Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
One of my buddies just told me the last time the leafs beat the coyotes, Shayne Corson scored the game winner.

It seems to good to be true but he swears he’s not making it up. I want to believe because it’s so incredible.

This might actually be partially true. I looked it up, and there's an article from a few years ago that says the Leafs haven't beaten the Coyotes in regulation at home since before the 04 lockout.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This might actually be partially true. I looked it up, and there's an article from a few years ago that says the Leafs haven't beaten the Coyotes in regulation at home since before the 04 lockout.
I figured there had to be some stipulations on it (at home, in regulation etc). I mean, it’s been 20 years since Corson was with the leafs.

As disappointing as Toronto are there’s just no way they haven’t beaten the yotes in 2 decades.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I figured there had to be some stipulations on it (at home, in regulation etc). I mean, it’s been 20 years since Corson was with the leafs.

As disappointing as Toronto are there’s just no way they haven’t beaten the yotes in 2 decades.
Must be at home in regulation. The win in 2020 in Toronto was in OT. The win in 2014 was in a shootout.

This page shows the full series history. No trouble in Arizona, but lots of issues in Toronto. Also didn't help they only played Arizona in Toronto 3 times between 2003 and 2014.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Toronto is trying to make losing to teams tanking for Bedard a habit.

The Penguins look good right now as well. Doesn’t hurt that none of them are.
Meh, they stomped Arizona, then Tampa who seemed to start off crappy last year too, then lost to Montreal. They've still got life left and get generous officiating most of the time, but they're definitely a downward-trending team right now.

Just checked and Tampa lost to Pitt 6-2 in the opener last year as well
1666098646127.png

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Hooo boy the Rangers circle jerk is in mid season form already this year on HFB
Yea, they stomped Anaheim who squeaked by Seattle and got destroyed by NYI 7-1, Minny who have 6.67 GAA through 3 games, and Tampa who's 1-2 to start...really taking the league by storm. They look good to start for sure, they have some elite talent, but let's reign that in just a bit.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yea, they stomped Anaheim who squeaked by Seattle and got destroyed by NYI 7-1, Minny who have 6.67 GAA through 3 games, and Tampa who's 1-2 to start...really taking the league by storm. They look good to start for sure, they have some elite talent, but let's reign that in just a bit.
Ok, sure. Don't look at our record, though. We beat three teams that each could conceivably be in the Bedard sweepstakes. I'm not going to criticize anyone's record until I see how we do over the next two games.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Ok, sure. Don't look at our record, though. We beat three teams that each could conceivably be in the Bedard sweepstakes. I'm not going to criticize anyone's record until I see how we do over the next two games.
But we didn't also lose to a bad team like they did, and as mentioned above we're not proclaiming ourselves Cup favorites like several in the main boards are for the Rags.

Don't get me wrong, the Rags are a very good team on paper this year. But I really think their over-reliance on special teams and goaltending will do them in. It somehow held up throughout the season and playoffs last year, I don't see that happening again this year through the playoffs, those things dry up to some degree eventually for every team. They go through ups and downs and the Rags are riding a very long high right now. Also, I think they're in real danger of peaking too early.

Like you said we'll see how things play out, not just over the next two games, but this whole season. I think the team has learned after the last few years that it's a marathon and the only sprint for us will come playoff time. In past seasons we've sprinted at various points in the regular season because we've needed to. Now we don't need to and it's more about getting in and then clicking at the right time, using the regular season to set ourselves up for that point in the playoffs. I think this is what Tampa learned before they finally won it.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

Kuznetsov with the totally normal play.. 2 minute minor accessed

I really don't get how something like that is not an automatic 5 (and game frankly) No puck near him so you can't claim to be making a play. Just a pure frustration/retaliation play for being knocked around/shoved.

And I get he's not aiming for the face but it still ends up being a retaliatory slash to the face. Should be done for the night.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I really don't get how something like that is not an automatic 5 (and game frankly) No puck near him so you can't claim to be making a play. Just a pure frustration/retaliation play for being knocked around/shoved.

And I get he's not aiming for the face but it still ends up being a retaliatory slash to the face. Should be done for the night.

Instead he stayed in the game and assisted on the tying, go-ahead and insurance goal in the third.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad