Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
It looked like they were getting things right for a while, but then gave Mangipane only 1 game for cross checking another player's head to the ice while he was on top of him

And he got only 1 game despite Benn(?) getting 2 playoff games for doing the same thing.
Yep, this was the one that led to my comment. I don't disagree with any of the other recent suspensions but at least they occurred in normal hockey plays. No clue how Mangiapane only got 1 game; or how Benn only got 2 for his.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
It looked like they were getting things right for a while, but then gave Mangipane only 1 game for cross checking another player's head to the ice while he was on top of him

And he got only 1 game despite Benn(?) getting 2 playoff games for doing the same thing.
Does Mangiapne have a history? Benn does so it makes sense he got more in that case.

Reactions: geehaad

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Does Mangiapne have a history? Benn does so it makes sense he got more in that case.

Okay, but if we assume playoff games are “worth” more than regular season ones, and there’s some history in that assumption being true, then you’re saying that history is worth the difference of 3-4 games?

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Most likely no and they just spun the random wheel but it gives some potential reasoning.
I get where you're coming from but my confusion comes more from comparing the Mangiapane/Benn hits and suspensions vs that of Andersson and McAvoy (which I agree with both).

Why is driving a downed player headfirst into the ice like that punished less severely than a check to the head which can at least be deemed as part of a hockey play?

Reactions: CanesUltimate11

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
N
I get where you're coming from but my confusion comes more from comparing the Mangiapane/Benn hits and suspensions vs that of Andersson and McAvoy (which I agree with both).

Why is driving a downed player headfirst into the ice like that punished less severely than a check to the head which can at least be deemed as part of a hockey play?
No disagreement here, both should have been punished far more severely than they were.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm sure the Sharks players aren't trying to lose, but a DGAF mentality can build quickly though. You start losing and know your roster is sub-par and know you are going to be bad, it affects players. You aren't going to kill yourself to block a shot, you might give it 90% in a board battle, you might stop 1 stride short when back-checking, etc.. etc. It's not an indictment of the players, or coaches, it's human nature, especially for guys in their late 20s or early 30s.

It's easy for us to say "They are earning a salary, so suck it up", but being on a losing team with no chance for the playoffs from day 1 will wear them down.
I mean, how short our memories are. There but for the grace of god and all that- this franchise spent most of a decade with the majority of the roster, including the captain, playing in DGAF mode.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What a weird night of hockey.

Tampa was up 4-1 over the Leafs after 1st, Leafs came back to go up 5-4 (Matthews is very good), Tampa ties it late, Leafs win in OT.

Florida was up 3-0 on the Jackets, Jackets came back to make it 4-3, Florida ties it late, Florida wins in OT.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
What a weird night of hockey.

Tampa was up 4-1 over the Leafs after 1st, Leafs came back to go up 5-4 (Matthews is very good), Tampa ties it late, Leafs win in OT.

Florida was up 3-0 on the Jackets, Jackets came back to make it 4-3, Florida ties it late, Florida wins in OT.

It seemed like TOR was rolling just two lines for the entire third period. I know they didn't, but you never heard any of those guys called during game play. (Plus they stapled Reaves to the bench for the last two periods. I mean, I want to LOL at the Leafs as much as anyone, but why they keep rolling him out there is beyond me.) Anyway it was a fun game to watch.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
With Campbell being waived by Edmonton, I wonder if there's any chance we could get involved in a heavily retained deal to take him off their hands given what is going on with Freddie. He's not exactly been great, but he has absolutely zero defensive help in front of him, and maybe a change of scenery could do him well?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
With Campbell being waived by Edmonton, I wonder if there's any chance we could get involved in a heavily retained deal to take him off their hands given what is going on with Freddie. He's not exactly been great, but he has absolutely zero defensive help in front of him, and maybe a change of scenery could do him well?
office-space-no-man.gif

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Calgary has 22 shots, no goals.

Nashville had 5 shots earlier, 2 goals

Kadri and Huberdeau are salary cap drains. No effort or execution from either

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
This Avs/Devs game is only slightly nuts. Colton gets two for boarding and five for cross checking on the same shift. Devils tie the game on the 5 on 3 that follows (there was another previous penalty). Then the Avs answer back shorthanded on the remaining 6+ minutes of PP to take the lead back. Now the Devils take a dumb penalty to cancel out some of the long PP with 4 on 4.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Red wings look like the meh red wings (folks live some small sample sizes on the main board).

Colorado does get shut out and beats NJ. Calgary scores 4 in a row after allowing 2 goals on Nashville’s first 5 shots.

Flyers are the best. Start 5-2-1 the last 3 seasons and then fall flat. Gave SJ their first W.

Pens actually looked defensively solid while shutting out the red hot ducks.

Wild played like a good team to beat the Isles.

Fun stuff all around last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad