GDT: Around the League | '22-'23 II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
As a Cowtown resident I can tell you that the game last night has led some to call for heads on spikes as early as this morning. One head looks like Tre, the other seems to vaguely resemble Sutter.

Sutter has long been the Billy Martin of the NHL. He comes in and shakes the team up which results in an uptick but his demeanor starts to wear thin soon enough and then he is shown the door.

As for Tre, well if I was Edwards I would have no problem in firing him but I note that his contract is up in a few months anyway. Those panic moves just didn't make sense. He has handicapped his team for a decade.
Probably doesn’t help that I doubt the players actually understand what he is saying half the time. Talks like he’s got marbles in his mouth. Ofc they don’t understand the systems!!!

And yes. Also as a resident of Calgary myself, most of the city is pretty “well what now” and they expect moves to be made. Tre likely very much gone. No point doing it now. He will just be gone in the off-season. Lanny for GM! Hehe

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

in 3 years, they'll have a 34 year old Coleman, a 35 year old Kadri and a 32 year old Huberdeau taking up 22.4 million of cap space LMAO

it's all good cause 32 year old Mackenzie Weegar will finally become a top-pairing defenseman we were all told he was at the time of the trade
hahaha

imagine if Treliving's ego didn't get in the way and they could have traded Huberdeau and Weegar for futures at the deadline lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The amount of abuse I took this summer criticizing the Kadri and Huberdeau signings...

They were at the very least due a 30 goal regression on their previous season's GF. It's actually much worse.

I know it's difficult hearing it from the fan of a close rival, but take a step back. That team is built really poorly. A core of players heading into their 30s, very few actual goalscorers and a severe lack of true elite talent. Surprise! You're a bubble team.
I was only getting sarcastic likes as pushback. I was absolutely panning the Flames moves for good reason and noting specifically:

Where are the goals coming from?

Who are the Drivers in that lineup?

How would the team survive losing their two biggest offensive weapons and that basically ran their offense?

That Weegar is vastly overrated.

That Kadri is infamously inconsistent from one season to the next. The likelihood was that this would be a fallback season.

The lineup is so full of holes that players like Toffoli are being required to try to drive offense. Its never been his game. To his credit he's tried hard. He's probably been their best offensive performer and creater which just goes to show how f***ed Flames are because Toffoil is far from elite in driving pts or possession.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Even more fun? Only one of those contracts is coming off the books next season and one of those other guys is going to be sucking up almost all of the cap space that would have opened up.
I generally respect Backlund. He’s a good player. The contract in itself is fine to me for the most part.

But then yeah. You look at the rest of that. Looks pretty bleak for the next few years.

That huberdeau contract might end out being one of the worst in the NHL. Dare I say worse than Nurses!!!

I was only getting sarcastic likes as pushback. I was absolutely panning the Flames moves for good reason and noting specifically:

Where are the goals coming from?

Who are the Drivers in that lineup?

How would the team survive losing their two biggest offensive weapons and that basically ran their offense?

That Weegar is vastly overrated.

That Kadri is infamously inconsistent from one season to the next. The likelihood was that this would be a fallback season.

The lineup is so full of holes that players like Toffoli are being required to try to drive offense. Its never been his game. To his credit he's tried hard. He's probably been their best offensive performer and creater which just goes to show how f***ed Flames are because Toffoil is far from elite in driving pts or possession.
How anyone didn’t see Kadri as a pure outliers season on a stacked avalanche team is just bizarre. Kadri is an effective player but his point totals last year were so inflated. People need to look at averages for him. Nothing comes close to the season he had last year.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The amount of abuse I took this summer criticizing the Kadri and Huberdeau signings...

They were at the very least due a 30 goal regression on their previous season's GF. It's actually much worse.

I know it's difficult hearing it from the fan of a close rival, but take a step back. That team is built really poorly. A core of players heading into their 30s, very few actual goalscorers and a severe lack of true elite talent. Surprise! You're a bubble team.
Really? I remember most Oiler fans predicting that the flames would significantly regress.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I generally respect Backlund. He’s a good player. The contract in itself is fine to me for the most part.

But then yeah. You look at the rest of that. Looks pretty bleak for the next few years.

That huberdeau contract might end out being one of the worst in the NHL. Dare I say worse than Nurses!!!

How anyone didn’t see Kadri as a pure outliers season on a stacked avalanche team is just bizarre. Kadri is an effective player but his point totals last year were so inflated. People need to look at averages for him. Nothing comes close to the season he had last year.
-The Backlund contract has always been one of the worst in the league. Huge salary and long term deal for a very mediocre player.

-Mangiapane, Hubs and the Kad were all coming off career seasons and will be a huge weight around the club's neck for years to come.

-Weegar makes more dough than Ekholm but obviously isn't in the same league. Weegar will also be 36 by the time the contract expires.

-If Lanny is coming in he's going to have a tough time fixing this mess.

-The only good news is that Lucic is coming off the books and will be redecorating restaurants around Calgary in his new career.

• Haha
Reactions: Ibanez and Oilhawks

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
fdd65251b1f5a708641a5dc8e80f7a49.png

LMFAO I was blocked by Eric Francis HAHAHA! I have no clue what I even said to make him block me! Kinda comical!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The collective boner the hockey world popped for them last off season was one of the more illogical things I’ve ever seen.

I don’t know why it was so difficult for so many to grasp that dismantling one of the more dominant 5v5 top lines in the last 20 years (and the line that drove all their offense at that) and simply replacing them with random players from other teams coming off career years wont just click.

In the off season there seemed to be a competition among media personalities to see who could most loudly say "actually I think they're better!" Incredibly dumb and annoying.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Probably doesn’t help that I doubt the players actually understand what he is saying half the time. Talks like he’s got marbles in his mouth. Ofc they don’t understand the systems!!!

And yes. Also as a resident of Calgary myself, most of the city is pretty “well what now” and they expect moves to be made. Tre likely very much gone. No point doing it now. He will just be gone in the off-season. Lanny for GM! Hehe
Isn't Lanny just another used car salesman?

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks and Ibanez

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
The collective boner the hockey world popped for them last off season was one of the more illogical things I’ve ever seen.

I don’t know why it was so difficult for so many to grasp that dismantling one of the more dominant 5v5 top lines in the last 20 years (and the line that drove all their offense at that) and simply replacing them with random players from other teams coming off career years wont just click.

In the off season there seemed to be a competition among media personalities to see who could most loudly say "actually I think they're better!" Incredibly dumb and annoying.
Somewhere Kelly Hrudey is crying.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Man the hosts of 960 were ripping into the Flames real good in the post game show last night. Certainly worth staying up late to hear lol.

They are right where all of us want them to be. Not in a playoff spot and not low enough in the standings to have any real shot at Bedard. Perpetual mediocrity for years to come after we punted them last year. Excellent.

That new Huberdeau contact is going to be like a mega dump truck without wheels. Completely immovable, useless, and a massive waste of space. :wg:
Imagine how pissed they will be when they find out that Treliving is going into the Oilers Hall of Fame ( on the 1st ballot, no less).

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Really? I remember most Oiler fans predicting that the flames would significantly regress.
On the main boards, yes.

The majority of the hockey world viewed Calgary's offseason as a success and many saw the Flames as an early division favorite.

I couldn't believe that the hockey world couldn't see that the seasons that Huberdeau, Kadri, Lindholm and Mangiapane had last season were all significant outliers.

I don't think that anyone could've projected the defensive collapse they've had this season. But yeah, we all knew they sucked.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Calgary might as well delay building a new building for another decade as it will take them that long to recover from their albatross contracts.

They can’t even fill the dump they play in now never mind the glorified Target they were going to build.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Calgary might as well delay building a new building for another decade as it will take them that long to recover from their albatross contracts.

They can’t even fill the dump they play in now never mind the glorified Target they were going to build.

Terrible timing for their team being shitty. Their fickle fans weren’t warm to the idea of a new arena to begin with, that support will drop further with everyone off the wagon.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Sounds like the Bruins got some favorable officiating there to stay tied 2-2.
Amazing how that works.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Only 5 teams are below .500 against the Flames: Seattle, Florida, San Jose, Arizona, Dallas.

So much for the "we can beat good teams" narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad