Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My only genuine concern about the way that the Hurricanes handle business is that they seem totally fine with letting some of our very good players (borderline star in the case of Hamilton) sign large contracts inside the division. The last thing that I feel like Carolina should enable is our division becoming the NHL equivalent of the Champions League. A large chunk of it isn't controllable, of course, especially because Metro teams are ALL huge spenders and because New Jersey has been one of the luckiest teams in the draft for several years now, but it's still a risky way to run your roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: xigon

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Dougie and honestly even Ferland were more fan favorites than either Lindholm or Hanifin. Nothing against those two but that trade helped jump-start a new era of Hurricanes Hockey.
Ferland was so fun to watch. Sucks his career is over, guys that play like him are so few and far between these days. Probably because they can’t keep it up for a long time but still

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Dougie and honestly even Ferland were more fan favorites than either Lindholm or Hanifin. Nothing against those two but that trade helped jump-start a new era of Hurricanes Hockey.
That’s the narrative, but I think it’s a coincidence. Rod’s style jump-started the new era and I’m pretty sure both of those two players would have done just fine in Rod’s system. Dougie is miles better than Hanifin, so we did better there; but I think we’d be a much better team now if we had Aho/Lindohlm as out top six centers.

It is what it is, but those two players were not THE problem.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
That’s the narrative, but I think it’s a coincidence. Rod’s style jump-started the new era and I’m pretty sure both of those two players would have done just fine in Rod’s system. Dougie is miles better than Hanifin, so we did better there; but I think we’d be a much better team now if we had Aho/Lindohlm as out top six centers.

It is what it is, but those two players were not THE problem.

A lot of the issues with the Dougie trade would've been blown to pieces if the Canes had successfully convinced Fox to sign. Even still, though, it's debatable as to whether Lindholm would've had the same trajectory in Carolina as he would have in Calgary. Rees and Honka (two key returns from the Adam Fox transaction) continuing their very strong starts to their North American careers and becoming future NHL contributors are now also a couple of possible variables to watch out for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The re-hash of Dougie's UFA contract -- and all of the peripheral topics brought up once that discussion begins -- can be reduced to a flowchart at this point. If only I had the energy to create it, I think we could just post that as soon as someone makes the inevitable reply, and we'd all save ourselves a lot of time.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
As for Drury, I do think that he's looked good in an admittedly small sample size in the NHL. Again, though, I do wonder if he's a better roster fit for a worse team, similar to a lot of recent Canes prospects. If Vancouver keeps struggling, they will have middle center spots wide open for someone like him to get a good look in. Maybe Drury becomes a centerpiece for a significant offensive piece like Kuzmenko. If Necas can successfully transition to center, a lineup like this would be incredible:

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Pacioretty-Necas-Jarvis
Kuzmenko-Kotkaniemi-Stastny/Kase/Noesen
Martinook-Staal-Fast

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
My only genuine concern about the way that the Hurricanes handle business is that they seem totally fine with letting some of our very good players (borderline star in the case of Hamilton) sign large contracts inside the division. The last thing that I feel like Carolina should enable is our division becoming the NHL equivalent of the Champions League. A large chunk of it isn't controllable, of course, especially because Metro teams are ALL huge spenders and because New Jersey has been one of the luckiest teams in the draft for several years now, but it's still a risky way to run your roster.
I don’t understand this at all. If the Hurricanes don’t think Dougie is worth $9million why should they give a shit If someone else in the division does? If anything it’s a double bonus in their eyes.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Those two statements don't seem to be consistent with one another.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Those two statements don't seem to be consistent with one another.

In the right-now, I would argue that it is pretty consistent. Teams make signings like that for a present-term boost, and if teams in the Metro are signing players off of their rival, it certainly makes the standings race that much harder for Carolina, no matter what the long-term consequences are for the team that makes said signing.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I don’t understand this at all. If the Hurricanes don’t think Dougie is worth $9million why should they give a shit If someone else in the division does? If anything it’s a double bonus in their eyes.
Right? If anything, we want teams in the division giving out bad contracts. So when the time comes to pay their young stars, they can't.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Our defense is performing with 0.7 xGA but the offense is massively under performing. Hopefully we even out soon
I still wonder how much of their underperforming is a product of a decent chunk of roster turnover. New players never seem to step right in and play to their expectations on the Hurricanes. I think as long as they’re in the playoff picture there’s really no reason to panic. But if things haven’t improved by mid-season it will be interesting to see how the FO handles it.

If it were up to me I’d be giving KK about 15 more games, or trying Necas at center. And if things don’t get much better there then a #2 center becomes top priority, asap.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I still wonder how much of their underperforming is a product of a decent chunk of roster turnover. New players never seem to step right in and play to their expectations on the Hurricanes. I think as long as they’re in the playoff picture there’s really no reason to panic. But if things haven’t improved by mid-season it will be interesting to see how the FO handles it.

If it were up to me I’d be giving KK about 15 more games, or trying Necas at center. And if things don’t get much better there then a #2 center becomes top priority, asap.
It’s entirely possible but they are generating scoring opportunities despite the turnover. Just means we are struggling to finish goals we should.

Kotkaniemi has set up at least 2 goals that were missed by Svech and Jarvis. We blew how many open nets in the first Edmonton game? I think it was 3. That is just 5 of the 10 I can think of at the moment.

It does paint a positive picture of us generating plenty of scoring chances but we still struggle with finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad