Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Grier bailing out a division rival for a f***ing 3rd round pick is some amateur level GMing.

It’s not the first time he’s basically taken pennys for a dollar. I get what he’s doing. He’s building a relationship for when the Sharks are competitive again, an IOU down the line. But man, it is annoying to see so many bad situations resolved rather easily because he’s willing to get bent over a barrel.

Hell, when the Canes bailed out the Leafs of their Marleau situation, at least we got a 1st out of it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It’s not the first time he’s basically taken pennys for a dollar. I get what he’s doing. He’s building a relationship for when the Sharks are competitive again, an IOU down the line. But man, it is annoying to see so many bad situations resolved rather easily because he’s willing to get bent over a barrel.

Hell, when the Canes bailed out the Leafs of their Marleau situation, at least we got a 1st out of it.
Wake me up when those IOUs get paid back in kind. That kind of thing always sounds good on paper, but rarely plays out in reality. If and when the Sharks are good again, they'll just be dealing with teams who are in a position to talk to them, regardless of how willing he was to hike up his skirt for them in the past.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the value reflects what the value actually was. I heard rumors that the Oilers had ways to move guys all summer, and heard it again when the offer sheets happened. We imagine all these horrible prices to move guys but it’s often not that expensive if people have cap space and the player has more value than fans allow.

The Oilers situation was probably never as bad as fans wanted to believe it was. The Blues took a shot, and they may get Holloway. They went big hoping they get at least one of the two and it probably worked. To me it seemed unlikely they couldn’t find a way to keep one of them and Broberg is the obvious choice.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wake me up when those IOUs get paid back in kind. That kind of thing always sounds good on paper, but rarely plays out in reality. If and when the Sharks are good again, they'll just be dealing with teams who are in a position to talk to them, regardless of how willing he was to hike up his skirt for them in the past.
I mean how many of these GMs are going to still be in their current positions by the time San Jose is good again? Is Grier even going to be in his by that point? (I'd say probably not) Playing nice with someone only works as long as they're still in a place to pay back the favor at some point.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Yeah, but there were a lot more reasons Carolina got a 1st out of that:

1) Amount of cap space was $6.25M for Marleau vs $3.25M for Ceci.
2) Ceci will actually play for San Jose. Marleau never even skated for Carolina so the $6.25M was completely dead for a year. And as a 35+ contract, the buyout didn't make the cap come off.
3) Timing. This offer sheet came late in an offseason when Calgary, Anaheim, San Jose, and Montreal at a minimum had cap space available to take on a player like Ceci. I think others could have made space, but I tried to avoid those with RFAs still unsigned like Carolina or Boston or Buffalo or Detroit.

By contrast, Carolina made the deal for Marleau before July 1, at a time when everyone wants to maximize cap flexibility to sign UFAs.

Lower cap hit, actual usable player, multiple potential suitors, less opportunities for any team to use their remaining cap space before the season all add up to a lower cost to move Ceci even in the face of 2 offer sheets.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Askarov for a 1st?

Move Freddie.

Sign Jarvis for 8 x 8.

Take on Laine with 33% retention (fast ltir’d).

Profit.

Okay not going to happen
I'm guessing Nashville would want Kochetkov (doesn't make sense for Carolina) or a close RD prospect like Morrow more than a 1st.

Add in that moving Andersen at this point will at a minimum be tricky, and I don't think it's a direction Carolina goes.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm guessing Nashville would want Kochetkov (doesn't make sense for Carolina) or a close RD prospect like Morrow more than a 1st.

Add in that moving Andersen at this point will at a minimum be tricky, and I don't think it's a direction Carolina goes.
i dont think kooch would be the ask. Nashville decided to go all in on a sinking boat for the next 4 years. Pyotr playing 25 games doesnt help with that.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

And if you're Kooch, or any other young goalie, you're looking at the Askarov situation and saying you'd do the exact same if you got traded there, especially if you're in a spot where you're looking to get serious NHL playing time this year, if not assuming the starters spot for the franchise.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah, but there were a lot more reasons Carolina got a 1st out of that:

1) Amount of cap space was $6.25M for Marleau vs $3.25M for Ceci.
2) Ceci will actually play for San Jose. Marleau never even skated for Carolina so the $6.25M was completely dead for a year. And as a 35+ contract, the buyout didn't make the cap come off.
3) Timing. This offer sheet came late in an offseason when Calgary, Anaheim, San Jose, and Montreal at a minimum had cap space available to take on a player like Ceci. I think others could have made space, but I tried to avoid those with RFAs still unsigned like Carolina or Boston or Buffalo or Detroit.

By contrast, Carolina made the deal for Marleau before July 1, at a time when everyone wants to maximize cap flexibility to sign UFAs.

Lower cap hit, actual usable player, multiple potential suitors, less opportunities for any team to use their remaining cap space before the season all add up to a lower cost to move Ceci even in the face of 2 offer sheets.
Ceci with only one year left has value beyond this trade as well. He’ll bring them something at the deadline.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Canes have a potential star in Khazheyev coming to NA this year.

Given that, does it make sense to trade for Askarov or just roll with a Pyotr backup until Khazheyev is ready when Freddie's contract expires (don't know if any other young goalie, ie Quapp is a possibility too).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Put it in the Roster Building thread, but we're already being listed as a potential landing spot for Askarov

I think it makes sense for us. Goaltending hasn’t been the strength it’s needed to be during this regime. If you think this kid is a true number one, getting him early checks a pretty big box for the team as we reshuffle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad