Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Just curious, didn't Dom have the Canes as a team that would regress the last couple of years? Or am I mistaken.

Reactions: cptjeff

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Just curious, didn't Dom have the Canes as a team that would regress the last couple of years? Or am I mistaken.
Yep, his model takes the average of the prior 3 seasons, and that made Andersen look awful to his model because Andersen was both hurt and playing behind Toronto for that time, and his model doesn't bias things in favor of more recent performance, like Andersen being Vezina caliber instead of backup caliber, which is why he was always saying we would crash and burn right up until the end of the season.

His model also quite famously said that Dougie was carrying Slavin defensively. It's not exactly the best predictor of, well, anything.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I’m expecting a big season from Marteeeeen Naycash.
Disappointment can be a depressing thing....drink heavily. :D

Seriously, I think we'd all like to see a big season and more consistency from Marty. Until actual real gameplay happens, it remains a pretty significant roll of the dice. He did look okay in his 1st preseason outing even if he didn't score.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I as well am more of a believer in Pitt and Wash than I am of NYR, but a lot of that is just, well, I felt that way before last year. Honestly Pitt could win the division. They play so hard and pretty responsible defensively. A lot of the top dogs got worse this off-season, but I'd argue Pittsburgh didn't.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I as well am more of a believer in Pitt and Wash than I am of NYR, but a lot of that is just, well, I felt that way before last year. Honestly Pitt could win the division. They play so hard and pretty responsible defensively. A lot of the top dogs got worse this off-season, but I'd argue Pittsburgh didn't.
Pittsburgh defense got worse and less depth. They got a year older which isn’t necessarily a good thing with their injury history.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Pittsburgh defense got worse and less depth. They got a year older which isn’t necessarily a good thing with their injury history.
I see some similarities btn us and Pitt defensively. Both teams take on "project D" who have been historically mediocre and who have career seasons with Pittsburgh/Carolina. For example, Mike Matheson for Pitt and Brady Skjei for us. Much of it is just putting guys in the right situations and giving them time and a long leash to grow into the role. I think Jeff Petry will look really good for them. I don't think Ty Smith will ever be NHL material, but that's one where I could be wrong. I did like John Marino. Ultimately they moved out Marino and Matheson and got Rutta and Petry. I like that swap.

They are old as shit, but I've learned not to count out Crosby and co. They will fall off eventually, but it's the kind of thing I will refuse to predict it's happening until after it has happened. 😂

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
For the Ranger's, a lot of it will depend on what steps forward their young guys take. Laf, Chytl, Kakko, Miller, Kratsov, and Schneider. Also how close to last year will Shesterkin's performance be.

With Panarin, Fox, Kreider, Trouba, Zib, Trocheck, and Gauthier, they have some strong talent to go along with that youth.

If it all comes together, they could be the best team in the east.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
For the Ranger's, a lot of it will depend on what steps forward their young guys take. Laf, Chytl, Kakko, Miller, Kratsov, and Schneider. Also how close to last year will Shesterkin's performance be.

With Panarin, Fox, Kreider, Trouba, Zib, Trocheck, and Gauthier, they have some strong talent to go along with that youth.

The question with the Rangers is going to be depth. They lost quite a few offensive pieces, including Copp and Strome, and are relying a lot on young players taking huge steps forward, including unproven guys like Kravtsov, to compensate for that offensive loss. I still prefer Carolina taking the Metro crown, at least right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The question with the Rangers is going to be depth. They lost quite a few offensive pieces, including Copp and Strome,
1) Trocheck replaces Strome so I don't see that as a loss.
2) They only had Copp for 16 games and playoffs so while he performed very well, it had minimal impact on their regular season.

Of their top 10 scorers last year, they replace Strome with Trocheck and everyone else is back. Saying that "they've lost quite a few offensive pieces" is an exaggeration.

and are relying a lot on young players taking huge steps forward to compensate for that offensive loss. I still prefer Carolina taking the Metro crown, at least right now.

I clearly stated that their success will depend on the young guys taking a step forward. Nowhere did I say that they'll be a top team if those guys don't.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Boom Boom:
ratio3x2_1800.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
1) Trocheck replaces Strome so I don't see that as a loss.
2) They only had Copp for 16 games and playoffs so while he performed very well, it had minimal impact on their regular season.

Of their top 10 scorers last year, they replace Strome with Trocheck and everyone else is back. Saying that "they've lost quite a few offensive pieces" is an exaggeration.

I clearly stated that their success will depend on the young guys taking a step forward. Nowhere did I say that they'll be a top team if those guys don't.
I agree the Rangers are strong. Like you said so much depends on the youngsters growing for them to take the next step. Trocheck is a big step up over Strome imo so they’re better down the middle which was needed. I’m unsure of their d depth.

I just think Pitts has done a very good job of surrounding the two stud with good scoring wingers, Carter playing the JStaal role and I think they improved the D. If Petry clicks with the second pp unit they’re even stronger on special teams.

I give Pitts the nod but I think they won’t stay healthy so the Rangers with the young legs will run them over if they can’t.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

I like how you snuck former Canes preseason MVP Gauthier in there. I think he'll definitely have a chance to crack the 10 point mark this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad