Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Oilers or Montreal, who may have the worst the defensive (forwards 2 way play included) and goalie group?

outside of SJ and possibly Chicago, anyone else contending for 3 with those two?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So STL just gave Edmonton a 2028 3rd & Paul Fischer for "future considerations"...guess this is payment that was promised to get EDM to not match either of the offer sheets?

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Holy f***, if this is true, no wonder that Cbus locker room was messed up:

Portzline said that veteran players had a meeting a few years ago. He says, "I also think back to a meeting with the veteran players, I think it was maybe after the 19-20 season (believe it was 20-21 he meant), and if my recollection is right it was Cam, it was Seth Jones, it was Werenski, it was Foligno for sure, maybe Gus Nyquist. What do we need to do here to make this thing work? You guys know what a good room is like, you've seen it. And the players, they have a hard time doing this sometimes, and you understand why, basically came back with "You gotta get Laine and Merzlikins out of here." That's steps one and two. The organization heard that and said, "You know what let's get rid of the people who said that," not the people that they mentioned. And look who all's gone."
He goes on to say, "That's one of those things, in the near term you go ouch, you ask those guys to bare their soul, and they do, and that's how you respond by moving them out, rather than taking the suggestions they made. But think of the chill it sends throughout the room, as don't ever share your honest opinion here. Because that's how it's going to be handled, not straight up "Thanks for your input, we'll respect your privacy here."

Laine (and Roslovic) was traded to Cbus for PLD (and a 3rd) in January 2021.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
The thread about Yzerman not being a good GM is a good read
I recommend reading this thread as a chaser:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I recommend reading this thread as a chaser:

"He may have just found Vasy 2.0!"

At least a few posters saw that Ned wasn't great in that Lightning series and probably wasn't going to get much better.

What's the consensus? Honestly I can see arguments on both sides though I have a buddy who is a DET fan and he loves Yzerman.

Detroit fans defending him because of the crap he was left to clean. Others saying it's been long enough and it's time for playoffs.

And then some Leafs talk 😆

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
What's the consensus? Honestly I can see arguments on both sides though I have a buddy who is a DET fan and he loves Yzerman.
in TB he set them up for great success and JBB has messed up post 2022 up.

Idk if the detroit owners are pressuring to make things happen quicker but Yzer's UFA moves especially have been pretty bad.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I think I'd give Yzerman a C- at best for his work in Detroit. He did come into a pretty barren situation. He's had some really nice draft hits considering their lack of lottery luck but some whiffs here and there as well. The team has been on a path of steady improvement in the standings over the past several years, which is nice. But the collapse last year (while largely sitting on his hands at the deadline if I recall), along with much of the improvement being from his mediocre acquisitions raising the floor of his team and less from a bunch of young guys taking over kinda puts a sour taste on that in my opinion.

I'd say I currently don't get the warm and fuzzies about that team going into this season either. I think the bottom of the playoff race could tighten up and I don't know that I see a lot to separate them into a team that actually claims a spot this time. I think they tried to speed up the rebuild a bit too much with the acquisitions of the past few seasons and probably needed to suck harder for longer, but I suspect that isn't all on Yzerman. But I'd imagine the many meh acquisitions are.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
GMs really should be evaluated only after being observed in a variety of situations over time. Now, we’re seeing what happens when you don’t inherent Stamkos and Hedman, and don’t pull Kucherov and Point outside of the 1st round.

Positive reputations are usually temporary. Ken Holland was a savant 15 years ago and now he’s largely ridiculed. HHOFer Lamoriello is a punchline to jokes nowadays. Believe it or not, but Chiarelli was highly thought of at one point in time.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
GMs really should be evaluated only after being observed in a variety of situations over time. Now, we’re seeing what happens when you don’t inherent Stamkos and Hedman, and don’t pull Kucherov and Point outside of the 1st round.

Positive reputations are usually temporary. Ken Holland was a savant 15 years ago and now he’s largely ridiculed. HHOFer Lamoriello is a punchline to jokes nowadays. Believe it or not, but Chiarelli was highly thought of at one point in time.

One of the bigger issues for evaluating Yzerman is that Detroit's rebuild is rather incomplete. A lot of their (IMO overly) panned UFA signings are stopgap veterans specifically signed in order for their youngsters to develop carefully in the minors. Most of their draft picks in the Yzerman era haven't matriculated to the NHL yet.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
in TB he set them up for great success and JBB has messed up post 2022 up.

Idk if the detroit owners are pressuring to make things happen quicker but Yzer's UFA moves especially have been pretty bad.
I think it's been more the term than the AAV on the UFA moves in Detroit to be honest. Signing someone like Chiarot to add a veteran presence to the blueline of a rebuilding team is "eh, whatever" even if he's being paid twice as much as he should be. Paying him that FOR FOUR SEASONS instead of one or two is where the real issue is. Same with the Copp contract, not a bad player, but you don't give a guy like that that money for 5 frigin years.

He hasn't been gifted gamebreakers with their early picks the way Tampa was from before he was with the Wings either. There's no Hedman or Stamkos already in the system, and Montreal's not gifting them a top pair caliber defenseman for one of his more disappointing draft picks.

On another note, look at his first round drafting in Tampa outside of Vasi... frigin YIKES.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I think it's been more the term than the AAV on the UFA moves in Detroit to be honest. Signing someone like Chiarot to add a veteran presence to the blueline of a rebuilding team is "eh, whatever" even if he's being paid twice as much as he should be. Paying him that FOR FOUR SEASONS instead of one or two is where the real issue is. Same with the Copp contract, not a bad player, but you don't give a guy like that that money for 5 frigin years.

He hasn't been gifted gamebreakers with their early picks the way Tampa was from before he was with the Wings either. There's no Hedman or Stamkos already in the system, and Montreal's not gifting them a top pair caliber defenseman for one of his more disappointing draft picks.

On another note, look at his first round drafting in Tampa outside of Vasi... frigin YIKES.

My guess without looking it up is Namestikov is probably the best pick, who was used as a trade chip to get Miller/McDonaugh but Namestikov is still in the league.

Drouin and Connolly were both strike-outs.

Yeah I remember Chia being regarded as a genuis after that Kessel trade. Then we saw his drafts weren't very good and he got robbed by Dallas for Seguin.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad