Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Some good stuff re: teams/Canes on the site:
Overview
Skating Speed
Skating Distance
(All Strengths, Even Strength, Power Play, Penalty Kill)
Shot Speed
Shot Location

1698066633290.png

Zone Time (All Strengths, Even Strength, Power Play, Penalty Kill)

1698066395511.png

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Some good stuff re: teams/Canes on the site:
Overview
Skating Speed
Skating Distance
(All Strengths, Even Strength, Power Play, Penalty Kill)
Shot Speed
Shot Location

View attachment 756560
Zone Time (All Strengths, Even Strength, Power Play, Penalty Kill)

View attachment 756559

I am gonna go waaaay out on a limb and say that part of the reason we *should* be elite defensively is the skating distance category. Part of it is the cycle and the dump. Our players skate a whole heck of a lot compared to other teams to play the man to man style and I think it works. It's brutal to play against our team a full game, on average, because we gap up and make you work for every inch of ice.

I say that knowing full well that we are doing a shit job of it so far this year, so this more is about last year.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
That’s a game changer for the online hockey fan. Corsi/Fenwick is no longer needed as a proxy for zone time/puck possession. Fast vs. slow is not up to the eye test anymore; Necas really is a less skilled version of MacKinnon in terms of crazy burst numbers. The shot location maps are easily digestible.
Yeah, we should finally be able to kill the shot attempt based crap. It's a ton of data and it'll take people a lot of time to learn how to use it, but this should be revolutionary.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
My point was that just like the other advanced stats we have, 75% of people aren’t going to know how to apply them properly.

More information is awesome and I do actually look forward to it.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Top shot speed for D last season. Orlov #1

Top skating speed for D last season. Hanifin #1. Burns on top 10

Interesting that Skjei equivalent to Slavin (I would have thought he would have been higher in League rankings).

btw: I wonder if the NHL captures shot accuracy from D men? A 100 mph shot that is 20' wide is meh.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Our top 5 d in the top 60 for speed, on one rush anyways. Plus Hanifin, Forsling, Faulk and……Dougie?!? Sneaky fast that museum lover was.

You’d think Tony would make that list if he played enough.

It's misleading based on his criteria of ATOI 21 min or greater. When I look at all defensemen who played at least 41 games AND have an ATOI of 21 minutes last season, it's only 71 defensemen total. If I make the selection ANY games played, there are still only 73 defensemen that averaged 21 min / game or greater.

So Dougie being #57 on the list, just above Fox and Savard who are notably slow skaters, means he's on the bottom end of the speed ranking.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

And to no one's surprise, the league caved the minute there was any pushback. Don't get me wrong, it's the right decision, but if they're going to change the policy the first time a player goes against it, why institute the policy in the first place?

no disagreement from me there, the official decision should have been along the lines of "the league will no longer be doing sponsored nights, individual players are still allowed to support the cause of their own volition during warmups". Taking the step of banning it outright was just as much nonsense as the idiots who were attacking players who chose not to participate. It's creating controversy out of nothing.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
no disagreement from me there, the official decision should have been along the lines of "the league will no longer be doing sponsored nights, individual players are still allowed to support the cause of their own volition during warmups". Taking the step of banning it outright was just as much nonsense as the idiots who were attacking players who chose not to participate. It's creating controversy out of nothing.

NHL's f*** ups/60 is off the chart, advanced stats back it up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad