Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Askarov for a 1st?

Move Freddie.

Sign Jarvis for 8 x 8.

Take on Laine with 33% retention (fast ltir’d).

Profit.

Okay not going to happen
Askarov ain't worth nearly a 1st anymore...he's barely even a proven AHL starter so far (.911 isn't lighting the world on fire) AND has requested a trade AND basically wants a guaranteed NHL spot

That said he can't really "refuse" to report to the AHL can he? Wouldn't that be a breach of contract basically?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think it makes sense for us. Goaltending hasn’t been the strength it’s needed to be during this regime. If you think this kid is a true number one, getting him early checks a pretty big box for the team as we reshuffle.
I'm very intrigued but I just am not sure how we make sense as a trading partner.

Don't get me wrong, would love to have Kooch-Askarov as our NHL tandem, and while I know the coaches have a lot of faith in Kooch going into this year, I know they are going to want a veteran presence there somehow. Is Kooch enough of a vet now? Is Martin enough as the 3rd guy? And then we would absolutely have to figure out where to move Freddie, maybe he could end up in SJ?

But it would be one heck of a nice problem to have to sort out. Would potentially give us an incredibly good goalie core for a very cheap price, and a great location for someone like Khazheyev to train in. Between those 3 you would hope 1 becomes a bonafide star in the league.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm very intrigued but I just am not sure how we make sense as a trading partner.

Don't get me wrong, would love to have Kooch-Askarov as our NHL tandem, and while I know the coaches have a lot of faith in Kooch going into this year, I know they are going to want a veteran presence there somehow. Is Kooch enough of a vet now? Is Martin enough as the 3rd guy? And then we would absolutely have to figure out where to move Freddie, maybe he could end up in SJ?

But it would be one heck of a nice problem to have to sort out. Would potentially give us an incredibly good goalie core for a very cheap price, and a great location for someone like Khazheyev to train in. Between those 3 you would hope 1 becomes a bonafide star in the league.
Or keep Freddie and run a 3-headed goalie monster of Freddie - Kooch - Askarov?

Reactions: Svechhammer

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes have a potential star in Khazheyev coming to NA this year.

Given that, does it make sense to trade for Askarov or just roll with a Pyotr backup until Khazheyev is ready when Freddie's contract expires (don't know if any other young goalie, ie Quapp is a possibility too).
In one sense, 100%. In another sense who knows how open to a trade Askarov would be to coming here either. Guy is pissed because Nashville didn't just sign Saros to that albatross but also signed Wedgewood to a 2 year deal that doesn't fully disappear if he goes to the AHL (1.5M rather than 1M which would) and he still has a waiver exemption. We'd have to know if he's OK being in the A for next year, knowing there's an opening after that, since no chance he beats out Freddy or Kooch, but he's also a couple years ahead of Big Nyetminder in development. Kooch-Askarov next year gives us a chance to really moneyball things in net and splash some money on adding a couple legit top 6 forwards.

But if he's not open to playing in the A for one year here then that means we'd have to find a way to work out a loan to a KHL club to not piss him off, and they're already well into their pre-season so the options are likely extremely limited.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In one sense, 100%. In another sense who knows how open to a trade Askarov would be to coming here either. Guy is pissed because Nashville didn't just sign Saros to that albatross but also signed Wedgewood to a 2 year deal that doesn't fully disappear if he goes to the AHL (1.5M rather than 1M which would) and he still has a waiver exemption. We'd have to know if he's OK being in the A for next year since no chance he beats out Freddy or Kooch, but he's also a couple years ahead of Big Nyetminder in development. Kooch-Askarov next year gives us a chance to really moneyball things in net and splash some money on adding a couple legit top 6 forwards.

But if he's not open to playing in the A for one year here then that means we'd have to find a way to work out a loan to a KHL club to not piss him off, and they're already well into their pre-season so the options are likely extremely limited.
or, as @WreckingCrew pointed out, we could just keep him in the NHL for a 3 headed rotation of Kooch-Freddie-Askarov, with intention to ramp up Askarov into the 2 spot by year's end to allow Freddie to walk next year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
or, as @WreckingCrew pointed out, we could just keep him in the NHL for a 3 headed rotation of Kooch-Freddie-Askarov, with intention to ramp up Askarov into the 2 spot by year's end to allow Freddie to walk next year.
not the worst idea with Freddy's injury history, but at the age that Kooch and Askarov are the biggest thing is getting regular reps whether that's in the AHL or the NHL for both of them. a 35-25-20 type split would be a struggle to make work IMO.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
not the worst idea with Freddy's injury history, but at the age that Kooch and Askarov are the biggest thing is getting regular reps whether that's in the AHL or the NHL for both of them. a 35-25-20 type split would be a struggle to make work IMO.
From what I understand Kooch is going into this season expecting to get the bulk of starts. They're officially making that transition this year. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with 50+ starts

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
From what I understand Kooch is going into this season expecting to get the bulk of starts. They're officially making that transition this year. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with 50+ starts
oh that's what I'm fully expecting right now. I think the ideal situation is going Kooch 50+ Freddy the remaining 25-30 or so, with Askarov and Khaz getting a 2:1 split in the A, then the following season Freddy's gone, Askarov takes his role, and in the A it's Khaz and Perets or whoever with the 2:1 split.

I just don't think Askarov would be fully onboard with that and would likely prefer a loan back to a KHL club if that's what we could offer from a quality of life standpoint alone.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah, I'm not big on that idea. Askarov needs starts, he needs to be in the AHL playing games if he's not going to be a regular part of the rotation. Unless Freddie is going somewhere, which I wouldn't have minded doing earlier in the offseason, I can't see it.

Now, if you can move Freddie and his money for a good forward and bring Askarov in as the new backup, that's not a bad deal, and with Martin in the wings we still have a decent backup option if Askarov craters. But it's a lot thinner than having Freddie there. Freddie is a pretty expensive backup, so that's worth looking at so we can truly exploit the bargain of Kooch's contract. I suspect that kind of deal would be a lot harder to make at this point in the offseason, but who knows.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
oh that's what I'm fully expecting right now. I think the ideal situation is going Kooch 50+ Freddy the remaining 25-30 or so, with Askarov and Khaz getting a 2:1 split in the A, then the following season Freddy's gone, Askarov takes his role, and in the A it's Khaz and Perets or whoever with the 2:1 split.

I just don't think Askarov would be fully onboard with that and would likely prefer a loan back to a KHL club if that's what we could offer from a quality of life standpoint alone.
Where is Spencer Martin in this scenario? Waived?

I don't think he's a valuable chip that must be retained, but I do wonder how this works this season even if Askarov signs off on playing in the AHL this year because he sees a better route to the NHL next year.

Maybe both Khaz and Perets in the ECHL? Does Carolina even have an ECHL deal this year??

Reactions: DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Before anything, seems to me that step #1 is to separate where Askarov actually is now as a prospect from where he was hyped as a prospect when he was drafted (closest thing to a surefire star you're going to get in a goalie prospect).

Step #2 is to look at the difference between where Trotz sees the gap above and where the Borg sees the gap above and whether it's too far apart to be bridged. From everything I've read, Trotz seems to want a return that more closely reflects the early hype than where Askarov actually is now. Granted, if the kid is demanding a trade that might lower his return somewhat, but there are other teams with even bigger issues in goal than the Canes; gotta believe someone else would pay more of a premium.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Where is Spencer Martin in this scenario? Waived?

I don't think he's a valuable chip that must be retained, but I do wonder how this works this season even if Askarov signs off on playing in the AHL this year because he sees a better route to the NHL next year.

Maybe both Khaz and Perets in the ECHL? Does Carolina even have an ECHL deal this year??
we have an ECHL deal with Bloomington, so yeah Martin and Askarov in the A, had completely forgotten about him to be honest

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As I alluded to in the other thread, count me in the skeptical this would/could happen. I find it unlikely to move one of our goalies this late in the game. I don't see us running a permanent 3 headed goalie situation again and I doubt Askarov wants to be on the Wolves either. But we shall see. Nothing's impossible.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It seems like Columbus's ownership wanted a trade that would completely dump Laine's cap hit. I'm sure that Laine would've had some trade value if their organization was willing to retain 50%, but because ownership didn't want to do that, teams like ours stayed far away, their hands were tied, and they had to dump a 2nd to make the contract go away. Tough situation for Waddell and the new FO, but this was likely their only real choice.

Reactions: cptjeff and Chrispy

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Laine and a 2nd for Jordan Harris.

I don’t know Jordan Harris, but this seems…awful?
As expected without retention he has negative value, despite what all CBJ fans wanted everyone to think

EDIT: Also Habs finally dump Harris, who they've been throwing into every trade proposal possible like PIT used to do with Bennett, Wilson, Sheary, etc while acting like he's a more than a bottom pairing meh player. Basically their version of Haydn Fleury

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad