Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I thought that after losing out on Tkachuk some here were a bit "on tilt" regarding a Meier trade. Don't get me wrong, thought he would have been a great addition, but I don't (didn't) see him as an elite scorer, or a difference maker at the level of Tkachuk. Only one 40 goal season in 6.5 years, and never a ppg average season. Again, thought he would have been a great addition, but not at the level of "must have at almost any cost".

Oh, and for the record I disagree with Bleed in that I think that relationships probably did factor into SJs negotiations.

Reactions: DaveG

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Have there been many goalie trades where a significant asset like Necas or Jarvis was included in the deal? I know NJ traded I think 9th OA pick (which became Horvat) for Schneider, but a pick is still a roll of the dice. I'm trying to remember other such trades in the recent past. I know the Leafs traded a late 1st round pick (became Sam Steel) and 2nd round pick (became Max Comtois) for Andersen. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
As I was pressing post I was thinking more about that and the likelihood you would reply. Was trying to squeak one past you

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think in order to get a legitimate #1 and not a "Could be #1 in the right situation", Necas would have to be involved. Part of that is because we don't have a lot of other assets to bargain with, and part of that is because teams know how desperate we are for a goalie

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think in order to get a legitimate #1 and not a "Could be #1 in the right situation", Necas would have to be involved. Part of that is because we don't have a lot of other assets to bargain with, and part of that is because teams know how desperate we are for a goalie

Also, if that's the distinction we're making, I'd say there's less than 10-12 legitimate #1s in the whole league, and most aren't for sale at all.

All we really need right now is the right "could be #1 in the right situation." We've got one already in Andersen.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Also, if that's the distinction we're making, I'd say there's less than 10-12 legitimate #1s in the whole league, and most aren't for sale at all.

All we really need right now is the right "could be #1 in the right situation." We've got one already in Andersen.

I would also say the Caniacs are more desperate for a goalies than the Borg is. Sure we have some injury issues but as usual cool hand turtle neck Don is going with the flow. Im sure he's put some feelers out but I doubt any GM really things they are gonna fleece the cheap ass Canes in a trade.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Literally the only goalies I'd consider trading Necas for are Sorokin, Saros and Shestyorkin. None of whom will get moved by their teams. Look at Florida handing Bobrovsky that huge contract as a free agent and him proceeding to absolutely suck for like 90% of his tenure there so far, save for 1 playoff run.

Love or hate the borg's approach, I am strongly in the camp of it being the best approach in net. Investing significant $ or assets in a trade for a goalie just doesn't make sense, especially one that doesn't have a track record within the organization. There are so few that you can truly count on. Many of the "legit #1"s out there can still be wildly inconsistent and suck badly at times. Goalies are voodoo, no matter how good their track record seems to be. There are a tiny handful of exceptions but those are the guys that don't get moved and get huge contracts from their original teams, like a Vasi or Price or Lundqvist

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
And as pointed out there just aren't many realistic options for that at the moment. Even beyond getting a good player like Necas, the other team has to be motivated to move on from a clear cut #1 goalie. I'm not seeing many scenarios like that around the league currently.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Why the talk of trading Necas. Many on this board were all in agreement with Ferraro’s comment about the Canes needing some 50 foot players. This is what a 50 foot player looks like.

Most of the time, 50 foot players produce more in those 50 feet than Necas does though. If you've got a player that turns over the puck as often as he does, you'll want him to score at least as many goals to make up for it.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Most of the time, 50 foot players produce more in those 50 feet than Necas does though. If you've got a player that turns over the puck as often as he does, you'll want him to score at least as many goals to make up for it.
Necas is a 60-70 point player (70 points last year on pace for 60 this year, but I bet it will be close to 70 when said and done).

There aren't a bunch of 50 foot players that score at a higher rate in the NHL. There are certainly some, but the top scoring players in the NHL aren't 50 foot players for the most part. I get it's subjective, but most of those guys play both ends of the ice. The Jeff Skinners and Mike Hoffmans of the world are more exceptions than rules now days. Even guys like Marner and Nylander play both ends of the ice these days (Marner always has).

Still, my point is that even if we say so, we really don't really want 50 foot players, we want guys that can score and are still good at least decent at defense.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Gibson retained wouldn't be a bad attempt to fix us for longer than this season.

Offense, we missed out on Tkachuk that would have probably made us a real threat Tkachuk-Aho-KK-Staal down the middle. RoR would have been a huge upgrade for us. We dabbled with Haula in order to upgrade, but he didn't fit our style.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Goalies don’t cost a Necas. Sure he’s infuriating but he’s also generally our most dynamic forward. I love Aho but he’s not the most aggressive guy, though he’s a more well rounded player. We have an oddball collection of forwards, we need all the top six guys to produce.

Rod clearly trusts him, he gets good minutes. We’d be a much slower team without him, and we certainly wouldnt be a better offensive team without him.

I’ve never understood the level of negativity the guy gets. I feel like this board has been down on him most of his career, but especially after he had his “down” year where he scored basically the same amount as he had the previous year.

The guy works his tail off imo, I wish we could like him for who he is instead of always complaining about what he’s not.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I’ve never understood the level of negativity the guy gets. I feel like this board has been down on him most of his career, but especially after he had his “down” year where he scored basically the same amount as he had the previous year.
That’s a little misleading when Necas scored 41 points in 53 games in an abbreviated 56 game 20-21 season, followed by 40 points in 78 games.

I agree this board has been hard on Necas, but length of season matters here.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Goalies don’t cost a Necas. Sure he’s infuriating but he’s also generally our most dynamic forward. I love Aho but he’s not the most aggressive guy, though he’s a more well rounded player. We have an oddball collection of forwards, we need all the top six guys to produce.

Rod clearly trusts him, he gets good minutes. We’d be a much slower team without him, and we certainly wouldnt be a better offensive team without him.

The guy works his tail off imo, I wish we could like him for who he is instead of always complaining about what he’s not.

"Who he is" is a streaky scorer that causes turnovers when he isn't scoring. He's Skinner at this point, and there's a reason we traded Skinner. And there's only a little while longer before he's going to ask for one of those monster contracts that he simply hasn't earned. So the option to trade him should be open, and better to start fielding offers earlier than later.

Reactions: Daeavorn

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That’s a little misleading when Necas scored 41 points in 53 games in an abbreviated 56 game 20-21 season, followed by 40 points in 78 games.

I agree this board has been hard on Necas, but length of season matters here.
Why does that season matter at all? He crushed the pts last year. Does that not eliminate any issues from the year before? He’s putting up his pts this year too. He makes a lot of big plays for us, and they’re often plays not many other guys on the team would/could make.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
"Who he is" is a streaky scorer that causes turnovers when he isn't scoring. He's Skinner at this point, and there's a reason we traded Skinner. And there's only a little while longer before he's going to ask for one of those monster contracts that he simply hasn't earned. So the option to trade him should be open, and better to start fielding offers earlier than later.
A Skinner comparison feels drastically overboard.
I generally agree with you about a lot of things and respect you but we’re going to be pretty far apart on this one. Necas would leave a much bigger gap in our lineup than Skinner did.

Unless we’re giving up on the season we wouldn’t subtract from the lineup like that, we tend to only add. I doubt he’s going anywhere, we’d use futures to acquire any player.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Dang. That sucks.

EDIT: 6.5 years later, this is an absolute bonkers top 5

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Dang. That sucks.

EDIT: 6.5 years later, this is an absolute bonkers top 5

You hate it for the young man, but I'm pretty glad that the one pick in this top five that turned into a bust and not a start was made by a Metro team.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
You hate it for the young man, but I'm pretty glad that the one pick in this top five that turned into a bust and not a start was made by a Metro team.
yeah, and frankly Hischier isn't really a superstar caliber 1st overall pick. he's very solid but easily a tier below picks 3-5. Metro had the top 2 picks and whiffed missing out on 3 legit superstar franchise players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad