Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
See this encourages me, we have a pretty damn solid record and this should revert back the other way sooner or later.
I dunno, based on the last few years of play, scoring less than expected more often than not is the rule rather than the exception, so I wouldn't expect too much of a swing. The last 2 years we finished 3rd overall in points but #8/9 in goal scoring, with out team shooting % ranking us #12/13 (9.8/9.9%). Right now we're #29 @ 8.3%...and that's WITH scoring 7G on 32 shots the other night. What do we see more often from this team, 4G on 20 shots? Or 2G on 40?

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I dunno, based on the last few years of play, scoring less than expected more often than not is the rule rather than the exception, so I wouldn't expect too much of a swing. The last 2 years we finished 3rd overall in points but #8/9 in goal scoring, with out team shooting % ranking us #12/13 (9.8/9.9%). Right now we're #29 @ 8.3%...and that's WITH scoring 7G on 32 shots the other night. What do we see more often from this team, 4G on 20 shots? Or 2G on 40?
seems like being ranked around 12 & 13 is the rule, not being bottom 4 in the league... The eye test matches. A bunch of guys flubbing easy chances they normally wouldn't miss, especially that top line of Turbo, Jarvis, Aho. I'm still not too concerned. If we're having the same conversation in a few months I will be though

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Re: the Canes scoring less than expected in the last few years, to put it in perspective (from NaturalStatTrick)

All situations over those 128 games the last 3 seasons:
- Canes goals for: 669
- Canes xGoals for: 682
So the Canes have scored 13 less goals than expected over 128 games in all situations, driven by 5v5 play, which means they were scoring 1 less goal than expected every 10 games.

This season:
- Canes goals for: 45
- Canes xGoals for: 55

So the Canes have scored 10 less goals than expected over 15 games. Quite a difference from prior seasons.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Dundon being sued by a Bankruptcy trustee for at least $184m over his failed investment in that football league.

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Was thinking that's probably a pretty normal day for him.
for-me-it-was-tuesday-general-bison.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean scoring has been our issue for a while. Its been what has unraveled each of our playoff runs during this current contention window. We go up against a tough defensive team who plays physical and we just wither and die.

We might bounce back over the second half of the season to make those numbers even out a bit, but its not going to solve the root issue of our forward lines, which is a complete lack of scoring. Patches could help, but we won't know that until February, and are really going to hinge our entire Cup chances this year on one man coming in and single handedly turning our scoring around?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
We are tied for 8th in goal differential at +7 to-date tracking to 35.88.....Last year we were 4th @ +76.

League is arguably tougher + we are not as good (yet??????).

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We're 16 games into the season. I'm willing to believe some of our scoring woes will work themselves out. If by game 25 or 30 we're still winning (albeit unconvincingly) and only 3 or 4 guys continue to carry us, then I'll be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad