Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Lundkvist trade helps us if he was the other option the Nucks were look at in the hopes to drive the prices down.

Fans of teams that have elite defensive groups always forget about how desperately coveted RHD are by teams that don't have them. Prices for such players are always through the roof.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Its a bad trade for Dallas, RHD or not. I would be less furious if we had done the deal because our 1st rounder is likely very low but still. For a kid who hasn’t cracked the lineup and doesn’t want to be a part of his current organization, definitely not giving up the top trade asset.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The bar for a 1st round pick to increase value is generally high. Lundkvist's development is going fine, but nothing crazy for the sheer fact that he's through D+4 and has proven nothing at the NHL level. Bean dropped a whole round in value just last year as an example of this.

The contractual situations with Lundkvist and Bean are very different, though, and aren't truly comparable with each other. Lundkvist has two ELC seasons remaining (with all of its value in terms of cap space) and is waivers exempt for both years, while Bean was an RFA in need of a new contract and would've required waivers to send down. This is why Bean returned a high 2nd instead of a late 1st in a trade despite proving that he could hang with NHLers.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The contractual situations with Lundkvist and Bean are very different, though, and aren't truly comparable with each other. Lundkvist has two ELC seasons remaining (with all of its value in terms of cap space) and is waivers exempt for both years, while Bean was an RFA in need of a new contract and would've required waivers to send down. This is why Bean returned a high 2nd instead of a late 1st in a trade despite proving that he could hang with NHLers.

I’m aware. If Lundkvist ended up being worth a bit more relative to his pedigree than Bean to his for those factors, that’s understandable. A mid-1st, the expected pick slot here, is a significant asset in this context, however. His trade value improved. That’s unusual.

You were commenting on why you felt on an island. For a prospect that many years in having done basically nothing at the NHL level, that concept is jarring.

EDIT: Value decay is the expectation. That didn’t occur here.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think it's a bit early to make any kind of judgment of the trade. Lundqvist just only turned 22. He's still basically an infant learning to walk. Playing defense in this league is very unforgiving.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Subban retires as well.
What a fall man, just 4 years ago he had his best season 16G-43A-59PTS and then just started falling off a cliff. I respect a lot of what he's done off-ice for charities and such, but he was also a Wilson-level intent-to-injure POS on the ice (headshots and slewfoots and flying elbows in preseason games my man?). Still weird to see a guy who was an All-Star not long ago retire at 33

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Thats a lot of money. I mean you have to pay it when you have a talent like him on your team, but between Makar and McKinnon, they have $20.5m tied up per year for the next forever. Some significant sacrifices will be necessary elsewhere unless the cap starts rising quickly in the future.

From everything I've seen the cap is supposed to increase substantially in 23-24; will probably cover most of Mac's raise.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Thats a lot of money. I mean you have to pay it when you have a talent like him on your team, but between Makar and McKinnon, they have $20.5m tied up per year for the next forever. Some significant sacrifices will be necessary elsewhere unless the cap starts rising quickly in the future.

Makar's current extension is a complete bargain relative to performance, though, which helps the situation a lot. Also, Erik Johnson's expiring $6M cap hit essentially pays for the MacKinnon extension.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I think we keep Aho at $10m/yr on his next deal, it won't be easy but we'll need to pay him that.

I have little question that the Canes will keep Aho unless, by some miracle, a true 1C candidate drops into their arms, either from their draft crop or via trade. For obvious reasons, neither are likely scenarios. I don't think that the Canes are afraid of paying true core pieces the big bucks.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Due is a 1.32 PPG player over the past 5 seasons, regular season AND playoffs...AND averages to 40G/yr (pace)

1663704536892.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad