would care about that at all.

because I happen to find, in a thread regarding league news etc, if the thread updated, there would be more things to discuss. it was also more of a wondering, why if someone started the thread how did it come to be that things were changed that they weren't. And finally - in order to see the thread I had to modify my ignore list.

it's fine that you don't care and you find it humorous - but you had to tag me in order to tell me about it?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
In true Burke fashion the Flames are left without their first, second, and third round picks in the draft this year. They only have 4 picks altogether (2 4th, a 6th, and a 7th)

I wouldn't be too happy as a Flames fan.

They also only have 6 picks next year, and no 2nd rounder.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Brian Burke on Kessel trade, trying to get Tavares, and more - Sportsnet.ca
THE PHIL KESSEL TRADE

Burke’s most famous and controversial trade as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs was acquiring Phil Kessel from Boston for two first-round picks and second-rounder.

“If you want to talk about mistakes, we should have lottery protected the pick on Phil. We actually talked about it and we thought there was no way we’d pick top five. We felt he’d add to our team, we’re improving. We actually talked about it. We were terrified more of it being for Taylor Hall than Tyler Seguin… Taylor Hall petrified us. We were comfortable enough our team wouldn’t finish bottom five we’re going to do this deal.”

“Back then lottery protection wasn’t really in vogue. I think we talked about it briefly and they said ‘no you make the deal or walk.’ Now lottery protection is standard.”

WAS THE PROCESS RUSHED IN TORONTO?

Largely because of the Kessel trade, Burke is often criticized for rushing what should have been a long-term rebuild through the draft, along the lines of what the current management group has done.

“The problem was when I went through the interview process here in Toronto I told Larry Tanenbaum and the Teachers’ Pension Board you’re looking at a five-year rebuild. I’m not going to say that publicly because I hate guys that do that. I hate guys that stand up on the first day and say it’s going to take five years — well you’re just buying five years of failure."

“Problem was the number of no-trade and no-move clauses and the one-way contracts with big money and term. So to just shovel out the stable and get rid of all those guys it took more than two years. And we made the Kessel deal that backfired us a bit with the pick, but I’d do that deal again. Phil was excellent here and I’m so glad he’s vindicated his time here with two rings in Pittsburgh.”

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Jays made me miss most of the first.....anyone get their teeth knocked out?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah wtf. Why did Sportsnet play the Jays game over the playoffs game when the game was already on SN 360

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Winnipeg fans are something else. That timid go jets go chant was feeble. They’re on the Pp

If they score they somehow become the best fans in sports.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I can hear the players talk in a playoff game? Weak.

Maybe we should call them the propellers?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Honestly Burke as a hockey commentator has been pretty good. He offers actual analysis that’s beyond reactionary hot takes.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly Burke as a hockey commentator has been pretty good. He offers actual analysis that’s beyond reactionary hot takes.
Thats something I find refreshing too. I think his ego is actually helping him for a change, pretty sure he watches the show and been cursing that those guys know nothing.....and decided if I am coming in I am going to be the best by giving fans actual insights.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Thats something I find refreshing too. I think his ego is actually helping him for a change, pretty sure he watches the show and been cursing that those guys know nothing.....and decided if I am coming in I am going to be the best by giving fans actual insights.
Sounds like Burkie has found his place in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad