Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Double their pleasure offer sheets…wow. Surprised it’s not the Canes or Habs involved.

On a Canes’ note, I would have liked them to have gone after Holloway, but don’t think they have their own 3rd this year.
I'd rather we get Jarvis worked out long-term than spend said 3rd on Holloway anyhow, now Holloway vs Carrier could be an argument.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The Blues have entered the offer sheet game with Edmonton.
If you are going to piss off a team with one, just go ahead and double the pleasure and take two.

That aside, what's everyone's thoughts on the players/contract values for the Blues (Bouchard LY would have been better)?

Oilers are clearly in a pickle with cap constraint.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'd rather we get Jarvis worked out long-term than spend said 3rd on Holloway anyhow, now Holloway vs Carrier could be an argument.
If Fast is going to LTIR, they probably could have done both, but yeah, getting Jarvis done should be top priority, which I’m sure it is.

I remember from Jarvis’ draft year wanting them to draft either Jarvis or Holloway. I think Hollway would fit in very nicely as an eventual top 6LW, but I’d be pretty shocked if the Oilers don’t match that. He’s worth a ton more than a 3rd. Broberg likely gone…ice cold move from the Blues.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If you are going to piss off a team with one, just go ahead and double the pleasure and take two.

That aside, what's everyone's thoughts on the players/contract values for the Blues (Bouchard LY would have been better)?

Oilers are clearly in a pickle with cap constraint.
Holloway is an easy match to me. Broberg is a bit of a pickle. In one sense he's not worth the contract that St Louis is offering, but on the other side he's easily their 3rd best defenseman with a big dropoff down to Nurse, Kulak, and f***ing Ceci

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Pretty brilliant play by St. Louis here. Screw the retribution, Edmonton doesn't have the capspace to get back at them for a long while. Edmonton is going to be right at the cap already this year and subsequent years may be harder if they really will re-sign Drai and McDavid and Bouchard. It was clear they were trying to bridge Broberg and Holloway for bargain prices, and someone called their bluff.

In hindsight, the Connor Brown contract was asinine (granted most of us called it that day 1), and even the Skinner deal was capspace they proooooobably should have held onto.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Pretty brilliant play by St. Louis here. Screw the retribution, Edmonton doesn't have the capspace to get back at them for a long while. Edmonton is going to be right at the cap already this year and subsequent years may be harder if they really will re-sign Drai and McDavid and Bouchard. It was clear they were trying to bridge Broberg and Holloway for bargain prices, and someone called their bluff.

In hindsight, the Connor Brown contract was asinine (granted most of us called it that day 1), and even the Skinner deal was capspace they proooooobably should have held onto.
The two year contracts in the offer sheets are really what puts the screws to Edmonton. If it were one year, they could just kick the can down the road, but two years makes this a choice between keeping these two or having the flexibility to try and sign the big fish next year. Ouch.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's super fun and creative by the Blues to do those offer sheets. Personally, while both players are useful enough with a chance to be more, I wouldn't have really bothered with either. Considering that Broberg would seem more likely to get through to the Blues and the blues need more young back end help, not a bad idea.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah my class at Gibbons was pretty similar in that not many of them (not Catholic myself) were huge on Catholicism. Never did get told by a teacher I was going to hell though. Brother Gary did tell our Western Civ class to die one day whilst flipping us all off. That was a good one.
My mother was a devout Catholic. She went to church pretty much every day, did her rosary at night.

My father was a Presbyterian. He went to church only for weddings and funerals.

The priest we had for most of my childhood was great. Rumors were abound that he and one of the women of the parish had an illicit affair going on, which I think was true. He also had season tickets to the closest NFL team, so Sunday's mass was about 25 minutes long during the 8 home game so he could get on the road and make it in time for kickoff.

He passed away when I was about 15 or 16 and they brought in another priest. I was an alter boy at the time, but also had a part time job. The former priest was flexible. This guy came in and said you must come to the masses when he schedules me for, and if you have to quit your job to do it, then quit your job.

My brother and I quit as alter boys on the spot. A couple years later, this asshole saw me out at a local pizza joint with friends and started harassing me about "wanting to be a hoodlum instead of a good Catholic". Never stepped foot in that church again until my mother's funeral, but he was no longer the priest. He got arrested and sent to prison for sexually abusing alter boys. Apparently it happened at the last church he was at as well, but the church swept it under the rug. He was a real piece of shit.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If Kane is to be LTIR'd, the Oilers only need to move Kulak to be compliant for a while. Columbus and a couple of others could and should absorb Kulak easily.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
If Kane is to be LTIR'd, the Oilers only need to move Kulak to be compliant for a while. Columbus and a couple of others could and should absorb Kulak easily.
I haven't really paid attention to edmonton - what happened that kane could potentially go LTIR?

Note - i'd not have to ask if it stood for Lady Trouble IR.

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I haven't really paid attention to edmonton - what happened that kane could potentially go LTIR?

Note - i'd not have to ask if it stood for Lady Trouble IR.
Apparently Kane never had surgery for the sports hernia he had in the playoffs and it hasn’t recovered. So he likely still needs surgery and will be out to start the season.

Reminds me of Frank Kaberle.

Edit to add link:

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That only works for this year, though. The two year offers mean that they could be looking at Kane back on the roster next year with McDrai contracts to deal with and these two younger players at salaries they don't want to pay.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
That only works for this year, though. The two year offers mean that they could be looking at Kane back on the roster next year with McDrai contracts to deal with and these two younger players at salaries they don't want to pay.
Sure, buyouts and other moves can solve the issue

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I didn’t realize Tampa was in the market for sale. Private equity guy realizing that time to sell is now with roster aging?

nice bit of business for him considering he bought the team from the OK Hockey clownshow for $170M back in 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad