Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He’s an awesome shutdown guy for sure, if not the best one in the league. But he’s a symptom of the problems in Carolina. I just don’t think he has enough X factor. I think he’s down the list of problems in Carolina as I think it’s the forwards who are the biggest problems, but he‘s more of the same with that team. Good to great defense/2 Way play, but he’s not someone who can influence the game offensively when they need the tide to be turned.
I agree with a lot that has been said including your post, but watch that pairing against the Florida series, all the mistakes are in the defensive zone. Him getting levelled by Bennett is the cherry on top of what was a disaster series for him and Burns.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
lol @ "not comparable"

Aho is in the same tier as (prime) ROR and Eichel. In fact in any 1C rankings Eichel and Aho would have to be right next to each other as their stats are nearly identical.

But yea, one team just won the cup and the other choked again. Recency bias is a thing.
He's not in the same tier at all. Sebastian Aho being the best forward on the Hurricanes (and arguably best player) is why the Hurricanes can't get to the SCF. He's not Eichel, and he's not prime ROR.

There's no recency bias happening at all. You're way overrating Aho or way underrating Eichel, O'Reilly, Pietrangelo and Stone.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He's not in the same tier at all. Sebastian Aho being the best forward on the Hurricanes (and arguably best player) is why the Hurricanes can't get to the SCF. He's not Eichel, and he's not prime ROR.

There's no recency bias happening at all. You're way overrating Aho or way underrating Eichel, O'Reilly, Pietrangelo and Stone.
Aho would be the worst Cup winning 1C in a long time. Good player but not a C that can carry a team to a cup. If they had a franchise C I think they’d be fine on the wing. But not getting Tkachuk looks to be a major miss for that franchise.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think you can lay out a lot of reasons why Carolina hasn't won a Cup with this core... and in reality it is probably a combination of them all. You can win with Aho as a 1C, you just need better players around him. You can probably win with the system they have, you just need better center depth. You can win with the goals they typically put up, but you need a guy who can create goals from nothing when it counts. You can win with an average goalie, but that goalie ideally has to stay healthy. etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

Yeah, he's better than ROR. Not even particularly close either.

ROR had that one magical run, just like Binnington. He's a #2C in every other way.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He doesn't score enough points to be a #1. And scoring is what the Canes lack.
He was scoring ~60pts a year during a pretty low scoring era of hockey while being a top ~5 defensive forward in the NHL. Unless we’re saying Bergeron wasn’t a 1C when he was only scoring ~55pts a season.

Reactions: lionsDen

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He was scoring ~60pts a year during a pretty low scoring era of hockey while being a top ~5 defensive forward in the NHL. Unless we’re saying Bergeron wasn’t a 1C when he was only scoring ~55pts a season.
Because they won. If they hadn't, it would have been because they didn't have a good enough high scoring 1C and #1 goalie.

Reactions: Balthazar

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm willing to retract and say fine, he's a #1C. But he's not a better #1C than Aho. Frankly, because Aho scores more, I'd rather have him than Bergeron TBH. Defence by forwards is f***ing overrated, see MacK, McDavid. I want a guy who can score. And while Aho's production still leaves something to be desired in the playoffs, he's more capable of doing that than say ROR or Bergeron.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm willing to retract and say fine, he's a #1C. But he's not a better #1C than Aho. Frankly, because Aho scores more, I'd rather have him than Bergeron TBH. Defence by forwards is f***ing overrated, see MacK, McDavid. I want a guy who can score. And while Aho's production still leaves something to be desired in the playoffs, he's more capable of doing that than say ROR or Bergeron.
I agree offense should definitely take precedence. But I think I’d rather have an ROR who provides a little bit less offense than Aho but is a significant upgrade defensively. With Aho you don’t get enough of either.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I agree offense should definitely take precedence. But I think I’d rather have an ROR who provides a little bit less offense than Aho but is a significant upgrade defensively. With Aho you don’t get enough of either.
I wouldn't if I was the Hurricanes. Because they are good enough defensively. They need scoring on top of Aho. ROR would be a major downgrade.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Ooooof

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
You’d rather have Aho than a sure fire 1st ballot HHOFer?

Everyone remembers the 2011 Tim Thomas playoff run but there were quotes after the Final coming out from the Canucks along the lines of ‘Thomas was great but the guy that really killed us was Bergeron’. Still waiting for Aho to have a Bergeron level playoff impact (Cup or not)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I think people forget how good Eichel is. His last playoffs should have reminded folks. Guess not. Only reason he didnt get the Smythe was because he was so unlucky in the finals. Not sure how many posts he hit or how often he got robbed.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just watch a Canadian Sportsnet broadcast. It's all betting, all the time.
Sports media (and traditional media in general) are having a real tough time right now. Look at how many people lost their jobs with the Athletic and Bell media (TSN) in the last year alone.

On the French side the biggest media (Quebecor) is seriously threatening to shut down TVA Sports because they burn too much money.

This is just the tip of the iceberg because advertisers spend their money on Facebook and Google now where they can target their customers better. It's not going well.

Last edited:
Reactions: henchman21

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Sports media (and traditional media in general) are having a real tough time right now. Look at how many people lost their jobs with the Athletic and Bell media (TSN) in the last year alone.

On the French side the biggest media (Quebecor) is seriously threatening to shut down TVA Sports because they burn too much money.

This is just the tip of the iceberg because advertisers spend their money on Facebook and Google now where they can target their customers better. It's not going well.
Are you saying you’re allowed to have advertisements for things other than sports betting?

Rogers shelling out what they did for the broadcast rights in Canada was stupid. Terrible product too. I want NHL Live back. SN Now sucks right down to having to watch commercials again and them being almost exclusively about gambling or that inpatient psychiatric facility on the Sunshine Coast that makes me laugh every time

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You’d rather have Aho than a sure fire 1st ballot HHOFer?

Everyone remembers the 2011 Tim Thomas playoff run but there were quotes after the Final coming out from the Canucks along the lines of ‘Thomas was great but the guy that really killed us was Bergeron’. Still waiting for Aho to have a Bergeron level playoff impact (Cup or not)
If I was the Canes, yes. In a hypothetical situation where we would have to replace MacKinnon with Aho or Bergeron for our cup run (assuming we are talking prime players here), I might go with Bergeron because we had such much better winger depth to surround him with than what Carolina has.

Frankly, I just wonder if the playing style of Carolina seriously masks their mediocre (up front) forward roster because that style of play will do wonders during the regular season. Just shoot from everywhere, constant pressure etc. But in the playoffs everything tightens up, and you need more individual talent and special teams to work. And they just don't have enough talent up front. You can say Aho is not a top #1C (I think he's on the fringe of top-10), but that's not really an issue you can solve easily. Franchise top centers don't come up very often. Wingers are easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad