Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Now that is some juicy bait but I ain't biting

No way
No sir
1663364968338.png

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think what *some* may forget, or find unimportant, is that this is the entertainment business. Cups are great - but there’s only one team that can win each year (I know, “more at 11”).

The idea of fielding a very competitive team every year, a team that realistically can win the Cup with some luck/breaks - but without “going for it” by mortgaging the future - is better for business. There are teams out there, markets out there, that can’t sustain a period of shit play without hemorrhaging fans and (I guess more importantly, money).

I don’t know what’s better (or worse) - winning a Cup and sucking for years on end afterwards, or being pretty good for 10 years straight.
I think we all know it's a business but I don't root for Dundon. I root for the Canes to win it all. Sure, there is a way to find a balance but even if your team blows for years on end, you can just sell and make a massive profit. See: Peter Karmanos.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think what *some* may forget, or find unimportant, is that this is the entertainment business. Cups are great - but there’s only one team that can win each year (I know, “more at 11”).

The idea of fielding a very competitive team every year, a team that realistically can win the Cup with some luck/breaks - but without “going for it” by mortgaging the future - is better for business. There are teams out there, markets out there, that can’t sustain a period of shit play without hemorrhaging fans and (I guess more importantly, money).

I don’t know what’s better (or worse) - winning a Cup and sucking for years on end afterwards, or being pretty good for 10 years straight.
I used to say from time to time that all I wanted was a team that was in the playoffs every year and a threat. I’d take that over stacking a team for one year any day. You never know what will make your team the cup champion and more often than not it’s a combo of unexpected but fleeting magical chemistry, the best period of consistency of your goalies career and luck with injuries. Just show up in the playoffs every year and see how it goes.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
ethan bear strongly rumored to vancouver with some really important sources having confirmed the interest from vancouver's side. what do you guys think regarding the return? it seems abnormal to me that they'd already be deciding this before camp, but maybe they're that sure on an inside the organization option. but who is it?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
ethan bear strongly rumored to vancouver with some really important sources having confirmed the interest from vancouver's side. what do you guys think regarding the return? it seems abnormal to me that they'd already be deciding this before camp, but maybe they're that sure on an inside the organization option. but who is it?

Dylan Coghlan is probably the guy that the organization really likes. The thing about the Bear situation is that the Canes have considerable leverage in the potential trade package because with the Patches LTIR, they are not against the cap in any sort of way. I would say that when you consider Carolina's lack of cap problems, the Canes should be able to get a 3rd rounder for him, and perhaps even a 2nd round-equivalent return considering that inexpensive and decently competent RHD are always coveted by teams. Look at the crazy contract that Gudbranson received in UFA for a combination of one good year and several seasons of "I have a pulse" caliber of play.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I would say that when you consider Carolina's lack of cap problems, the Canes should be able to get a 3rd rounder for him, and perhaps even a 2nd round-equivalent return considering that inexpensive and decently competent RHD are always coveted by teams. Look at the crazy contract that Gudbranson received in UFA for a combination of one good year and several seasons of "I have a pulse" caliber of play.
Bolded for overstatement.....

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Reading up on it, Vancouver would need to trade some salary away to make it work, and from a lot of what they're saying is that it would likely be Hoglander who would have to come back. Which..... would be a pretty good move for us to make to be honest.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Reading up on it, Vancouver would need to trade some salary away to make it work, and from a lot of what they're saying is that it would likely be Hoglander who would have to come back. Which..... would be a pretty good move for us to make to be honest.
Hoglander is also waiver-exempt I believe, so he could develop in Chicago for the year really...plus Svech can teach him how to do the Michigan/Svech at the NHL level (I think he did it in the SHL not long after Svetch)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Hoglander is also waiver-exempt I believe, so he could develop in Chicago for the year really...plus Svech can teach him how to do the Michigan/Svech at the NHL level (I think he did it in the SHL not long after Svetch)

He’s scored 3. First one in the video is an absolute beauty. He’s got a dman all over him and loses him with a self pass off the back of the net.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Part of me thinks Van is sniffing around about Bear just as they're asking about Nil Lundkvist just to try to bring the price down. Makes sense. Van is probably one of the only teams looking to add a piece on defense at this moment in time, so if they can find two suitors they can negotiate.

It's weird, but probably all of us are excited at the possibility of losing a player like Ethan Bear. It's not that he can't rebound and become a top 4 D, but it's also the fact that Vancouver might give us a 2nd especially if we take on the same salary back, which would be a little coup. Nils Hoglander would be amazing but seems like wishful thinking. The 2nd as well, probably.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Stars seem really dumb for that Lundkvist trade.

I don't agree. People forget that Lundkvist was a beast in the Swedish League relative to comparables in his age group. He was caught in a numbers game in New York because Braden Schneider, someone with higher draft pedigree, broke into the league in such a big way. In a spot like Dallas where he could potentially secure a top-4 position, he could really break out and become the Klingberg successor. It could genuinely be a great trade for both teams.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't agree. People forget that Lundkvist was a beast in the Swedish League relative to comparables in his age group. He was caught in a numbers game in New York because Braden Schneider, someone with higher draft pedigree, broke into the league in such a big way. In a spot like Dallas where he could potentially secure a top-4 position, he could really break out and become the Klingberg successor. It could genuinely be a great trade for both teams.
I'm not denying he could be good. But he requested a trade and has not proven enough for me to make that gamble if I'm a team in the position of Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad