GDT: Around the League | '22-'23 II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think Korpisalo is under valued. Has had significant down years tied to mediocre teams but has demonstrated ability to lock in and win games and playoff series. Gavrikov can be gravy in addressing LA's left defense need. Moving out Quick to do it is a great piece of business, absolutely. Kings are the match up I like the least for the Oilers. Now with a goalie who can steal games.
Its quite amazing how much controversy there is in LA on this deal. This is the type of deal a fan of success should want their GM to be making. Living in the past is a losing proposition. Quick has not been an adequate goalie since before the pandemic. When a deal like this happens re: a SC winning veteran theres all these feels. But the emotional component of those is involved in a decade ago, not the current. Its a business. What can you do now applies. Its hilarious that LA fans think Doughty and Kopitar are going to be disaffected by the move. Seravelli is a village idiot. He's just trying to find some angle that isn't there. Theres two players on the whole Kings team that are left that have any affinity to Quick. They're the only ones. They would know it too, they would know the room. Theres no way, zero, that those two veterans are going to be selfish enough to have an appreciable reaction to this. They're pro's. They will go along with what was best for the team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If Quick is "unhappy" about the trade maybe he could have done something as a handsomely paid pro to actually compete in any games this season. indeed just confirming the follow up over several months this season, starting at end of November, in last 14 starts Quick has been subpar in 13 of those. Multiple of those he ran shocking under .800 numbers. He only had one game in 3mths of play, against Arizona, who basically can't score where he was over .900 in a game.

yet lol one of the press releases say that Quick was again "gearing up for playoffs" he was gearing up to getting pulled basically any night he was getting over the last month.

Goes in infamy that his last game as a king he played 20mins, gave up 3GA in 7sog. Just hilariously bad. two of the stops were dump ins. Unfortunately not in isolation Quick faced the insult several times this season of being pulled and even on a team where he was the alleged starter. But was no longer capable. Quick had a brief rebirth last season but really after 17-18 he hasn't been much. thats half a dozen years ago. Thats a longtime in hockey.

Reactions: McWeber

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Calgary still too close for comfort. Our two games against Winnipeg will be huge for both teams.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Its quite amazing how much controversy there is in LA on this deal. This is the type of deal a fan of success should want their GM to be making. Living in the past is a losing proposition. Quick has not been an adequate goalie since before the pandemic. When a deal like this happens re: a SC winning veteran theres all these feels. But the emotional component of those is involved in a decade ago, not the current. Its a business. What can you do now applies. Its hilarious that LA fans think Doughty and Kopitar are going to be disaffected by the move. Seravelli is a village idiot. He's just trying to find some angle that isn't there. Theres two players on the whole Kings team that are left that have any affinity to Quick. They're the only ones. They would know it too, they would know the room. Theres no way, zero, that those two veterans are going to be selfish enough to have an appreciable reaction to this. They're pro's. They will go along with what was best for the team.
It's funny how these players want max term into years they aren't likely to perform but then cannot fathom being dumped once they suck.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He spent his whole career there and won them 2 cups. It’s not just cap dumping some over the hill player.
Its a Team sport. Several of the LA Kings were "dumped" once they ceased being the players and individuals the team needed to succeed. This is the way in pro sports and among all teams that seek to remain compeititve. But here we are on the Oilers board that dumped a whole legend team for reasons other than performance having this discussion. Kopitar and Doughty continue to be Kings because they continue to be useful. If they are not, ultimately they are gone. Most people work in situations and expectations that are not unlike that in 2023. In my own field the moment you cease to be able to do ALL the aspects of a job Management starts expressing concerns. Quick could no longer play the game. It wasn't for a short while. No team in the league WOULD want this version of Quick. Columbus doesn't even have intention to use him. Qo Quick just gets to stay in LA or wherever he likes and gets paid millions. Thats not exactly an awful situation.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It’s a Team sport. Several of the LA Kings were "dumped" once they ceased being the players and individuals the team needed to succeed. This is the way in pro sports and among all teams that seek to remain compeititve. But here we are on the Oilers board that dumped a whole legend team for reasons other than performance having this discussion. Kopitar and Doughty continue to be Kings because they continue to be useful. If they are not, ultimately they are gone. Most people work in situations and expectations that are not unlike that in 2023. In my own field the moment you cease to be able to do ALL the aspects of a job Management starts expressing concerns. Quick could no longer play the game. It wasn't for a short while. No team in the league WOULD want this version of Quick. Columbus doesn't even have intention to use him. Qo Quick just gets to stay in LA or wherever he likes and gets paid millions. Thats not exactly an awful situation.
Yeah yeah.

I hope we don’t do the same to Drai when he signs and wins us multiple cups and wants to finish a career Oiler. :thumbu:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah yeah.

I hope we don’t do the same to Drai when he signs and wins us multiple cups and wants to finish a career Oiler.
As an org we have done that so many times. No matter the level of player it is. conversely the org has had it done to them multiple times, players deciding to leave and wanting to in middle of their careers. its the nature of contractual pro sports. it isn't strange. Its that dynamic function that contracts and high expectations at the highest rung of endeavor lead to departures and arrivals. Its the nature of pro sports in capped times especially.

It isn't at all rare for players to move on. Its rare when they don't and play whole careers on clubs. Its rarer still among Canadian clubs for a whole host of other reasons. Indeed Nuge might be the first in the history of the Oilers to play his whole career here. Nobody else that has been a career player has.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
As an org we have done that so many times. No matter the level of player it is. conversely the org has had it done to them multiple times, players deciding to leave and wanting to in middle of their careers. its the nature of contractual pro sports. it isn't strange. Its that dynamic function that contracts and high expectations at the highest rung of endeavor lead to departures and arrivals. Its the nature of pro sports in capped times especially.

It isn't at all rare for players to move on. It’s rare when they don't and play whole careers on clubs. It’s rarer still among Canadian clubs for a whole host of other reasons. Indeed Nuge might be the first in the history of the Oilers to play his whole career here. Nobody else that has been a career player has.
Name one career Oiler who we have dumped half a season before retirement.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It's funny how these players want max term into years they aren't likely to perform but then cannot fathom being dumped once they suck.
i think one ingredient in successful people is a degree of self confidence that fails to recognize when they have ceased to be great or even good at what they do. The biggest challenge for many professionals is knowing how to go out of their games at the right times. Many top players from Guy Lafleur to Quick haven't properly recognized when they ought get off the train. Those that don't end up getting tons of pain and perceived disrespect. In some cases players or coaches or managers that have overstayed their useful time in the game have kind of deepsixed their whole career repuration. For instance guys like Kevin Lowe.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Name one career Oiler who we have dumped half a season before retirement.
Wait, so we're better because we dump players years earlier, or in the middle of their careers. The Oilers are better because they've dragged players through the mud and sullied their reputations, even ruining their hockey careers like in the case of Souray, Comrie, etc?

C'mon. Oilers don't get any high road medals in this. We're the org that sold Wayne Gretzky on the dollar.

That said this era I've mentioned isn't one work place for people from youth to retirement. The world has ceased being that decades ago. Especially for conracted professionals. Tenure is rare in the world.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Wait, so we're better because we dump players years earlier, or in the middle of their careers. The Oilers are better because they've dragged players through the mud and sullied their reputations, even ruining their hockey careers like in the case of Souray, Comrie, etc?

C'mon. Oilers don't get any high road medals in this. We're the org that sold Wayne Gretzky on the dollar.

That said this era I've mentioned isn't one work place for people from youth to retirement. The world has ceased being that decades ago. Especially for conracted professionals. Tenure is rare in the world.
I didn’t think selling Wayne was right either.

Comrie.. oh lord.

We haven’t been in this situation ever and quit acting like we have.

If Drai signs long term and we win multiple cups and he wants to retire a CAREER Oiler. You would be okay blindsiding him and sending him to Arizona in the last half of his last season?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I didn’t think selling Wayne was right either.

Comrie.. oh lord.

We haven’t been in this situation ever and quit acting like we have.

If Drai signs long term and we win multiple cups and he wants to retire a CAREER Oiler. You would be okay blindsiding him and sending him to Arizona in the last half of his last season?
I don't think the notion of what clubs make mistakes or live in glass houses need be contained in exacting situations and you would some exception to anything I listed as example.

We just traded Barrie, who signed on a discount here under false promise that he was signing that discount to be part of something special here and the only reason he signed so cheap. We traded that player and his contract. pro business sucks doesn't it. People get hurt.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don't think the notion of what clubs make mistakes or live in glass houses need be contained in exacting situations and you would some exception to anything I listed as example.

We just traded Barrie, who signed on a discount here under false promise that he was signing that discount to be part of something special here and the only reason he signed so cheap. We traded that player and his contract. pro business sucks doesn't it. People get hurt.
Barrie lol again not close to being comparable. So you would be okay with the Drai Scenario then.

Agree to disagree.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
OK with the Drai scenario? I'm realistic about what scenarios occur in the untidy world of pro sports. They're often messy. I'm on an Oilers board apparently having to state this.
I don’t agree with you at all and your comparisons are laughable.

Again agree to disagree.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don’t agree with you at all and your comparisons are laughable.

Again agree to disagree.
Nothing like reasonable discourse in the AM. Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries. ;)

jk aside but you probably noticed but our own personal opinions have no bearing, none, not one iota, on what occurs in the real world.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Haha right? I’m sure your parents smell like a morning meadow.
Hopefully they both Rest In Peace. They had a tremendous tendency to argue for days, weeks, years. heh. It appears its in my DNA.

Not to get too philosophic but the ability to have means of discourse, disagreement, in any discussion is the only way it occurs. Without which we're just on twitter flinging mud. No, I don't go there.

This is my only social media vice.

cheers

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Judging by the HFCanucks board about half of their posters are done with the team after the Hronek trade.

God I love watching people throw temper tantrums on this site.

Lmao.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad